The Student Room Group

WJEC - CH2 (Wednesday, 23rd May) Properties, Structure and Bonding

Come and discuss the pros and cons and share tips.. Please I need it and I think most of us do as we approach.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I'm all aaalllooonnneeee. Its worst than I thought.
Reply 2
haha your not alone! I also have this exam next week..hopefully it'll be more fun than todays exam!
I've got it too! Anyone got any good revision sites or anything? I'm finding learning all the equations for Group 1 and 2 metals and stuff really hard. Also the reaction mechanims. :-(
Reply 4
Anyone else here sitting this? I feel like I know most of it except the "just learn it" stuff, like the colours of products and other things.
Reply 5
The hour and a half is going to be long I think :frown: It's hard to find a revision book as most are aimed at OCR, AQA etc. Can't remember anything! Seems like a huge jump from CH1 :s-smilie: This website has good one sheet revision notes that summarizes topics (although they are aimed at other exam boards, some are relevant to WJEC).

http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/sci.htm
Reply 6
WJEC has a 'revision aid'. Personally, i wouldn't call it a revision aid, as it is very long so you may as well just read over class notes. Here's the link:

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/7862.pdf

I understand the work, but as harrietparrot said earlier, it's hard to learn the things that you HAVE to learn off by heart. This exam is going to suck.
Alright guys< lets get this thread started.
Eek. Tomorrow is going to be full on revision all day I think. I went all out for Biology yesterday so I haven't done any Chem since last week.

I know it'll be tough, but WJEC don't seem to do anything too weird/unusual with Chemistry papers. I think they're fairly consistent, if a little awkward.
Original post by harrietparrot
Eek. Tomorrow is going to be full on revision all day I think. I went all out for Biology yesterday so I haven't done any Chem since last week.

I know it'll be tough, but WJEC don't seem to do anything too weird/unusual with Chemistry papers. I think they're fairly consistent, if a little awkward.

I know... same been cramping bio and other exams over the week. Yh they are consistent, but they are evil in that they have trick questions here and there.
This thread is not helpful at all. Good bye.:frown:
Probably because everyone sitting it is too busy cramming :tongue:
how did everyone find this exam???
Reply 13
aww sorry i just found this thread i could have helped with revsion material : WJEC has just brought out a revision book for chemistry .
I sat it today as a resit (got a b ums 89) last year , i thought the paper was really nice. Except for the question about why does gas decrease when Ba react with water, but i thought it was ICNREASE becasue the reactions of grwp 2 increase down the group. even took my teacher a while but she said it is because Ba would have less moles than Ca.
Everything else was great touch wood . How did you find it @ Jessica-May
Original post by rsp
Except for the question about why does gas decrease when Ba react with water, but i thought it was ICNREASE becasue the reactions of grwp 2 increase down the group. even took my teacher a while but she said it is because Ba would have less moles than Ca.

Ahh, I see. What a stinker of a question!

I hated the paper. I can't quite put my finger on why - I can barely remember it now! It seemed so long, with SO many long-answer questions, display formulas etc.. I did manage to finish it, but I think I missed out a couple of 1 mark questions (including the gas one!).

Ugh. Didn't like it at all.
i found some of the questions hard.... like the barium question!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Barium has a bigger Mr. therefore when we do mass/Mr we see that we get less moles of barium. this will mean less moles of hydrogen gas will be liberated (since it was a 1 to 1 ratio).

I found it nice, but loads of people in my year hated it. Also, I totally agree about the long answer questions, so many QWC marks!
Reply 17
i thought the majority of questions were all very straight forward! i didn't really get the barium question! and my picture of a gas syringe was terrible! also i didn't like the five mark question about the precipitates of chloride and bromide ions. i didn't really get the Naoh part. but apart from that alright yeah!! what does everyone else think?!
I thought it was quite a nice paper! The three straight-chain isomers on butene was confusing. I could only work out two. Surely cyclo-butane doesn't count as a straight-chain isomer?
i hated it i knw i got a uuuuuuu !!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest