The Student Room Group

NHS Graduate Scheme 2012

Scroll to see replies

Finished the the 3rd test and have been advised the 4th test is out soon. Anyone been sent the link yet?
Reply 41
Just found this page, its great to hear other peoples experiences. Applied last night, got through to the mathematics questions - did the practices, ran through a few things then - browser messed up, computer started running slowly couldn't change between questions. So i aborted the test and emailed them straight away.

Waiting to hear now, looks like a really good scheme and something I'd love to be involved with. The NHS doesn't need less managers it just needs more good ones :smile: Good luck everyone.

p.s. glad to hear everyone else thought it was tough a minute a question is one heck of a pace, the things almost like the UKCAT for medical entrance lol!
Reply 42
Hey,

I'm applying to the finance scheme they offer and Im really nervous about doing the numerical tests. Hopefully with alot of practise I will be able to pass it....does anyone have any websites or books they found really helpful?
I'm applying for HR - just completed the first three tests. Actually found the maths easier than some I've done - the questions themselves were all right - it was timing that was the main challenge. And the verbal was okay though I'm never really sure with those things. I whizzed through the personality questionnaire, just trying to keep my answers consistent and being as honest as possible. Guess it's just a case of wait and see now (as with most of my other applications).
I'm a bit confused about this, I did the numeracy then literacy tests then it went straight on to the dynamic test then straight on to the situation test, then said on the screen"thank you for your application, we will review your answers and get in touch shortly". I've only had one email after I completed the first two tests, haven't seen anything about Jan 11th. Haven't had an email since I did the last two either, does this mean I've failed them? :frown:
Original post by laura130490
I'm a bit confused about this, I did the numeracy then literacy tests then it went straight on to the dynamic test then straight on to the situation test, then said on the screen"thank you for your application, we will review your answers and get in touch shortly". I've only had one email after I completed the first two tests, haven't seen anything about Jan 11th. Haven't had an email since I did the last two either, does this mean I've failed them? :frown:

Tbh they aren't that well organised. I had a message saying I would sit the 4th test by the end of last week. In addition the emails I have gotten have contradicted themselves on a few occasions.
Original post by Tensa_Zangetsu
Tbh they aren't that well organised. I had a message saying I would sit the 4th test by the end of last week. In addition the emails I have gotten have contradicted themselves on a few occasions.

Yeah I don't understand why they said they'll be in touch shortly, if they don't get back to you until 11th Jan, that's not shortly, that's almost two months away. Also, don't understand why some people have to wait for tests to become available to them and mine were just straight after one another :confused: Very weird system.
Yeah I don't understand why they said they'll be in touch shortly, if they don't get back to you until 11th Jan, that's not shortly, that's almost two months away. Also, don't understand why some people have to wait for tests to become available to them and mine were just straight after one another :confused: Very weird system.

Also why they said you would have to pass tests 1 and 2 before sitting tests 3 and 4 when everyone was automatically signed up for 3 and 4 when they finished 1 and 2. Tbh not really that impressed.

The tests weren't all released at the same time, and the final test was only released at the beginning of this week (I think) so if you started your tests before they were all released then you had to wait in between each one for the next one. If you started your application this week you will be able to just go straight from one test to the next.

I really wouldn't pay attention to what anyone else has been receiving via email - so long as you've done the four tests and your application is still showing as under consideration you're fine. Though I imagine it's going to be a long wait now.
Also why they said you would have to pass tests 1 and 2 before sitting tests 3 and 4 when everyone was automatically signed up for 3 and 4 when they finished 1 and 2. Tbh not really that impressed.

Yep, every other graduate scheme or placement I've applied to doesn't let you go on to further tests unless you pass the literacy and numeracy ones. Unless all of us on here are lucky and have passed? :tongue:
Original post by coolh5000
The tests weren't all released at the same time, and the final test was only released at the beginning of this week (I think) so if you started your tests before they were all released then you had to wait in between each one for the next one. If you started your application this week you will be able to just go straight from one test to the next.

I really wouldn't pay attention to what anyone else has been receiving via email - so long as you've done the four tests and your application is still showing as under consideration you're fine. Though I imagine it's going to be a long wait now.

Oh I see! That would explain it! Just wish they would let us know how we did in the literacy and numeracy ones. I think I did good in the literacy one, but bad in the numeracy one :frown: Some of the questions seemed very finance related, even though I'm applying for the health informatics scheme because I'm going to be a science graduate. For example, a lot of the stuff they asked us to calculate I'd never heard of. I probably would have been able to work them out if I was given more time, but being unfamiliar with a lot of terms confused me a bit and meant I had to spend extra time figuring out what I actually was trying to calculate. :s-smilie:
Yep, every other graduate scheme or placement I've applied to doesn't let you go on to further tests unless you pass the literacy and numeracy ones. Unless all of us on here are lucky and have passed? :tongue:

No, everyone takes all the tests, I think this is the case for all public sector graduate schemes. Won't hear anything back until after the deadline either because they wont be looked at until then unlike with other schemes for private companies.

Need to take mine at some point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by original_username
No, everyone takes all the tests, I think this is the case for all public sector graduate schemes. Won't hear anything back until after the deadline either because they wont be looked at until then unlike with other schemes for private companies.

Ahh okay, this is the first public sector scheme I've applied to. I've only ever applied to private companies like Pfizer and GSK and the tests are usually done in stages there.

I'm just curious which schemes people are applying to and what are their backgrounds in terms of degree and work experience etc? I'll share first :smile:

I'm applying to the health informatics scheme on the recommendation of my managers and the consultant I worked for during my placement year as a trainee biomedical scientist. I set up a few databases containing patient information and things for them and trained them on how to use them, so they said I should go into health informatics. I don't really have any other IT experience (which I'm worried about), however I do have an IT GCSE and A level grade B in both. I've been volunteering in the NHS since August, but it's just helping out patients and things, so not sure they would be that impressed with that.

Just worried my lack of business knowledge and IT experience will hinder my application.
Reply 53
Original post by original_username

Sorry but on the contrary to this, somebody asked the same question on the official NHS Graduate facebook group and they said that that person HAD passed the literacy and numeracy test minimum mark to be able to do the other tests.....so I think they are operating it slightly different to last year.
Original post by ywish7
Sorry but on the contrary to this, somebody asked the same question on the official NHS Graduate facebook group and they said that that person HAD passed the literacy and numeracy test minimum mark to be able to do the other tests.....so I think they are operating it slightly different to last year.

I get your point, and I would LOVE for it to be true but I basically got the message to say I'm through to the 3rd and 4th test Immediately. Secretly hoping you're right :smile:
Reply 55
I get your point, and I would LOVE for it to be true but I basically got the message to say I'm through to the 3rd and 4th test Immediately. Secretly hoping you're right :smile:

The tests can be (and probably are) marked by computer, and computers are capable of marking tests and sending results almost immediately.
Original post by Terrafire
The tests can be (and probably are) marked by computer, and computers are capable of marking tests and sending results almost immediately.

Okay, now you've said that it seems obvious-silly me! :biggrin:
Reply 57

Ahh okay, this is the first public sector scheme I've applied to. I've only ever applied to private companies like Pfizer and GSK and the tests are usually done in stages there.

I'm just curious which schemes people are applying to and what are their backgrounds in terms of degree and work experience etc? I'll share first :smile:

I'm applying to the health informatics scheme on the recommendation of my managers and the consultant I worked for during my placement year as a trainee biomedical scientist. I set up a few databases containing patient information and things for them and trained them on how to use them, so they said I should go into health informatics. I don't really have any other IT experience (which I'm worried about), however I do have an IT GCSE and A level grade B in both. I've been volunteering in the NHS since August, but it's just helping out patients and things, so not sure they would be that impressed with that.

Just worried my lack of business knowledge and IT experience will hinder my application.

I'm also applying for Informatics. I do have an IT degree and some relevant experience, but I don't think this is a prerequisite. I think they are more interested in your aptitude, attitude and getting through each stages of the application process is more important.
Reply 58
Second time applicant, here (also applied last year, didn't get past interview stage).

Just completed the application + 4 tests. Currently have tonsillitis so performance for the tests wasn't at 100% but everything was fairly standard.

An important note for first time applicants, try and read last years (and any further ones) thread to get a good grasp of the entire process. And yes, the facebook group is the best resource for up to date information.

Best of luck!
Original post by paykanti
Second time applicant, here (also applied last year, didn't get past interview stage).

Just completed the application + 4 tests. Currently have tonsillitis so performance for the tests wasn't at 100% but everything was fairly standard.

An important note for first time applicants, try and read last years (and any further ones) thread to get a good grasp of the entire process. And yes, the facebook group is the best resource for up to date information.

Best of luck!

Why didn't you just sign out and come back to the tests at another time?
Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest