The Student Room Group

Preparing for the LNAT

Hi guys. I'll be taking the LNAT somewhere in the 2nd week of October (haven't booked yet), and I've done both practice tests on the LNAT website. I got good scores, but I still don't feel confident so I feel like I need more practice - what would you guys recommend? I can borrow some practice books from my uni placement counselor, but she'll only let me use them whilst I'm in college, so I've been spending some of my free periods going over them.

Also, would you say doing some of the LSAT questions help? The Reading Comprehension part is relatively similar and they ask things like "What is the unstated assumption of the author" which is also the kind of thing they ask in the LNAT. And what about the essay section? I was advised to read up on general issues and practice writing a few essays.
The general consensus is that you shouldn't/can't prepare for the LNAT.

However, in the first part of LNAT you will be asked to read articles and answer very specific questions on them, where the answers are very similar, and closely related.

So one idea is to buy several newspapers (lean towards 'highbrow' - Telegraph, The Times, Guardian), ask a parent or friend to read the article and devise 10 article related questions with multiple choice answers, read the article yourself, and answer the set questions. Go through the answers and get your friend/parent to mark your score. Do this in timed conditions.

For the essay part, ask one of your teachers to set you several essay questions on general topics;

Should animals have rights?

Should animals be protected by law?

When minority and majority interests conflict, who's interest's should take precedence and why?

The one I did when I sat the LNAT was;

'It is well accepted that the right to freedom of information by way of the press is a bastion of a democratic society. The question is in what circumstances, and how, it be restricted'

Discuss

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
The general consensus is that you shouldn't/can't prepare for the LNAT.

However, in the first part of LNAT you will be asked to read articles and answer very specific questions on them, where the answers are very similar, and closely related.

So one idea is to buy several newspapers (lean towards 'highbrow' - Telegraph, The Times, Guardian), ask a parent or friend to read the article and devise 10 article related questions with multiple choice answers, read the article yourself, and answer the set questions. Go through the answers and get your friend/parent to mark your score. Do this in timed conditions.

For the essay part, ask one of your teachers to set you several essay questions on general topics;

Should animals have rights?

Should animals be protected by law?

When minority and majority interests conflict, who's interest's should take precedence and why?

The one I did when I sat the LNAT was;

'It is well accepted that the right to freedom of information by way of the press is a bastion of a democratic society. The question is in what circumstances, and how, it be restricted'

Discuss

Hope this helps :smile:

I'm doing the exam on the 9th October. I find the essay questions really unnerving because I feel like I won't have a clue about any of the topics that come up and that I will do horrifically bad. How did you find that sections? Also, if you don't mind, what did you get in the multiple choice section?

Thanks.
Original post by shaminn
I'm doing the exam on the 9th October. I find the essay questions really unnerving because I feel like I won't have a clue about any of the topics that come up and that I will do horrifically bad. How did you find that sections? Also, if you don't mind, what did you get in the multiple choice section?

Thanks.

The essay question isn't assessing your level of knowledge.

It's simply assessing your ability to reason, articulate and argue.

So don't worry that you "won't have a clue".

I found it neither easy nor difficult.

20/30 on the multiple choice (which is very slightly above average).
Reply 4
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
The essay question isn't assessing your level of knowledge.

It's simply assessing your ability to reason, articulate and argue.

So don't worry that you "won't have a clue".

So basically, you just need an opinion and a few scraps of general knowledge, and you're okay? Like, the morality of active euthanasia, etc.?

The sample questions in the practice papers on the LNAT website seem to lean more towards ethical/social/economic/philosophical discussions. Do they accurately reflect the nature of the real essay questions?
Reply 5
Original post by joan2468
So basically, you just need an opinion and a few scraps of general knowledge, and you're okay? Like, the morality of active euthanasia, etc.?

The sample questions in the practice papers on the LNAT website seem to lean more towards ethical/social/economic/philosophical discussions. Do they accurately reflect the nature of the real essay questions?

What you have to bare in mind is that they all vary greatly. The majority of the stuff that may come up in the essay section is most likely to be debates that have come up in the news perhaps or just current issues in society, it will not be strictly limited to a few areas. I'm worried about the essay questions also, but I think it's something that you just need to plan and just make an educated essay on. Just make sure that you have a view that you are willing to pursue.

I even had moments where I did not understand what the question was asking. But in that instance, there are a choice of three questions I think.

Quick Reply

Latest