The Student Room Group

Next step after Firming?

Ok, i know there have been loads of threads about what to do, but i cant seem to find the exact answer. And my understanding of how UCAS exactly works seems to be pretty poor as well. I am currently in India, and I have an unconditional offer from southampton and a conditional from Bristol for Mechanical Engineering. I met a representative of Bristol yesterday at this fair and she told me to firm bristol as soon as possible if that is my first choice because they probably wont update their offer till i firm it. So i firmed Bristol today and insured Southampton.
What am i suppose to do now?
As far as i understand i am suppose to wait for the offer to become unconditional, THEN apply for accommodation right?

I know all this is pretty basic but i dont want to mess this up! and the other threads that have info on this arnt as clear on if their offer is conditional or unconditional..

Thanks..
Reply 1
What are the conditions of your offer? That will, to an extent, decide what you do next.

If the conditions are for exam results you haven't got yet you need to wait for those results

If it's condiotnal on results you already have then ask the uni how they would like you to confirm these - they may accept a scanned copy of your results slip, or a letter from your referee or something else

If it's a medical/occupational health assessment you need to have that

If it's something else, you need to fulfil that offer

You need to check their accommodation policy to see when you apply for accommodation - but just from a quick look it seems you can apply if you've firmed them (which you have now) but not until 7th June. So you need to apply in a week.

If you have any more questions then ask, because I'm not going to just post general stuff about UCAS which you might already know or might not be relevant. For example, as an India student you probably won't need to know stuff about A Level results day - but then again, you might be taking A Levels!
Go to university
Original post by Juno
What are the conditions of your offer? That will, to an extent, decide what you do next.

If the conditions are for exam results you haven't got yet you need to wait for those results

If it's condiotnal on results you already have then ask the uni how they would like you to confirm these - they may accept a scanned copy of your results slip, or a letter from your referee or something else

If it's a medical/occupational health assessment you need to have that

If it's something else, you need to fulfil that offer

You need to check their accommodation policy to see when you apply for accommodation - but just from a quick look it seems you can apply if you've firmed them (which you have now) but not until 7th June. So you need to apply in a week.

Thanks a lot for responding.. Basically it was exam results (85% overal including maths and physics). I met there conditions (and sent a scanned copy) thats why the lady yesterday representing bristol told me to firm it as soon as possible to be on the safe side. I was just not sure if im suppose to wait till it becomes unconditional and then apply for accommodation or am i suppose to do that now while its still conditional. And i just heard that its UK Queens Jublee week or smthing and so all the offices wud be closed? is that so?
Reply 4
Original post by theoriginal9321
Thanks a lot for responding.. Basically it was exam results (85% overal including maths and physics). I met there conditions (and sent a scanned copy) thats why the lady yesterday representing bristol told me to firm it as soon as possible to be on the safe side. I was just not sure if im suppose to wait till it becomes unconditional and then apply for accommodation or am i suppose to do that now while its still conditional. And i just heard that its UK Queens Jublee week or smthing and so all the offices wud be closed? is that so?

From reading the accommodation site, it would appear that you can apply after 7th June as long as you have firmed Bristol - which you have now. But you need to log on to view the form, so that won't let you if you're not eligible. I'd suggest trying to apply next week and see if it lets you.

The UK has 2 bank holidays next week, on Monday and Tuesday. This pretty much means you won't be able to contact them on Monday or Tuesday but other days should be fine. So if you really want to contact them today that should be ok, otherwise you'd need to wait until Wednesday.
Original post by Juno
From reading the accommodation site, it would appear that you can apply after 7th June as long as you have firmed Bristol - which you have now. But you need to log on to view the form, so that won't let you if you're not eligible. I'd suggest trying to apply next week and see if it lets you.

The UK has 2 bank holidays next week, on Monday and Tuesday. This pretty much means you won't be able to contact them on Monday or Tuesday but other days should be fine. So if you really want to contact them today that should be ok, otherwise you'd need to wait until Wednesday.

Ohhk! That sounds right, thanks a lot! I think i'll directly contact them on Wednesday! Cant wait to go even though theres still a lot of time :P :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending