The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kuks
That's why I want us to do the deals early. Before other clubs come in and steal them. We can match transfer prices and wages. We just need to "sell our project" to them.

We're partly in a limbo position anyway. Take M'Vila for example. Even if we agreed a fee with the club, he'd probably delay on signing and get his agent to sound out more interest to see if a CL club will come in - so we probably wouldn't be able to sign him early anyway.

We really are stuck in a ****** place with transfers. Too much of a reputation to get tranfer fees/wages on the cheap, not enough quality at the moment to have players want to sign for us currently.

Will be a really interesting summer anyway. We've obviously closed up shop though, you don't really hear that many rumours early. Had people heard about the Comolli sack until it happened?
Original post by Zerforax
We're partly in a limbo position anyway. Take M'Vila for example. Even if we agreed a fee with the club, he'd probably delay on signing and get his agent to sound out more interest to see if a CL club will come in - so we probably wouldn't be able to sign him early anyway.

We really are stuck in a ****** place with transfers. Too much of a reputation to get tranfer fees/wages on the cheap, not enough quality at the moment to have players want to sign for us currently.

Will be a really interesting summer anyway. We've obviously closed up shop though, you don't really hear that many rumours early. Had people heard about the Comolli sack until it happened?

Rumours regarding M'Vila have it that the likes of Inter Milan and Madrid were involved. If Arsenal have somehow managed to pull of that signing, it would be decent considering that competition. I guess have Wenger as the manager has something to do with it.

I personally feel that Dalglish doesn't have that type of pull as a manager over possible transfers.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Rumours regarding M'Vila have it that the likes of Inter Milan and Madrid were involved. If Arsenal have somehow managed to pull of that signing, it would be decent considering that competition. I guess have Wenger as the manager has something to do with it.

I personally feel that Dalglish doesn't have that type of pull as a manager over possible transfers.

Definately a strong coup by Arsenal. I wouldn't say Inter are any better than Arsenal and M'Vila would probably know he'd be a back up to Khedera if he went to Madrid.

Tbh a young French player, in most cases will go to Arsenal since he knows he will get game time.

In a way it's very odd that Kenny wouldn't have that pull. He achieved a lot as a player and as a manger for Liverpool and then success again with Blackburn. Yet he doesn't seem as well known as you'd think he would be?
Definately a strong coup by Arsenal. I wouldn't say Inter are any better than Arsenal and M'Vila would probably know he'd be a back up to Khedera if he went to Madrid.

Tbh a young French player, in most cases will go to Arsenal since he knows he will get game time.

In a way it's very odd that Kenny wouldn't have that pull. He achieved a lot as a player and as a manger for Liverpool and then success again with Blackburn. Yet he doesn't seem as well known as you'd think he would be?

The problem is, his success was during the birth of the Premier league era (as reference to a time-frame) whilst the likes of Ferguson, Guardiola, Mourinho and to an extent Wenger have achieved success recently. If you think about it, the likes of M'Vila would've just been born or there about when Kenny won the League with Liverpool. Same goes for most players in their prime now, they were quite young when Kenny was a success. Now the media have essentially tainted his reputation (some of it justified) and hence doesn't look attractive to possible transfer targets.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8384
The problem is, his success was during the birth of the Premier league era (as reference to a time-frame) whilst the likes of Ferguson, Guardiola, Mourinho and to an extent Wenger have achieved success recently. If you think about it, the likes of M'Vila would've just been born or there about when Kenny won the League with Liverpool. Same goes for most players in their prime now, they were quite young when Kenny was a success. Now the media have essentially tainted his reputation (some of it justified).

I think that's spot on. When earlier, players had grown up seeing Liverpool reign supreme, the new generation of players were born between 1988-1992 and so would not have seen Liverpool's success bar one Champion's League. Therefore they are not attracted to the club as much as say players who were born before 1980.
The problem is, his success was during the birth of the Premier league era (as reference to a time-frame) whilst the likes of Ferguson, Guardiola, Mourinho and to an extent Wenger have achieved success recently. If you think about it, the likes of M'Vila would've just been born or there about when Kenny won the League with Liverpool. Same goes for most players in their prime now, they were quite young when Kenny was a success. Now the media have essentially tainted his reputation (some of it justified).

Original post by kuks
I think that's spot on. When earlier, players had grown up seeing Liverpool reign supreme, the new generation of players were born between 1988-1992 and so would not have seen Liverpool's success bar one Champion's League. Therefore they are not attracted to the club as much as say players who were born before 1980.

That does make sense. Probably didn't help that he was out of management for so long and dropped off the radar. Shame, if we had more ex-Liverpool players in the press, he probably would've got less of a slating.
Tbh even after Lucas comes back from injury:

1) There are no guarantees how he will recover (see Eduardo/Ramsey after long term injuries)
2) He still needs a decent partner in midfield

Possibly true on the first point. No need to be a negative nancy though :colondollar:
The second point, well his return will boost the number of competent midfielders in the squad to....two.
Mean's he not a wide midfield player who hugs the touchline and aims to cross the ball in.

Original post by pbsjohnz
It means that he was born to play on the wing, and sticks to the line. Basically he doesn't normally drift infield. Normally they can dribble, and put in good crosses. Something LFC have been lacking since Barnes and co.

EDIT: Sorry I explained it wrong. If he is an out and out winger, then he is what I just explained.

If he isn't then it is the opposite. ie he drifts in alot

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kuks
That's why I want us to do the deals early. Before other clubs come in and steal them. We can match transfer prices and wages. We just need to "sell our project" to them.

Not to mention if we have a target and we don't get them by the Euro's and he plays well his price will sky rocket. We should be making decisions right now about the manager as soon as the last game ends make any changes. Gives you the whole summer, everyday counts.
Original post by The Baron
Possibly true on the first point. No need to be a negative nancy though :colondollar:
The second point, well his return will boost the number of competent midfielders in the squad to....two.

Well by being a positive percy, we ended up with no proper cover and instead had to rely on Spearing who's been out of his depth and Gerrard out of position.
Reply 8390
Kuyt/Maxi/Aurelio probably making their final Anfield appearances tonight.
Reply 8391
Original post by Pn94
Kuyt/Maxi/Aurelio probably making their final Anfield appearances tonight.

What?! How come they're leaving? They are all long time, consistent players. It would be a shame.
Reply 8392
Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Henderson, Maxi, Downing, Shelvey, Suarez, Carroll.

subs: Doni, Coates, Kelly, Spearing, Sterling, Bellamy, Kuyt
Wow coupl of players dropped from the squad completely - Enrique, Gerrard

Looks like a 4-4-2 with Shelvey and Henderson in the middle.
Reply 8394
What has Downing done to deserve a start over Kuyt? It's also most probably Kuyt's last game at Anfield.
Original post by kuks
What has Downing done to deserve a start over Kuyt? It's also most probably Kuyt's last game at Anfield.

So is it essentially certain that Kuyt's leaving this summer?
Reply 8396
Original post by KingMessi
So is it essentially certain that Kuyt's leaving this summer?

Yeah it's all but certain that him and Maxi are off.
You realize we still have to play Swansea...
So no.. not the last game..
Chelsea playing a second string side. Hope we batter them. Amazed that they're not even bothering to try and get 4th place in the league.
Original post by kuks

I'm surprised by that too.

Latest