The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I like the uplifting, give-a-**** nature of the post. Refreshing. Repped.
Original post by Abstraction
Wow, that's really impressive, good luck with the PhD. And of course saving the environment!

Thanks!!!

(You'll be thanking me even more when I save the bees :tongue:)
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I read on the previous posts that you'll be doing a PhD in Environmental Science? That's brilliant, I hope it goes well! I think as an Engineer I'll do my best to increase the efficiency of whatever I'll be working with, so to reduce the impact it'd have on the environment.

Here's to the future!

Yeah let's do awesome stuff and try and limit the irreversible damage!!! Wooooh!! :biggrin:

Sorry, as a conservationist I have a very bleak outlook on climate change :tongue: Seriously though you engineers need to get it sorted though, this **** is in your hands. I'm powerless compared to you guys. I just sort out the ecosystem side. Good, but not a long term solution.

Invent some awesome clean energy or something :tongue:
Original post by ummm
Because it's your life. May as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Why though? I'd rather dedicate it to making life enjoyable for other people.
Reply 144
Original post by redferry
Why though? I'd rather dedicate it to making life enjoyable for other people.

One minute you're complaining about living your life with other people in mind and the next you're saying you don't want to live it for yourself.

Think whatever you want. Have whatever goals you want. Have whatever sense of purpose you want. I'm just giving my perspective.
Original post by ummm
One minute you're complaining about living your life with other people in mind and the next you're saying you don't want to live it for yourself.

Think whatever you want. Have whatever goals you want. Have whatever sense of purpose you want. I'm just giving my perspective.

But aren't you being a bit selfish by just living your life for yourself?
Original post by ummm
I find this a really comforting thing to think about - it helps to remind me that nothing really matters.

There's so many people on the planet, and you only interact with a tiny proportion of them. You only have to walk down the street to realise how insignificant you are. Most people have no idea you exist or give a **** about you anyway. Give it a couple of generations and chances are you'll be completely forgotten.

Do you ever just stop and think how tiny and insignificant the Earth is in relation to the universe? We're just one planet of eight in our solar system, all orbiting the sun. The sun is just one of billions of stars in our galaxy, which is just one of billions of galaxies in the universe, all billions of miles away from each other. It's so strange to think that right now there's galaxies colliding and supernovas and stuff happening.

Nothing matters in the grand scale of things.

Thinking in this way helps me not to get stressed and to stop worrying about things.

Not really sure what the point of this thread was, but oh well. Thoughts?

If biological implants, nanotechnology or artificial intelligence blossom over the next hundred years, which experts assign non-trivial probabilities to, then your estimation of life expectancy is potentially rather under-stated. Obviously this doesn't really speak to the point of your post, but it 's worth noting that the coming century is pregnant with possibilities for better or worse; at it's limits, humanity faces near-existential risk and the transcending of its existing biological form (the former carrying orders of magnitude greater likelihood, but the latter nonetheless not beyond the realms of possibility).
Reply 147
Original post by ummm
I find this a really comforting thing to think about - it helps to remind me that nothing really matters.

There's so many people on the planet, and you only interact with a tiny proportion of them. You only have to walk down the street to realise how insignificant you are. Most people have no idea you exist or give a **** about you anyway. Give it a couple of generations and chances are you'll be completely forgotten.

Do you ever just stop and think how tiny and insignificant the Earth is in relation to the universe? We're just one planet of eight in our solar system, all orbiting the sun. The sun is just one of billions of stars in our galaxy, which is just one of billions of galaxies in the universe, all billions of miles away from each other. It's so strange to think that right now there's galaxies colliding and supernovas and stuff happening.

Nothing matters in the grand scale of things.

Thinking in this way helps me not to get stressed and to stop worrying about things.

Not really sure what the point of this thread was, but oh well. Thoughts?

This isn't a very healthy way to think. I get your point though..I guess.
It's true - and alongside the blatant excitement which is life, you have the ever increasing population which will soon collapse.
So, the human population is useless, as it's bound to end not that far in the future, but probably not so soon that we'd experience it first hand.
Got to love life.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I think what Ummm's trying to get at is that while in our relatively short lifetimes our actions affect those around us, in 'the grand scheme of things', i.e. the planets stars and the galaxies that make up the mass of the universe around us, our actions have no effect. We've been on this planet for less than a fraction of the Earth's lifetime, we may be grabbing at every resource we can reach, but the sun is still shining as brightly as it had been the day that humans first evolved.

When coming to things down on Earth then the things we do do matter. Ummm is not talking about an apathy to humanity and her surroundings, but of a comforting realisation that no matter how badly she could mess up, the planet still turns and life goes on. Nothing matters when you speak about celestial scales, everything matters when you speak about home.

There are not insignificant reasons for believing that intelligent life is scarce in the universe, if not unique to humanity (absent prevailing conceptions of the cosmos in physics as infinite, which would push this claim back to the lesser: scarce to the point of effectively impossible mutual detection). If this is so, and accepting the potential for comprehensive human space-flight and the proliferation of communities beyond earth, one's actions assume a significance beyond that alluded to here, i.e. at it's greatest, you have some determination on the proliferation of intelligent life across the cosmos, and it's weakest, you could be instrumental in the eradication of intelligent life from the universe for eternity.

That aside, cosmological exposition isn't required to make visible the existential condition of the individual - it's the natural extension of the collapse of theology as a credible institution, and is rendered best and most extensively by the French existentialists, i.e. Camus & Sartre et al.
The majority of people I communicate with I don't give a second thought to, I don't think 'wow I spoke to Larry the shop assistant today,' I only care about the people that matter in my life, I couldn't care less about not meeting 99.99% of the world and once you realise that you realise that 99.99% of the world doesn't care about what you do either. It massively helps you realise you should do what makes you happy and not care about what anyone else thinks, because the truth is noone is going to pay much attention to you unless they think you are interesting.
Original post by Clynester
Contrary to the title of the thread, scientists believe that the first person to live to be one thousand years old is alive today.

Sarcasm? If not I call *******s - cite source.
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Do you live under a rock or something? Ofcourse we aren't the only life form in the whole universe... That's an extremely self-obsessed thing to say. So you think that out of billions of galaxies, the earth is the only habitable planet?
Saying something and believing it are two very different things. You of course, have made gross assumptions on my motivation for saying it which was counterbalancing the OP's apparent existential futility implied by her statement. Which opens up more questions than the face-value reading of the statement indicates.

From your opening ad-hominem line, I would suggest it betrays your lack of inquisition and understanding of scientific process.

That life exists elsewhere in the universe is only a preposition. That it must be intelligent is a proposition with only our own existence and limited knowledge as a guide. Hypothesis is currently thwarted by all manner of technical hurdles and although humanity has begun the journey, finding evidence to prove the hypotheses still relies on overwhelming serendipity and luck. I cannot be certain no life exists without searching the entire universe. You cannot be certain that life exists without searching the whole universe until you find it.

By the first half of the last century, many scientists still believed there were canals on Mars made by intelligent life. Today the search for even microbial life on Mars goes on and still with no answer. Without that evidence, we cannot even begin to verify the Drake equation - itself based entirely on speculative probabilities.

So to make sweeping generalisations that life exists elsewhere is grossly scientifically unreliable at the present time - a guess based in faith at best. No different to religious faith in this instance. Until we actually find it or it comes visiting us with a bunch of Arcturian roses and a box of the finest Betelgeuse chocolates, it remains as such.

My mind of course still remains open to both possibilities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Saying something and believing it are two very different things. You of course, have made gross assumptions on my motivation for saying it which was counterbalancing the OP's apparent existential futility implied by her statement. Which opens up more questions than the face-value reading of the statement indicates.

From your opening ad-hominem line, I would suggest it betrays your lack of inquisition and understanding of scientific process.

That life exists elsewhere in the universe is only a preposition. That it must be intelligent is a proposition with only our own existence and limited knowledge as a guide. Hypothesis is currently thwarted by all manner of technical hurdles and although humanity has begun the journey, finding evidence to prove the hypotheses still relies on overwhelming serendipity and luck. I cannot be certain no life exists without searching the entire universe. You cannot be certain that life exists without searching the whole universe until you find it.

By the first half of the last century, many scientists still believed there were canals on Mars made by intelligent life. Today the search for even microbial life on Mars goes on and still with no answer. Without that evidence, we cannot even begin to verify the Drake equation - itself based entirely on speculative probabilities.

So to make sweeping generalisations that life exists elsewhere is grossly scientifically unreliable at the present time - a guess based in faith at best. No different to religious faith in this instance. Until we actually find it or it comes visiting us with a bunch of Arcturian roses and a box of the finest Betelgeuse chocolates, it remains as such.

My mind of course still remains open to both possibilities.

Okay, you have convinced me that I was wrong in dismaying your beliefs in an abrupt way. Hence, I apologise. I will not be egotistical and rather will admit that you have put me way out of my depth, which is quite rare, kudos to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am immortal. That is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Birkenhead
Sarcasm? If not I call *******s - cite source.

Original post by newblood
Interesting...source, id like to see the discussion surrounding that

It is a theory proposed by Aubrey de Grey, English theoretician in gerontology (the study of ageing). It is his most famous statement so there is a lot of stuff about it online, including this article from the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/aug/01/aubrey-de-grey-ageing-research

Interestingly, he believes that the first person to live to be a thousand isn't a very young person, but somebody who is actually in their fifties, or even sixties today, which I am a bit suspicious of, but would love for it to be true.
Original post by Clynester
It is a theory proposed by Aubrey de Grey, English theoretician in gerontology (the study of ageing). It is his most famous statement so there is a lot of stuff about it online, including this article from the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/aug/01/aubrey-de-grey-ageing-research

Interestingly, he believes that the first person to live to be a thousand isn't a very young person, but somebody who is actually in their fifties, or even sixties today, which I am a bit suspicious of, but would love for it to be true.

If this prevention of physical deterioration ever takes off can you imagine how depressing our centuries-old descendants are going to find it that most of us only lived to 80-90...
Original post by Birkenhead
If this prevention of physical deterioration ever takes off can you imagine how depressing our centuries-old descendants are going to find it that most of us only lived to 80-90...

Can you imagine how crowded it'd get if we didn't move out of the planet?

How long did cavemen live for I wonder, 20-30 years?
Sometimes when I'm getting stressed out about exams and other things I think to myself 'oh well, one day I'm going to die' and I find it comforting? I used to be terrified of death but someone I know once said to think back to the thousands of years before my birth and how they felt, the nothingness. Then they said that's what it will be like after death, just nothing. I found that so reassuring as I don't see dying as a bad thing so I just see life as just a period of time to go out there and do things which make you happy and just kind of experiment with new experiences.

It's funny that that one little off-hand comment by a 16 year old in my a-level psychology class a couple of years ago has impacted me so much lol.
Although i agree with most of your nihilistic points, i believe that we attribute meaning to our own lives. We also attribute meaning to the lives of those we love. But yes, relative to the size of the Universe, our choices rarely make a huge difference. But they do make a difference to ourselves, and sometimes others.

Nothing happens for a reason > Everything happens for a reason.

Latest