The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
How far off are they?

Philosophy is 15, but I'm resitting a module, but thatll be after my application goes in and potential interview. Biology was bang on an A so I've dropped that. Why?
Original post by kjb2112
Philosophy is 15, but I'm resitting a module, but thatll be after my application goes in and potential interview. Biology was bang on an A so I've dropped that. Why?

15? :confused:

They sound a little low for Cambridge, so you might want to just try your chances with Oxford.
Reply 122
Wasn't aware I needed 3 A*s, is possibly 2 not enough?
Original post by kjb2112

For Cambridge you're looking at having at least 90 UMS over your AS subjects.
Reply 124
What do you mean 90 UMS over? E.g. History I could only get 40 over, same with English and Philosophy.
For Cambridge you're looking at having at least 90 UMS over your AS subjects.

It's not really neccessary across all four subjects, just the three most relevant or highest.
Reply 126
Me being stupid here.
Reply 127
Original post by Tsunami2011
It's not really neccessary across all four subjects, just the three most relevant or highest.

So... I need 3A*s?

I suppose, but it certainly helps. I mean, 90+ on three and then 80 on your fourth is okay, but there will obviously be more competitive candidates.
Original post by kjb2112

You don't need A* (obviously one), you just have to look like your capable of getting them, and seeing as A2 is harder than AS, if you're below 90 for the latter, you'll look unlikely to get them. It does not necessarily mean you won't, of course, but how are they gonna know that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kjb2112
So... I need 3A*s?

Not at A2, you only need A*AA. The 90% is just a guideline, people get in with more and people get in with less. 85%+ is usually seen as good, so I'd say you're well placed to apply. They usually consider your top three, and you have 2 over 90% which is good. Maybe consider applying to Downing, they promise interviews to anyone with an 85% average over their top three subjects.
Reply 131
Oh, 90+/100? And same circumstance for Oxford?
Reply 132
I suppose, but it certainly helps. I mean, 90+ on three and then 80 on your fourth is okay, but there will obviously be more competitive candidates.

I saw a graph produced by the Director of Undergraduate Admissions which showed the AS average UMS that people achieved when they were offered a place and it ranged from 85 to 100, with some way below that (due to special circumstances).

This was for engineering, however, so I don't know if it's true for other subjects.
Original post by wibletg
I saw a graph produced by the Director of Undergraduate Admissions which showed the AS average UMS that people achieved when they were offered a place and it ranged from 85 to 100, with some way below that (due to special circumstances).

This was for engineering, however, so I don't know if it's true for other subjects.

Fair enough. Like aforementioned by someone, the 90+ thing is just a guideline, so in no means is it absolutely concrete.
Original post by telephone
You don't need A*, you just have to look like your capable of getting them, and seeing as A2 is harder than AS, if you're below 90 for the latter, you'll look unlikely to get them. It does not necessarily mean you won't, of course, but how are they gonna know that?

I'd have to disagree with this, maybe if someone's just getting 80%, but if someone's getting 85% I'd say they were a fair shout to improve over the course of the year. Also, you only need 80% at AS for an A* in the most convential circumstances, so I don't get why people say you're less likely to, if you get below the threshold. Is A2 really that much harder? I've just started, so genuinely curious.
Reply 135
So, in everyone's view, should I got for Oxford or Cambridge, as I'm more concerned with my GCSE's inhibiting my chances.

I'd have to disagree with this, maybe if someone's just getting 80%, but if someone's getting 85% I'd say they were a fair shout to improve over the course of the year. Also, you only need 80% at AS for an A* in the most convential circumstances, so I don't get why people say you're less likely to, if you get below the threshold. Is A2 really that much harder? I've just started, so genuinely curious.

So do Cambridge seriously look for 2-3 A*s, if not 2 with on within close range?
Reply 136
Original post by kjb2112
I'm just starting A2 and looking at Oxbridge.

In AS' I got an A (190/200) in History, an A (186/200) in English and an A in Philosophy and an A in Biology. Do Oxford see UMS grades?

GCSE's were A*AAAAAAAB, which I'm aware are not the best grades for Oxford, so would these totally put me out of the race?

Should I look at Cambridge instead, even though they don't do History/Politics which is what I want to do, so I'd have to change my choices and PS to accomodate a single honours course in History, as this is all that Cambridge offer.

I'd be grateful of any advice.

your history ums is high as well as your English. A*A*A prediction is fine! If u can demonstrate passion in your interview you SHOULD get an offer. However the likelihood of you being auto-pooled is slim as their is a pooling based on UMS and GCSE thresholds but your college may put you through to the pool if they think you're a good candidate! GOOD LUCK

Obviously you're less likely to, being mathematically possible and likely are two different things. Obviously you can, like I said, I infact did, getting 80% at AS and then achieving A*. This does not mean everyone will.
Reply 138
Ooh controvesial! So, which do you thing is the more "rah"!
(edited 12 years ago)
good luck.

Quick Reply