The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liv19
Yeah 120ums excluding the re-take; when you say much higher how much would I need?

An A is 320, so we'll divide that by 2, to get 160.

Your A2 coursework gets you 57:

160 - 57 = 103.

64 raw marks in the A2 exam (last year's grade boundaries) gets you 104, so I'd say you need 159 at AS to meet the minimum requirements for your A, going off of last year. Does that make sense?
Reply 321
Original post by GetOverHere
An A is 320, so we'll divide that by 2, to get 160.

Your A2 coursework gets you 57:

160 - 57 = 103.

64 raw marks in the A2 exam (last year's grade boundaries) gets you 104, so I'd say you need 159 at AS to meet the minimum requirements for your A, going off of last year. Does that make sense?

Yes thanks!
Original post by JDHOrchard
Don't get too upset! The chief examiner said in a talk he gave that he frequently reads answers that he believes are completely wrong, but if they've used evidence from the text and done the rest of the AOs well then they don't lose many marks

Thank you! I really hope so :frown: Will I lose all my AO1 marks though? :s-smilie:
Original post by helenalikesyou
try not to worry about it! I'm sure you've done brilliantly!
At the beginning of each mark scheme, they tell examiners to reward students marks for their own interpretations, as long as they support it with evidence :-)

I'm pretty sure there's no right or wrong answers with English, as long as you back up your point:smile: x

:frown: Thank youuu,
I really hope the examiner sees that I have analysed and used evidence to support my interpretation :frown:
Reply 324
I was so lucky in that exam: Stoner by John Williams, which came up as Item D, is actually my favourite ever novel - I read it last summer.
Good luck everyone! And if you liked the extract in Item D, I would definitely recommend you read the novel in its entirety - it's a fantastic, beautifully written book. :smile:
Original post by cherrybanana
:frown: Thank youuu,
I really hope the examiner sees that I have analysed and used evidence to support my interpretation :frown:

Yeah, I'm sure they will. If not, the examiners marks get sent to a head examiner (which is what my teacher is) and they'll check whether the examiner has been fair and awarded points where people have supported their own interpretations.

I'm sure you'll do fine, everyone across the country interprets texts differently... they can't expect everyone to get it right!
Yeah, I'm sure they will. If not, the examiners marks get sent to a head examiner (which is what my teacher is) and they'll check whether the examiner has been fair and awarded points where people have supported their own interpretations.

I'm sure you'll do fine, everyone across the country interprets texts differently... they can't expect everyone to get it right!

Thank you for your reassurance!! :smile:

I really do hope so:h:
Original post by cherrybanana
Thank you for your reassurance!! :smile:

I really do hope so:h:

That's okay!
We need to be reassuring and helping each other out in times like these:-)
That's okay!
We need to be reassuring and helping each other out in times like these:-)

I agree :colondollar:
Do you think the grade boundaries will be a lot higher and meaner this year?
Original post by Masterbob
Do you think the grade boundaries will be a lot higher and meaner this year?

I've been told by my teacher that it all depends on how the country does... For example, the top 2% of the country will get A*s, the top 10% will get A's etc...

I'm pretty sure that's how it works!
I've been told by my teacher that it all depends on how the country does... For example, the top 2% of the country will get A*s, the top 10% will get A's etc...

I'm pretty sure that's how it works!

It's the top 10% who get A*, that's why you need 360/400 (90%) UMS for an A*. It's those who are in the top 20% but not in the top 10% who get A's, etc.

Everybody's grades will fall on a bell curve, with a few people who did amazingly, a few who did not so amazingly, and most people being towards the middle. They'll then begin splitting up the curve so that the top 10% gets an A*, and work out what the lowest member of this A* category got - this is the grade boundary mark for the A*. They do this for each percentile until they have accounted for grades A* to E/U.

This is the same for all subjects, if you're wondering how it'll apply for your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
It's the top 10% who get A*, that's why you need 360/400 (90%) UMS for an A*. It's those who are in the top 20% but not in the top 10% who get A's, etc.

Everybody's grades will fall on a bell curve, with a few people who did amazingly, a few who did not so amazingly, and most people being towards the middle. They'll then begin splitting up the curve so that the top 10% gets an A*, and work out what the lowest member of this A* category got - this is the grade boundary mark for the A*. They do this for each percentile until they have accounted for grades A* to E/U.

This is the same for all subjects, if you're wondering how it'll apply for your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have an idea of what the grade boundaries for an A/A* might be this year?
Original post by Amy A x
Do you have an idea of what the grade boundaries for an A/A* might be this year?

I think it'll be higher, to be honest. Not by much, maybe a few marks, but the general consensus is that this paper was better than last year's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
Original post by faggstagram
really enjoy this topic, but my teacher hasn't even picked our third coursework text :/ kind of annoying as i do want to start reading/researching around it (or at least have the ability to do so haha)

so far we've read the great gatsby which i LOVED and now we're doing othello which is a bit more difficult to grasp as we're going through it so quickly but it's interesting

You know, maybe you should pick your own third text. My whole class did Othello, Jane Eyre and Rebecca. I swapped Rebecca for Love in the Time of Cholera :biggrin: I guess it depends on how lenient your teacher(s) are though.
Reply 335
I think it'll be higher, to be honest. Not by much, maybe a few marks, but the general consensus is that this paper was better than last year's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't last year's exam have that esoteric Samuel Beckett play? (Krapp's Last Tape or something?) That was pretty rough.
Original post by Qonnor
Didn't last year's exam have that esoteric Samuel Beckett play? (Krapp's Last Tape or something?) That was pretty rough.

Yes, that's why I'm saying this year was easier. Memories of love (in last year's paper) was much harder than early stages of love, in terms of wider reading and just general knowledge - everyone will know a little about the early stages of love, much less the memories of it.

This year shouldn't have been as good as it was. We shouldn't have been given 2 poems, and especially 2 poems of which one was modernist and the other was post-modern, i.e. making it muchhhhh easier for us to understand. We also got given Shakespeare, and not an unknown one either. We got given The Tempest, one of his most famous works. We could have easily gotten one of the lesser-known plays.

Whilst the novel was pretty much unknown, it was still very easy to understand and the blurb explained the plot to the point where we knew what was happening. The first sentence was a freebie for everyone who said it was stream of consciousness, helpfully indicated by the semi-colons. The speech, the way in which she's in a trance-like state, their embrace, etc. could all have been spoken about. The way in which the author describes one detail as it appears from afar, but then giving it another description which is much more revealing than the first when he's closer to us (e.g. When he thought her eyes were brown when really they were violet). Also he went from the present to the future quickly, talking about how they'd make love and stuff, which was an amazing way to bring in the fact that novels can jump from periods of time in the midst of the action without anyone blinking an eye, whilst plays must operate within the unities of time, place and action as it's being performed in situ, whereas the "performance" of a novel takes place in the head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing this course in 2016

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Original post by TeddyBear86
I am doing this course in 2016

:s-smilie:
Are you doing English Literature or are you solely talking about the course you listed in your post...? :redface:
The Access to HE in Social Work is completed, it was completed in May 2015

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending