The Student Room Group

you are not dyslexic!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joker370
I think it is the way the system works that is slightly odd - my sister is not incredibly intelligent and she is very poor at spelling, and a couple of years ago was diagnosed with 'spelling dislexia,' which gives her extra time. Even she and my parents think that she simply isn't very good at spelling - not that she has any kind of disorder or learning disability. She is however incredibly talented at art and has no real desire for extra time because academia is not involved in the careers she wants to pursue, and we all feel that the school simply identified her as someone who would probably get lower marks in her humanity and language GCSEs and so just shipped her off to the educational psychologist almost as a precautionary measure in case my parents tried to blame her teachers/her syllabus.

Did your sister go to boarding school?

Is this a common phenomenon that british parents blame teachers?

Did your sister stick with art because she had talent in it?

Did she have no interest in other subjects because it would be more challenging than something she has talent for or because she really did not have interest in anything but art?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by MrHappy_J
oh boo hoo, youre just worried about the competition in getting to oxford.

reasons for getting extra time other than dyslexia, hm let me see...there's hand and arm injuries, mental illness, and basically anything else that can impact on your writing speed if you can prove it with a doctor's certificate. oh and personal circumstances like bereavement also count.

this is such a non-issue i dont even know why you felt compelled to create a thread about it.

these are people who have been given extra time specifically for dyslexia (some of whom i am suggesting don't really have it), stay on topic.
im not going to even apply to oxford so ...?
it obviously is an issue if people are wrongly getting extra time, you are probably one of these people, the only kind of person who this wouldn't effect negatively.
Original post by see-are
these are people who have been given extra time specifically for dyslexia (some of whom i am suggesting don't really have it), stay on topic.
im not going to even apply to oxford so ...?
it obviously is an issue if people are wrongly getting extra time, you are probably one of these people, the only kind of person who this wouldn't effect negatively.

ok you're the one who asked me who else could get extra time so don't tell me to stay on topic.

it says in your profile "oxbridge hopeful" :rolleyes:

I'm not "wrongly" getting extra time, you dont know anything about me so who are you to say that? do you want me to scan my report to prove it to you??

it doesn't affect you so what are you worried about?

get off your high horse. honestly, you're just as bad as the people who think that everyone who's on benefits is a "scrounger".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
ok you're the one who asked me who else could get extra time so don't tell me to stay on topic.

it says in your profile "oxbridge hopeful" :rolleyes:

I'm not "wrongly" getting extra time, you dont know anything about me so who are you to say that? do you want me to scan my report to prove it to you??

it doesn't affect you so what are you worried about?

get off your high horse. honestly, you're just as bad as the people who think that everyone who's on benefits is a "scrounger".

errrrr you stalked my profile errrrr yeah thats oxbridge not oxford

it doesn't affect me but it is still an injustice.

not everyone on benefits is a scrounger, only the minority that fake ailments etc just like not everyone on extra time has an unfair advantage, only the ones wrongly diagnosed or faking it - very poor analogy by you : S
Reply 164
I have sex daily.

Oh wait, I mean dyslexia...
I AM dyslexic, My original test took around 1 month and i have regular shorter check-ups every 3 years. you can't fake being dyslexic, some of the test are so complicated, your not even sure what the right or wrong answers are. In some tests the better you do the more likley you are to be dyslexic. There are loads of different tests, done in different ways.
Reply 166
I ended up crying in one of my test sessions. It was the one where you've given an assortment of shapes, shown a picture of a larger shape and then you have to try to make that shape with the smaller shapes you've got.

I could not do it. Even the very first one where the picture had lines on it showing which shapes fitted together to make the larger one.

My non-verbal IQ (of which the above test was one assessor of) is in the 47th percentile. In comparison, my verbal IQ is in the 97th percentile.

I'm diagnosed as having dyslexia and dyspraxia.

People who fake it, if indeed there are people who fake it, annoy me. They annoy me a lot. Oh and I wasn't entered in for the tests by teachers wanting to cover their backs. I was fed up with struggling with certain things that my classmates could do easily, asked if I could get any help and was told to go to the learning support department. And it went from there.

EDIT: Just to clarify. I cried when the test was over because I was so frustrated with myself for not being able to do it. I just couldn't see it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I went to a top private school where a lot of my friends deliberately took and failed the dyslexia test in order to gain extra time in the exams.
It really irritated me, especially when they used to joke about it and are now reading humanities at Oxbridge.
I feel sorry for those people before the dyslexia tests who didn't know they had it because it wasn't even invented then! Those people who would fall behind of classes and just be forgotten about whilst the able students would race ahead..suppose now a days we're 'lucky' to have this test done...but in all honestly a lot of my friends, (where I probably could do with the extra time than they do) can use their 'dyslexia' as an excuse!
Grinds my gears at times when I pressed for times in exams whilst they're sitting back relaxed!

But I think a test like this is (obviously) needed to help those who need it, and I do feel sorry for them.
But for those just taking the test just for the sake of it and cheating the system is a stoop too low...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hravan
I ended up crying in one of my test sessions. It was the one where you've given an assortment of shapes, shown a picture of a larger shape and then you have to try to make that shape with the smaller shapes you've got.

I could not do it. Even the very first one where the picture had lines on it showing which shapes fitted together to make the larger one.

My non-verbal IQ (of which the above test was one assessor of) is in the 47th percentile. In comparison, my verbal IQ is in the 97th percentile.

I'm diagnosed as having dyslexia and dyspraxia.

People who fake it, if indeed there are people who fake it, annoy me. They annoy me a lot. Oh and I wasn't entered in for the tests by teachers wanting to cover their backs. I was fed up with struggling with certain things that my classmates could do easily, asked if I could get any help and was told to go to the learning support department. And it went from there.

EDIT: Just to clarify. I cried when the test was over because I was so frustrated with myself for not being able to do it. I just couldn't see it.

I have dyspraxia as well, I have trouble with all kinds of things because of it, made school really difficult and people bullied me a lot cause of the things I had trouble with :frown:
Even if everyone in that school were tested at school for dyslexia it is only an indicator, we do them at my school and I was picked out and then you have to pay to have an official one done, which gains you the extra time. The difference in numbers is probably to do with cost as they are expensive and then even when you are diagnosed there are extra costs on top of that.
Also about the 40 out of 150 receiving extra time (I believe that's right) not all of them will be dyslexic, there are many reasons you can receive extra time. They do say about 10% of people have it so it is common so it may be possible that, that school just has an abnormally high number and as for passing the entrance exams...just because you have dyslexia does not mean you are stupid and especially if entrance exams are IQ or non-verbal reasoning based then there will be no discrimination here.
Dyslexia tests take about 1 hour to 2 hours. You have to do an IQ test and then this is measured against the other tests you do for example, spelling, reading, writing speed, comprehension and there are many more. I could be wrong but then I think if there is a significant difference between the two they will diagnose you with dyslexia but you wont know the results for over a month as the reports take a while to complete.
Of course you could fake it but why you would want to is beyond me...I would do anything to not be dyslexic, including no longer having the extra time, if anything that is only a slight compensation and for most people I know who are dyslexic they struggle as much as 'normal' people do in the time limit with there extra time, so I would say dyslexic have no advantage with the extra time.
My University are convinced I'm dyslexic, I'm just lazy after using predictive texting and spell check for the past 10 years of my life.
Unfortunately, like all non-quantitive diagnosis it's not particually difficult to learn to work the system, especially if you're already a clever guy. Sadly, this is the way with quite a few learning difficulties and some immoral individuals will take advantage of this, undermining the authenticity of the condition.
Reply 173
I think a greater level of hesitation should be given before branding somebody as having a mental disorder. Perhaps schools should attempt to give more help to children who struggle to spell properly or use appropriate grammar rather than suggesting that the school is not accountable.
Original post by os93
I think a greater level of hesitation should be given before branding somebody as having a mental disorder. Perhaps schools should attempt to give more help to children who struggle to spell properly or use appropriate grammar rather than suggesting that the school is not accountable.

You are the second person on this thread to call dyslexia a "mental disorder".

Get. Your. Facts. Straight.
you pay a lot of money to get tested for this that money will pay for the educational psychiatrist to say what ever he's told to say :rolleyes: ... that being said some do genuinely have aforementioned conditions.
Reply 176
You are the second person on this thread to call dyslexia a "mental disorder".

Get. Your. Facts. Straight.

Read my post again, I do in fact agree with you. Dyslexia is not a mental disorder, and that is why people must be more careful before branding those with dyslexia as those with mental disorders.
I doubt it's more than a very, very small percentage of people who fake these tests tbh. (I imagine it's significantly less than 5/10% even)
at my college there is like 2 people in every exam who get extra time and there is like 60 taking the exam ... I have a friend who is dyslexic and my god if people fake it he would kill them because he can't spell the simplest words and gets his d's and b's mixed up all the time.
Original post by the_spirit_room
Did your sister go to boarding school?

Is this a common phenomenon that british parents blame teachers?

Did your sister stick with art because she had talent in it?

Did she have no interest in other subjects because it would be more challenging than something she has talent for or because she really did not have interest in anything but art?

At the time she wasn't at a boarding school, but she was at a public school so parents were paying fees.

I don't think it's massively common, but any public school wants to keep as good a reputation as possible - higher reputation = more students = more fees.

Yeah she did, she struggled massively till she moved schools in year 9 to a school that placed a much higher emphasis on art (the previous school was almost entirely academically orientated), and found she was pretty good at textiles and photography. While she had some interest in some academic subjects, I think she just found it depressing that other people seemed to find it so easy in comparison to her - I probably didn't help this unfortunately :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending