The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Original post by blueray
Hi Cubic :biggrin:
I've got the decision making one and the people and planet one. :smile:

Hi, good luck.

Original post by lucymcgonigle
I'm doing this, but I also am resitting last years exam, The Restless Earth, Living World, and Water on the Land...

Really struggling to remember everything :[

Have you tried writing little revision cards for each case study?

Simply write down around five facts for each case study that you can quote on the exam. Also, remember to refer to your case study throughout your answer by using these facts.

If you do this your answers should be getting into level three for all of the higher mark questions, this should boost your grade.

Good luck.
Have you tried writing little revision cards for each case study?

Simply write down around five facts for each case study that you can quote on the exam. Also, remember to refer to your case study throughout your answer by using these facts.

If you do this your answers should be getting into level three for all of the higher mark questions, this should boost your grade.

I have been mainly concentrating on the case studies, as they're usually 8 marks. I got an A in the coursework, so I hope this will boost it if I do badly
Original post by Cubic
We did the physical paper last year. Our topics were Rocks, resources and scenery, the coastal zone and the restless earth.

Do you have to do them both this year? That's nasty.

Yh I have to do them both this year:frown:. That is why there is so much content. For Physical we are doing Living World, The Coastal Zone and The Restless Earth.

What did you get in the Physical paper?
Reply 1943
Original post by GreenLantern1
What did you get in the Physical paper?

135/150 (A*)

I'm quite lucky to have got that mark, the case studies I went over happened to come up.
Original post by Cubic
135/150 (A*)

I'm quite lucky to have got that mark, the case studies I went over happened to come up.

Well done, nice mark! Can I ask how you structure the 8/9 mark case study questions?
Well done, nice mark! Can I ask how you structure the 8/9 mark case study questions?

Second that question! ^

Second that question! ^

4 reasons and explain them :smile:
Reply 1947

Second that question! ^

Thank you.

My teacher has taught our class a lot about exam technique.

Characteristics of a level 3 answer (5-8 marks / A - A*)
- Detailed and relevant (no waffle)
- Place names and examples (case studies)
- Chronological order - sequenced (particularly when explaining a process that occurs over time)
- Facts and figures, precision
- Literacy skills - Pee, Connectives, Good spellings.
- Geographical terms

You have to address the case study you will be using first, and constantly refer to it throughout your answer.

If the question is asking about impacts, state and explain positive and negative social, economic and environmental impacts.

I'll give a few examples that I've written in the past:

This was for a question on the coastal zone that I answered last year. It's worth 8 marks.

Spoiler

Describe how governments of richer countries have tried to cope with changes in population structure. (7 out of 8 marks)

Spoiler

Use a case study to describe the advantages and disadvantages of the development of a TNC. (7 out of 8 marks)

Spoiler

It seems that I start with the case study and then answer the questions using sentences which are constructed using facts and figures.

If you get a question on how people use fold mountains from the restless earth topic, you're laughing. It's an easy case study to learn.

Sorry for writing so much, hopefully it will help you both.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cubic
Thank you.

My teacher has taught our class a lot about exam technique.

Characteristics of a level 3 answer (5-8 marks / A - A*)
- Detailed and relevant (no waffle)
- Place names and examples (case studies)
- Chronological order - sequenced (particularly when explaining a process that occurs over time)
- Facts and figures, precision
- Literacy skills - Pee, Connectives, Good spellings.
- Geographical terms

You have to address the case study you will be using first, and constantly refer to it throughout your answer.

If the question is asking about impacts, state and explain positive and negative social, economic and environmental impacts.

I'll give a few examples that I've written in the past:

This was for a question on the coastal zone that I answered last year. It's worth 8 marks.

Spoiler

Describe how governments of richer countries have tried to cope with changes in population structure. (7 out of 8 marks)

Spoiler

Use a case study to describe the advantages and disadvantages of the development of a TNC. (7 out of 8 marks)

Spoiler

It seems that I start with the case study and then answer the questions using sentences which are constructed using facts and figures.

If you get a question on how people use fold mountains from the restless earth topic, you're laughing. It's an easy case study to learn.

Sorry for writing so much, hopefully it will help you both.

We also use PEE :lol:
Original post by Pandora.

1st June. :smile:

:O Really! When do your exams start? :s-smilie:
You can make up Case Studies
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
You can make up Case Studies

How do you make up a case study. It is meant to be a real place LOL!
I am also taking AQA Geography A and got 150 UMS on the Physical Paper. I did not use PEE chains (hate the things lol) but simply included lot's of facts and details about case studies. The examiners like it if you refer to a case study even if the question does not ask for one. If you find it hard to remember specific detials (say an exact number such as 103,056), just remember the round for the answer. For example you could say "Over 100,000 people...". This will not impress the examiner as much, but will still get you into level 3 (as long as the numbers are close). As a last resort, make up the numbers, but make a good guesstimate (love that word lol :colondollar:). It's no good saying that 1 person died in a huge tsunami, but if you guessed say "around 10,000 people are estimated to have died in the Tsunami" then you have a fighting chance of getting the mark.

Hope this advice helps. :biggrin:

Also, ALWAYS make sure you answer the question and not waffle on about irrelevent things. Too many people do this in all subjects. Half of the road to success it exam technique in my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yh I have to do them both this year:frown:.

Ouch. :frown:
Original post by matty123
Ouch. :frown:

So annoying as everyone else on TSR seem to have done either the Human or Physical paper in year 10!
Hello fellow year 11's. Just need some advice.
Could I still achieve my predicted grades of 8A*s and 2As if I just started proper revision today? (well I did 5 hours last week and about 7 hours this week but they were only for like one or two days). Stressing a bit :frown: Thanks! And good luck all!
How do you make up a case study. It is meant to be a real place LOL!

My Geography teacher says you can use case studies for places where you went on holiday. If worst come to worst in the exam and you can think of anywhere, make somewhere up which sounds real. For example, say its in Italy, describe the location of that, then say ifits northern, southern etc... She said its about applying your knowledge, but I'd still try and learn them all, but use that as a back up.

I've done about 2 hours revision so far today. I felt abit ill this morning, I think 5 hours a day is a bit of an overkill.
Reply 1957
i've not done any yet today (had work in the morning then went shopping) but plan to do an hour or so this evening.
I've done my revision plan by giving myself topics to cover each day rather than a set amount of time, to make sure I cover everything but I think I need to increase revision time because nothing seems to be going in :\
Very quiet here. I take it most people are busy revising then.
Very quiet here. I take it most people are busy revising then.

Yep:smile: How's your revision going?x

Latest