The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
shinytoy
hello

please can we stop the bad-taste jokes about RCs

this thread is for RC catholics, not just any catholics (eg anglicanism; anglocatholicism) as the fundamentals of the religion are different. by all means start up another thread for general catholics

are there any non-irish RCs? im latina

im english and i was baptised roman caholic

however i do have irish ancestors who moved over to england during the potato famine :smile:
Hey, just dropping in to join atm, may post more substantially later.

Born and raised RC, still go to church occasionally and always at Christmas & Easter. Not great, but not terrible I guess.
Hey I didn't even realise this society existed, can I join?
What do you think about the Catholic Churches role in European history? Should the church not always act completely justly, when influenced by god?
Five-month necro-post?

It's not looking good for Catholicism on TSR!
Reply 1005
Original post by Invictus_88
Five-month necro-post?

It's not looking good for Catholicism on TSR!

Catholicism is on the increase in the world...so have no fear!

And there are many Catholics on TSR who contribute to debate. However, where on this forum do you see links to The Judaism Society and The Muslim Society?

Nowhere...'cos they're restricted to the Societies forum. Ask yourself - why?:smile:
Original post by yawn
Catholicism is on the increase in the world...so have no fear!

And there are many Catholics on TSR who contribute to debate. However, where on this forum do you see links to The Judaism Society and The Muslim Society?

Nowhere...'cos they're restricted to the Societies forum. Ask yourself - why?:smile:

You mean here and here, both in T&R with more recent posts than the Catholic Society? :smile:
Reply 1007
Original post by Magnum Opus
You mean here and here, both in T&R with more recent posts than the Catholic Society? :smile:

The Islamic Society and the Jewish Society have been moved from The Societies forum to TSR Theology & Religion subforum very, very recently...presumably by you since you are commenting on it!

Prior to that, none of these societies were posted in this sub-forum, being restricted to the aforementioned forum. As you are aware, someone raised a thread in this subforum calling it the TSR Catholic Society; replicating an already existing one amongst the Societies Forum. The newly raised one was replaced by moving the existing one to this subforum...a move that only time will tell will not be a mistake for the reasons I gave to a supermod at the time.

Many TSR's had asked to join the TSR Catholic Society over time, but unfortunately, the person who was responsible had not actioned the requests for whatever reason and these would-be members were left without a forum that was pertinent to their needs.

Hopefully, if someone is prepared to take on the responsibility of overseeing the society, it will flourish as much as our other Abrahamic forums...and who knows, an Anglican Society (which could flourish if not too many of them return to Rome) might even be set up by your goodself, Magum!

Incidentally, your facilitating a smiling emocion does little to hide your hostility.:wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1008
For what it's worth - a proud Catholic here!:biggrin:
Reply 1009
Original post by rylit91
For what it's worth - a proud Catholic here!:biggrin:

That's worth a lot, in the current climate of anti-Catholic hostility.

All we need now is for someone who is dedicated enough to process the thousands of outstanding applications to the society! :smile:

Edit: 19 million more Catholics between 2007 and 2008...latest figures not available till 2012, but expected to increase still further.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yawn
The Islamic Society and the Jewish Society have been moved from The Societies forum to TSR Theology & Religion subforum very, very recently...presumably by you since you are commenting on it!

Prior to that, none of these societies were posted in this sub-forum, being restricted to the aforementioned forum. As you are aware, someone raised a thread in this subforum calling it the TSR Catholic Society; replicating an already existing one amongst the Societies Forum. The newly raised one was replaced by moving the existing one to this subforum...a move that only time will tell will not be a mistake for the reasons I gave to a supermod at the time.

Many TSR's had asked to join the TSR Catholic Society over time, but unfortunately, the person who was responsible had not actioned the requests for whatever reason and these would-be members were left without a forum that was pertinent to their needs.

Hopefully, if someone is prepared to take on the responsibility of overseeing the society, it will flourish as much as our other Abrahamic forums...and who knows, an Anglican Society (which could flourish if not too many of them return to Rome) might even be set up by your goodself, Magum!

Incidentally, your facilitating a smiling emocion does little to hide your hostility.:wink:

I did move them, as you reminded me of the importance of fostering good relationships between religious groups (as per Vatican II :wink: ). I think you're mistaken with respect to hostility, I'm not being hostile at all, I never have been to you, yawn; indeed, I hope you have had a merry Christmas. :smile:
Reply 1011
I did move them, as you reminded me of the importance of fostering good relationships between religious groups (as per Vatican II :wink: ). I think you're mistaken with respect to hostility, I'm not being hostile at all, I never have been to you, yawn; indeed, I hope you have had a merry Christmas. :smile:

Yer...right...not even when the Pope extended the hand of friendship to all those disaffected fellow Christians of yours. :rolleyes:

Not only did I have a merry Christmas, I also had a joyous and peaceful Christmas amongst loved ones.

Mindful of Vatican II...(as Pope Benedict XVI gives great witness to) and the fostering of ecumenical goodwill, I sincerely hope that 2011 brings you much contentment spiritually.
Reply 1012
Magnum Opus is basically Catholic anyway :wink:
Original post by Aula
Magnum Opus is basically Catholic anyway :wink:

Tell me about it; I'm doing vespers in Canterbury cathedral tomorrow, certain people here may find that so sacrilege :zomg:

Tell me about it; I'm doing vespers in Canterbury cathedral tomorrow, certain people here may find that so sacrilege :zomg:

Out of curiosity, what are you Magnum? :sly: In terms of faith :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
hello my brothers

i am the founder of the Catholic society, but unfortunately have very little knowledge about managing societies on TSR, i have only just found out how to accept members and have no idea how to manage the societies homepage. if anyone else wants to take over please pm me :smile:

also, does anyone belong to Juventutum? the catholic latin youth group? my diocese has no young people apart from a couple dudes in their mid 30s who are like ned flanders. i know alot of catholics but they arent practicing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juventutem

where do catholics go apart from church? im in london but go church in the brentwood diocese. there must be some catholics under 60. also, where are any hot dude catholics looking to get married. i seriously need a husband real bad before i contravene 1 thessalonians 4:3 in SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS!!!! im 25 btw
Reply 1016
So what's your favourite method? Take it all from one child, or do you lot have your fingers in many pies?
Reply 1017
Original post by shinytoy
hello my brothers

i am the founder of the Catholic society, but unfortunately have very little knowledge about managing societies on TSR, i have only just found out how to accept members and have no idea how to manage the societies homepage. if anyone else wants to take over please pm me :smile:

also, does anyone belong to Juventutum? the catholic latin youth group? my diocese has no young people apart from a couple dudes in their mid 30s who are like ned flanders. i know alot of catholics but they arent practicing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juventutem

where do catholics go apart from church? im in london but go church in the brentwood diocese. there must be some catholics under 60. also, where are any hot dude catholics looking to get married. i seriously need a husband real bad before i contravene 1 thessalonians 4:3 in SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS!!!! im 25 btw

I don't mean to belittle you or anything, but the bold part of your post is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TSR
Reply 1018

:mmm:

have fun :awesome:

shinytoy, if you can get to the 7pm mass at Westminster Cathedral, there is a group of young people who meet after it and go to the pub.
Why do you (I assume you do) agree with clerical celibacy? Why shouldnt priests be allowed to marry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending