The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snarafe
I do German (which is an awesome language :smile:), English, History and Biology, what about you?

Yay German (ich auch) :smile: Magst du die Wise Guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PZDe_soPj0 Oooh English Lit or Lang? I do English Language, Classical Civilisation, German and Latin. Finding the revision stage quite tough for some of them :frown:
Original post by saim101
I read your comment at the bottom and would like to say, my Girlfriend is the most geekiest student who will EVER apply to Cambridge for medicine. She does 7 AS's Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Geography. She also does rowing :P
I'd recommend that you do this summer thing, person who started the thread. You will stand out from the crowd because you have to remember, the people who apply to Medicine most of the time do get the grades it's the people with the extra-curriculum activities that get the places at universities

If you read my signature it actually says nothing about me applying to Cambridge. Secondly it is a personal joke and is not serious.

Also I honestly don't care what subjects your girlfriend does or how "geeky" she is, or how rowing makes her "geeky" or better than the rest of us in someway.

What summer thing are you talking about?
Original post by Paigemjames
Did you get on Sutton trust of the FE summer school?
I applied for that too! :biggrin:

I applied to the Sutton Trust Gonville and Caius College Summer school from the 13th to 17th of August. Did you get in? :biggrin:
Reply 1143
Original post by Powerfrau
Yay German (ich auch) :smile: Magst du die Wise Guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PZDe_soPj0 Oooh English Lit or Lang? I do English Language, Classical Civilisation, German and Latin. Finding the revision stage quite tough for some of them :frown:

Ja, Ich liebe die Wise Guys - Ich erkannte Ihren Benutzernamen (Schlag mich Baby Noch einmal und Powerfrau sind meine lieblingsdeutschlieden)! I do English Lit but I wish I could do English language as I much preferred it at GCSE. Do you have to study any texts or is it all unseen? It must be tough doing Latin and German, I know I'm finding the amount of vocab overwhelming just for German!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sophieashley
Has anyone applied to cambridge for theology? :biggrin:

I did! :biggrin: Did you get accepted? I got accepted and I am going to the Gonville and Caius college on the 13th of August until the 17th.
I was told today that the selection process was completely random which really dis-heartnened me, making me feel that I've fluked my way into the summer school. Is that true ??
Reply 1146
Original post by EsmeA
Hey! Opposite for me, didn't apply to UNIQ because I didn't fit any of the criteria really, but I got accepted to Eton for History! What did you get accepted for? :smile: I'm staying in Common Lane house, what about you?

There's an Eton Summer School thread lurking about somewhere too, if you're interested.

Hey! Cool! I got into biology with chemistry. :smile: And yeah, I'm staying in Common Lane House too! I'm a bit worried though because the dates clash with the Cambridge and UCL open days.... :s-smilie:
Original post by Natalie21
If you read my signature it actually says nothing about me applying to Cambridge. Secondly it is a personal joke and is not serious.

Also I honestly don't care what subjects your girlfriend does or how "geeky" she is, or how rowing makes her "geeky" or better than the rest of us in someway.

What summer thing are you talking about?

Haha, you sound so bitter that you've just been completely outdone.
Original post by Davsters
Haha, you sound so bitter that you've just been completely outdone.

How have I been outdone in any way or form?

I'm just getting irritated with people asking me about my signature all the time...its an inside joke... get over it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Cambridge for Physics :smile:
Original post by Snarafe
Ja, Ich liebe die Wise Guys - Ich erkannte Ihren Benutzernamen (Schlag mich Baby Noch einmal und Powerfrau sind meine lieblingsdeutschlieden)! I do English Lit but I wish I could do English language as I much preferred it at GCSE. Do you have to study any texts or is it all unseen? It must be tough doing Latin and German, I know I'm finding the amount of vocab overwhelming just for German!

Trying hard to retain my love. Was denkst du über 'Lauter' aus ihrem neuen Album? Dän sagte, dass es ein Mischung zwischen 'Du bist die Musik' und 'Jetzt und Hier' ist. :colondollar: Aw English Language is amazing. It's all unseen- we get two texts in the first half of them exam (generally one written and one spoken) then a bit of child speech or writing. We basically have to comment on them and construct essays, which don't vary that much between past papers! What set texts are you studying? It is a little, remembering all the poems and prose for Latin is difficult! When is you German speaking?
Reply 1151
Original post by collettem27
I got accepted into English as well! 19th-24th August yes? :biggrin: can't wait either.

Hey congratulations. Yep August. Staying at Van Mildert College? :smile:
Reply 1152
Trying hard to retain my love. Was denkst du über 'Lauter' aus ihrem neuen Album? Dän sagte, dass es ein Mischung zwischen 'Du bist die Musik' und 'Jetzt und Hier' ist. :colondollar: Aw English Language is amazing. It's all unseen- we get two texts in the first half of them exam (generally one written and one spoken) then a bit of child speech or writing. We basically have to comment on them and construct essays, which don't vary that much between past papers! What set texts are you studying? It is a little, remembering all the poems and prose for Latin is difficult! When is you German speaking?

I didn't realize they had a new song/ album - Just listened to it und es ist erstaunlich! Ich wünschte ich könnte es jetzt zu kaufen! Now I REALLY wish I was doing English Language! Our set texts are 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Brighton Rock'. The books are quite interesting but they put a ridiculous time limit on it so you end up having to write 3 essays in 2 hours :frown: . Wow you have to remember prose in Latin... German must seem easy by comparison! I did my German speaking last week, so relieved that it went well :smile: When is yours?
anyone who applied to nottingham, when are the letters due, I'm suddenly paranoid I've missed the date because I know it's in May but there's still time right?
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
anyone who applied to nottingham, when are the letters due, I'm suddenly paranoid I've missed the date because I know it's in May but there's still time right?

letters need to be sent back by the 7th may, says on your acceptance letter
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo

Got mine from nottingham last week :smile:
Original post by Snarafe
I didn't realize they had a new song/ album - Just listened to it und es ist erstaunlich! Ich wünschte ich könnte es jetzt zu kaufen! Now I REALLY wish I was doing English Language! Our set texts are 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Brighton Rock'. The books are quite interesting but they put a ridiculous time limit on it so you end up having to write 3 essays in 2 hours :frown: . Wow you have to remember prose in Latin... German must seem easy by comparison! I did my German speaking last week, so relieved that it went well :smile: When is yours?

Ich weiss :smile: Lauter, lauter, lauter..... It's great to study child language especially- probably a good introduction to Linguistics! You have to study the whole books?? Oh I hate how little time we have in the exam :frown: I'm still so scared for the German speaking! So envious- what did you talk about? Mine's next Thursday :cry:
Reply 1157
Ich weiss :smile: Lauter, lauter, lauter..... It's great to study child language especially- probably a good introduction to Linguistics! You have to study the whole books?? Oh I hate how little time we have in the exam :frown: I'm still so scared for the German speaking! So envious- what did you talk about? Mine's next Thursday :cry:

Ah, Good luck! I talked mostly about Media, Sports and Music because my nominated topic was families. If you completely lose track, just start talking about your favourite things or quoting lyrics ect - That was my back-up plan :biggrin: Are you doing AQA board? It wasn't too bad in the end but It's definitely got to be one of the most terrifying exams beforehand :unsure: Child language seems really cool, do you have to interpret sentence structure and stuff? Luckily both books I'm studying are relatively short, I'm so relieved my school didn't want us to study Charles Dickens!
Original post by Natalie21
How have I been outdone in any way or form?

I'm just getting irritated with people asking me about my signature all the time...its an inside joke... get over it.

Why do you have an inside joke on public display on a forum? Nobody finds it funny.
Original post by Davsters
Why do you have an inside joke on public display on a forum? Nobody finds it funny.

Because its a joke with people on this forum. Obviously the person who made it up for me thought it was funny..

Quick Reply

Latest