The Student Room Group

Could my IQ actually be decreasing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by arbaaz
lol, i think mine was just a fluke....
i know, i'm just going to pretend it was the real one.

I like the feeling of thinking I'm clever :smile:

i used to think the same until my score started decreasing :/
Reply 41
Original post by MrHappy_J
i used to think the same until my score started decreasing :/

nahh don't worry about them... the iq tests don't reflect you as a person...:smile:
Reply 42
Original post by arbaaz
nahh don't worry about them... the iq tests don't reflect you as a person...:smile:

i appreciate that but somehow i doubt you'd feel the same if youd taken the same test three times and every time the score just gets worse. as much as you want to believe its all nonsense you cant help but wonder.

i'd be interested to know what people here get on this test actually, if you find the time, here's the link:

http://www.free-iqtest.net/iq.asp

free of charge and no details requested.
Reply 43
i appreciate that but somehow i doubt you'd feel the same if youd taken the same test three times and every time the score just gets worse. as much as you want to believe its all nonsense you cant help but wonder.

i'd be interested to know what people here get on this test actually, if you find the time, here's the link:

http://www.free-iqtest.net/iq.asp

free of charge and no details requested.

whenever i have more time i'll check it out. :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by arbaaz
whenever i have more time i'll check it out. :smile:

thanks x
Reply 45
(Sorry)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
I have an IQ of 130 if that site is anything to go by.

There is also one at

http://www.iqtest.dk

I managed a 135 on that one but its all based on logic.

Deviation level is also important in the score. Many seem to offer a deviation of 15:
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQBasics.aspx

I guess this is partly due to why I feel so depressed, having achieved so little, and doing little about it. I know I can do better
Reply 47
Original post by Kage
I have an IQ of 130 if that site is anything to go by.

There is also one at

http://www.iqtest.dk

I managed a 135 on that one but its all based on logic.

Deviation level is also important in the score. Many seem to offer a deviation of 15:
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQBasics.aspx

I guess this is partly due to why I feel so depressed, having achieved so little, and doing little about it. I know I can do better

:confused: an iq of 130 is good.

thanks for the link, does the page require you to be registered? ive done alot of iq tests and then not being able to get the result because they make you register or charge you a fee.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
:confused: an iq of 130 is good.

thanks for the link, does the page require you to be registered? ive done alot of iq tests and then not being able to get the result because they make you register or charge you a fee.

No charge, and results straight away.

The IQtest.dk gives you 40 minutes, but you aren't timed by the question and it should take alot less time than that.
After answering the 40 questions, you just scroll to the end button and click 'get results'.

By that statement at the end. I meant that I'm not doing much with my life, considering I have the capability to do a lot more.
I'm stuck in a dead end job at 24, not studying or anything, with my highest ever grade being a BTEC in E-Media. So it explains if at all true, why I'm quite down, knowing I can do better with myself but somehow not, as I have no idea what I want to be doing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Kage
No charge, and results straight away.

The IQtest.dk gives you 40 minutes, but you aren't timed by the question and it should take alot less time than that.

By that statement at the end. I meant that I'm not doing much with my life, considering I have the capability to do a lot more.
I'm stuck in a dead end job at 24, not studying or anything, with my highest ever grade being a BTEC in E-Media. So it explains if at all true, why I'm quite down, knowing I can do better with myself but somehow not, as I have no idea what I want to be doing.

oh ok ill try to do it this evening.

you're young, you still have potential. dont give up now and take time to figure out what you want.
count yourself lucky that you have the talent and ability, when i'm 30 ill probably be stuck in the position you are now, but instead of an office job i'll be stacking shelves somewhere.
and hey, at least you have a job. ive never worked in my life which will make things harder for me.

wait, how come you've got fewer qualifications than me? that doesnt make much sense. is getting back into education an option for you? if you can do that and you want to i'd say go for it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just did the iqtest.dk one, it doesn't seem too bad and its calculation of IQ is apparently "based on answers from more than 250,000 people".

Anyway, stop worrying about it. There's no reason to worry unless you are consistently getting under 80 - but maybe you should think about taking some more reliable tests, rather then ones on the internet.
Reply 51
Original post by Existentialistic
Just did the iqtest.dk one, it doesn't seem too bad and its calculation of IQ is apparently "based on answers from more than 250,000 people".

Anyway, stop worrying about it. There's no reason to worry unless you are consistently getting under 80 - but maybe you should think about taking some more reliable tests, rather then ones on the internet.

could you tell me what you got?

where do i go to take a "reliable" test?
could you tell me what you got?

where do i go to take a "reliable" test?

Have a look here, you probably won't be able to find any of them in an on line format, and you said earlier that you don't want to take a written test.

I'd take a Mensa test if you really want to find out what your IQ is, it only costs £17.50, but it ultimately means nothing to be honest.

Richard Feynman, one of the greatest theoretical physicists to have ever lived, "only" scored 125 when he was tested in High School. He later went to learn calculus by 15, and won the Nobel Prize for his work on quantum electrodynamics.
Reply 53
oh ok ill try to do it this evening.

you're young, you still have potential. dont give up now and take time to figure out what you want.
count yourself lucky that you have the talent and ability, when i'm 30 ill probably be stuck in the position you are now, but instead of an office job i'll be stacking shelves somewhere.
and hey, at least you have a job. ive never worked in my life which will make things harder for me.

wait, how come you've got fewer qualifications than me? that doesnt make much sense. is getting back into education an option for you? if you can do that and you want to i'd say go for it.

I have my GCSE's which I didn't think I did too well on, but I failed my 11 plus and ended up in a school I think couldn't teach me as much as I wanted.
Got 9 B to C's. You couldn't take any extra courses.

Then went to college and took a BTEC course which is equivilant to 3 A levels and got 3 distinctions. I was so proud of that result.

After that, I went to university studying animation, and realized a year in that I didn't want to do that. I'm self taught in 3D modeling, and I realized too late that animation wasn't where I wanted to be aiming.
After dropping out I taught myself more than I could have done at uni, and I'm trying to build up a portfolio, but not sure its where I want to be in the end anyway.

Here is some work I posted up in the Creative section. 3D modeling and music if you want to check it out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31718290&highlight=

Thing is, I could have swapped courses, but I didn't, and I still wonder if going back would be the best thing I could do, but money is an issue, and I don't want dept of any kind.
I was constantly told whilst doing the course that I'm too into realism and got pushed back because of that.
It was also the first time running the course, and they had no real idea how to go about it.
No one on that course, that has left with a degree, has done anything with it as far as I know, and learning myself has probably proven to be the best thing I could do, but the completion of work has been slow.

Even worse, I get down a lot because of the work I do. If I find my 3d works are progressing slow, or I'm hitting loads of problems, my mood is seriously affected.
This is partly why I think maybe going down this route as a job wouldn't be ideal for me, but the same happens with music making too if I can't come up with anything (and I don't tend to often).
Yesterday I was having such a low time, but a friend happened to ring me and cheer me up :smile:

Maybe music? *shrugs*

I guess you have to believe in yourself. It's one of the most important things I guess you can do.
Don't just think, do is another phrase I hear alot.

What qualifications do you have? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Kage
I have my GCSE's which I didn't think I did too well on, but I failed my 11 plus and ended up in a school I think couldn't teach me as much as I wanted.
Got 9 B to C's. You couldn't take any extra courses.

Then went to college and took a BTEC course which is equivilant to 3 A levels and got 3 distinctions. I was so proud of that result.

After that, I went to university studying animation, and realized a year in that I didn't want to do that. I'm self taught in 3D modeling, and I realized too late that animation wasn't where I wanted to be aiming.
After dropping out I taught myself more than I could have done at uni, and I'm trying to build up a portfolio, but not sure its where I want to be in the end anyway.

Here is some work I posted up in the Creative section. 3D modeling and music if you want to check it out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31718290&highlight=

Thing is, I could have swapped courses, but I didn't, and I still wonder if going back would be the best thing I could do, but money is an issue, and I don't want dept of any kind.
I was constantly told whilst doing the course that I'm too into realism and got pushed back because of that.
It was also the first time running the course, and they had no real idea how to go about it.
No one on that course, that has left with a degree, has done anything with it as far as I know, and learning myself has probably proven to be the best thing I could do, but the completion of work has been slow.

Even worse, I get down a lot because of the work I do. If I find my 3d works are progressing slow, or I'm hitting loads of problems, my mood is seriously affected.
This is partly why I think maybe going down this route as a job wouldn't be ideal for me, but the same happens with music making too if I can't come up with anything (and I don't tend to often).
Yesterday I was having such a low time, but a friend happened to ring me and cheer me up :smile:

Maybe music? *shrugs*

I guess you have to believe in yourself. It's one of the most important things I guess you can do.
Don't just think, do is another phrase I hear alot.

What qualifications do you have? :smile:

Aw well i'm sorry university didn't work for you, but glad that you had the guts to realise it and change paths. I've got four A levels and I'm in my second year at university but that doesn't mean anything. I'm not entirely happy with my course either but it's the only chance i'll get at a decent job and gives me some sense of security at least.

I haven't listened to the music but the images are awesome, keep up the good work and don't let anything put you down. I'm going to attempt the iq quiz you posted now even though i know i should be working :ninja:

edit: i got 104 :s it was probably slightly easier than the other one. the funny thing is i think i took that test before and i got a higher score than that.

x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Well that course for sure didn't, and its possible it didn't work due to the fact I was still living from home and not any accomodation.

Haha I think work is more important, but if you wish to do it, do so.
Reply 56
Original post by Kage
Well that course for sure didn't, and its possible it didn't work due to the fact I was still living from home and not any accomodation.

Haha I think work is more important, but if you wish to do it, do so.

i got 104. officially not very smart.
Reply 57
i got 104. officially not very smart.

I'd take those tests with a pinch of salt, and it is getting late.

In the end though, its not really IQ that matters. That is only a very small part of life in general.
Reply 58
Original post by Kage
I'd take those tests with a pinch of salt, and it is getting late.

In the end though, its not really IQ that matters. That is only a very small part of life in general.

depends on what sort of life you want to have, if you want a carreer thats intellectually demanding you cant really go that far.

but hey, i've got the same iq as the Queen. :rolleyes:

im still wondering why my score has gone down so much though :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
im still wondering why my score has gone down so much though :confused:

Obviously there are many different factors, are you taking the same test? Taking two different tests and then comparing the results would be stupid, wouldn't it? But things like how tired you are, what kind of day your having, what your attitude is like, if you're taking medication, ect.

But really, stop putting so much weight on an online IQ test. I just took the test in your OP and scored 136, yet the more detailed test gave me a result of 126 - a increase of 10 points, which is a considerable "change".

As I've said before, if you're really curious you should take a Mensa test, it's just about the only way that you'll be getting an "accurate" reading.

Quick Reply

Latest