The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I wish I had the bigger loans, seeing as I know I will never pay my loans back as it is lololol.
Original post by llys
Very good question. David Willetts didn't...

So much for "exceptional", ha.

Lol. This bit is particularly good:

David Willets
He added: “Some universities are rushing to £9,000 without thinking about the impact on students.”

So the government has told unis is OK to charge £9k and then they blame them when they do. Great :colonhash:
Reply 82
Ok I'm just going to come out and say this: What the hell is Bishop Grosstete University College?
University of Manchester will charge 9000k too. No surprise really, if thats the limit, all unis will go for it.
Reply 85
Original post by She_Bittersweet
University of Manchester will charge 9000k too. No surprise really, if thats the limit, all unis will go for it.

9000k?

Wow, 9 Million is expensive.

:colone:
Original post by Krydel
9000k?

Wow, 9 Million is expensive.

:colone:

lol sorry got the number wrong:rolleyes: 9k i meant. Shouldnt reply to posts that early in the morning:colondollar:
Reply 87
Original post by ajp100688
Ok I'm just going to come out and say this: What the hell is Bishop Grosstete University College?

It's in Lincoln, quite a small place.

I went to an open day there and it wasn't too bad, but whenever I see the name I always think of *ahem* big balls. :wink:
Reading all the comments here about University fees and how they will be £9k (average) makes me wonder why do people bother the need to study anymore. Surely they could just buy their place at Uni and not worry about grades, etc. I would of thought that a University would take people on their achievements, not just their ability to pay. What happens if a really bright, gifted student wanted to go to Uni, but wasn't able the raise the money to go to it? Would that be it for them? And what about a not so bright student. Couldn't they just buy their way in if their parents were loaded? Surely there has to be some standards?
Reply 89
Original post by yogi_bear_2k2
What happens if a really bright, gifted student wanted to go to Uni, but wasn't able the raise the money to go to it? Would that be it for them?

No.

But first of all, the 9k isn't am average. It's a maximum of 9k. So far a few universities have announced 9k fees (including Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Exeter, Lancaster) and one has announced fees of 7.5k (Bishop Grossteste University College). I'll be surpised if most Russell and 1994 Group instiutions, amongst others, won't ask for close to 9k.

All students should get financial support (unless they already have a degree, of course, and even then there are a small number of exceptions).

All students will be entitled to a student loan and a tuition fee loan (as is the case now) meaning they don't pay it back until after they graduate. Yes, this still means that they graduate with thousands of pounds of student debt, and this will discourage some, but it's not quite accurate to say they cannot afford it.

A particularly poor student, one whose household income lies below the threshold, will be entitled to a grant which will pay for some, in some cases all, of the tuition fees. Not to mention the grants offered by universities themselves.

And what about a not so bright student. Couldn't they just buy their way in if their parents were loaded? Surely there has to be some standards?

Although there is a fear that this will cause a two tier university system I very much doubt universities will accept large numbers of substandard, but rich, students and risk their integrity. Perhaps I've being naive.
Thank you for your very comprehensive answer :smile:
Original post by yogi_bear_2k2
Reading all the comments here about University fees and how they will be £9k (average) makes me wonder why do people bother the need to study anymore. Surely they could just buy their place at Uni and not worry about grades, etc. I would of thought that a University would take people on their achievements, not just their ability to pay. What happens if a really bright, gifted student wanted to go to Uni, but wasn't able the raise the money to go to it? Would that be it for them? And what about a not so bright student. Couldn't they just buy their way in if their parents were loaded? Surely there has to be some standards?

Original post by River85

Although there is a fear that this will cause a two tier university system I very much doubt universities will accept large numbers of substandard, but rich, students and risk their integrity. Perhaps I've being naive.

I suspect there will be one or two who misjudge the situation and end up having to drop grades to attract students.

It is more likely with individual courses. If there are only 2 or 3 well regarded courses in a minority subject but say only one of those is in an "expensive" university, that one may find the stronger candidates going elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see if any university deliberately tries to undercut its peers and then openly markets on that basis. That was the strategy which Leeds Met tried and failed with last time.
Original post by River85

Original post by River85
No.

But first of all, the 9k isn't am average. It's a maximum of 9k. So far a few universities have announced 9k fees (including Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Exeter, Lancaster) and one has announced fees of 7.5k (Bishop Grossteste University College). I'll be surpised if most Russell and 1994 Group instiutions, amongst others, won't ask for close to 9k.

All students should get financial support (unless they already have a degree, of course, and even then there are a small number of exceptions).

All students will be entitled to a student loan and a tuition fee loan (as is the case now) meaning they don't pay it back until after they graduate. Yes, this still means that they graduate with thousands of pounds of student debt, and this will discourage some, but it's not quite accurate to say they cannot afford it.

A particularly poor student, one whose household income lies below the threshold, will be entitled to a grant which will pay for some, in some cases all, of the tuition fees. Not to mention the grants offered by universities themselves.

Manchester joined the 9k bandwagon this week.
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Manchester joined the 9k bandwagon this week.

Manchester always was.

Much more interesting will be Salford, Manchester Met, Bolton, LJM, and Edge Hill. There are a lot of universities in south Lancashire.

Also what will Chester do with Glyndyr sitting seven miles down the road?
Reply 94
Leeds Met to charge 8.5k?! Slightly awkward....!
Reply 95
For the year 2011-2012, Chester are charging approximately £3300. No idea about the year after.
That awkward moment when even the expolys charge 8.5k. This clearly has not gone to plan.
Original post by Lil2wkd

Original post by Lil2wkd
For the year 2011-2012, Chester are charging approximately £3300. No idea about the year after.

So is almost every other University in england.... that is completely irrelevant to this thread :smile:
Reply 98
This is what I know:

All who have declared intention to charge £9000 yearly (no particular order):

Oxford
Imperial College
Durham
Exeter
Essex
Surrey
Manchester
Warwick
Aston
Birmingham
Lancaster
Cambridge
University College London

£8500:

Leeds Metropolitan

£7500:

Bishop Grosseteste University College

£6000:

London Metropolitan

I may have missed quite a few but that's what I've gathered from BBC News
Reply 99
There is a page on the gaurdian that is updating the proposed uni fees as they come in. If you click on "Get the data" on the webpage below it takes you to a table on GoogleDocs with them all in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/mar/25/higher-education-universityfunding

Hope this is of help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending