The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

I've now had to change my appointment. Have to wait around 3 - 4 weeks now.
(edited 11 years ago)
For those of you who saw the recently removed posts, I just wanted to again give a quick message of reassurance. Further to my post here, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with mention or discussion of Asperger's on TSR. Any suggestions that this may be the case are due to the misinterpretation of a moderation response to certain posts that were rule-breaking for other reasons. There's no reason at all for you to be worried. :smile:
Okie doke. That was my understanding - general rule breaking and not prejudice to those with ASDs.
Reply 443
Are there any support organisations that can help, I cannot get help from NHS or social services, and there is always me being told "NAS, NAS, NAS" but I can't afford NAS's services and they don't operate in my area. I get the same form letter year on year from NAS telling me to go away, there is LITERALLY NO HELP out there
Reply 444
I need someone to help there is no help out there i need help
Reply 445
Original post by Gutsman
I need someone to help there is no help out there i need help

You are not saying what is the problem
Original post by Gutsman
Are there any support organisations that can help, I cannot get help from NHS or social services, and there is always me being told "NAS, NAS, NAS" but I can't afford NAS's services and they don't operate in my area. I get the same form letter year on year from NAS telling me to go away, there is LITERALLY NO HELP out there

Is there no local Autistic society / association in your area?
Reply 447
Original post by OU Student
Is there no local Autistic society / association in your area?

There is BUT they require social services funding to use them, won't do ANYTHING if you don't have social services funding, like NAS they send the same form letters, and their office is an hour away by train (I can't afford the £13 train fare!!!) I can't even get a social worker I've tried MANY times to get help
How's everybody feeling about Ricky Gervais' new show that's on tonight?

The character he plays is supposed to be autistic. Everybodies defense of it seems to be that you cant silence people just because they cause offence, but cant they see that it is more than offence? It is bullying, and If it is popular it will lead to abuse. Why cant he pick on people who can defend themselves?
Original post by morecambebay

The character he plays is supposed to be autistic. Everybodies defense of it seems to be that you cant silence people just because they cause offence, but cant they see that it is more than offence? It is bullying, and If it is popular it will lead to abuse. Why cant he pick on people who can defend themselves?

I have never found that man funny at all.
Original post by morecambebay

I think it's a terrible idea.

And my dad who is mentally ill (not autistic spectrum) and is actually named Derek was really pissed off!
Reply 451
Sup guys. I haven't been diagnosed with AS but it seems very likely that I am on the spectrum somewhere. Anyhow, I had a major meltdown this morning because of sensory overload :frown: and I wondered if you guys had any tips or something on getting yourself calmed down and explaining what's happened to others, if you experience this too.
Original post by Etoile
Sup guys. I haven't been diagnosed with AS but it seems very likely that I am on the spectrum somewhere. Anyhow, I had a major meltdown this morning because of sensory overload :frown: and I wondered if you guys had any tips or something on getting yourself calmed down and explaining what's happened to others, if you experience this too.

This sounds familiar. Except I do try not to have a meltdown. Normally, I only ever have issues in public. (triggers are certain noises and bright lights) I do try to hide them though. I can sometimes be seen walking down the street with my hands over my ears.:redface: Usually when running. And no, it doesn't help me run faster.:tongue: It has been suggested that I wear ear defenders to block out noise. As someone with a sight impairment, that's not a good idea. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday and will see what they say then.

There's a programme on next Thursday by Louis Theroux (spelling) about Autism. BBC 2 9pm.
Can't remember if I've posted in here before?

I was diagnosed at 5/6. The advantage of early diagnosis is of course that you know what's wrong and people "work around" it. But the main negative for me is that I've found over the years I've perhaps used AS as an excuse (maybe somewhat unintentionally) in order to avoid situations and predicaments I've found difficult. In other words I think there have been many occasions where I have failed to fix some issue with my personality or my behaviour because it's "probably to do with AS, and thus unavoidable" when it could easily be entirely independent of my AS. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I don't like having AS. I notice some people seem to take a lot of positives from it, but I guess after all these years I'm just aching for some social interaction that I've lacked my whole life. Some proper friends, and damn it even a girlfriend haha.

I only have a very mild form of the condition which means I essentially get the worst from both worlds. I completely lack social skills (but not so people recognise, or believe, that I have AS; they just think I'm aloof and rude) but don't have intelligence that so many with AS are gifted with instead. Sometimes I'm not sure if I ever had AS at all, but that my early diagnosis and a life revolving around it has just put me into some sort of psychological mindset that I have it, if that makes sense. :s
Couple of questions from me:

Does anyone use ear defenders? Recommendations? I'm finding now that some everyday noises are really getting to me. The bus is impossible to use now :frown: - there's always some child screaming / shouting and the parent never does anything about it.

Does anyone use a weighted blanket? It was mentioned on another website and they do sound useful - especially in the summer when it's too hot to use my duvet; but I can't sleep without a blanket.
Original post by Introvert2020
Can't remember if I've posted in here before?

I was diagnosed at 5/6. The advantage of early diagnosis is of course that you know what's wrong and people "work around" it. But the main negative for me is that I've found over the years I've perhaps used AS as an excuse (maybe somewhat unintentionally) in order to avoid situations and predicaments I've found difficult. In other words I think there have been many occasions where I have failed to fix some issue with my personality or my behaviour because it's "probably to do with AS, and thus unavoidable" when it could easily be entirely independent of my AS. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I don't like having AS. I notice some people seem to take a lot of positives from it, but I guess after all these years I'm just aching for some social interaction that I've lacked my whole life. Some proper friends, and damn it even a girlfriend haha.

I only have a very mild form of the condition which means I essentially get the worst from both worlds. I completely lack social skills (but not so people recognise, or believe, that I have AS; they just think I'm aloof and rude) but don't have intelligence that so many with AS are gifted with instead. Sometimes I'm not sure if I ever had AS at all, but that my early diagnosis and a life revolving around it has just put me into some sort of psychological mindset that I have it, if that makes sense. :s

wow, that sounds just like me but better expressed then i could ever write it :P particularly the bit about social skills, its annoying having mild enough aspergers to know you're sticking out like a sore thumb, but not so mild that you still dont know what to say to people :P
Reply 456
Original post by bananaterracottapie
wow, that sounds just like me but better expressed then i could ever write it :P particularly the bit about social skills, its annoying having mild enough aspergers to know you're sticking out like a sore thumb, but not so mild that you still dont know what to say to people :P

Wow, yeah I probably have AS and doing test for diagnosis and what not. (taking bloody ages) The social thing.... Honestly I've never cared too much for that, I've seen friends come and go so often that It's just normal. I in some respects gave up on being social. I no longer care that I seem rude and random. If they don't like it, it's there problem. Then again my confident ranges to very little to so much that I often don't want to be very socialable (little) or can be extremely socialable (very high).

Peoples emotions? I don't really bother to much with that either, unless it's really obvious but otherwise it doesn't concern me.

Saying the wrong stuff that might upset others, err there fault for getting upset in the first place. (possible stubbornness)

But double standards when it comes to me, I psychically can not cry, but want to sometimes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
Couple of questions from me:

Does anyone use ear defenders? Recommendations? I'm finding now that some everyday noises are really getting to me. The bus is impossible to use now :frown: - there's always some child screaming / shouting and the parent never does anything about it.

Does anyone use a weighted blanket? It was mentioned on another website and they do sound useful - especially in the summer when it's too hot to use my duvet; but I can't sleep without a blanket.

Me too :dance: I wonder if it's exclusive to people with aspergers/autism.Do you also have to wear socks at home, even in summer? Does it annoy you when the duvet doesn't stretch to cover your feet, does it annoy when someone opens your bedroom window?... or am I just alone on this one :K:

No idea what you mean by a weighted blanket :teehee:
Original post by translucent
Me too :dance: I wonder if it's exclusive to people with aspergers/autism.Do you also have to wear socks at home, even in summer? Does it annoy you when the duvet doesn't stretch to cover your feet, does it annoy when someone opens your bedroom window?... or am I just alone on this one :K:

No idea what you mean by a weighted blanket :teehee:

Yes to all the above.

This is a weighted blanket.
Original post by bananaterracottapie
hi guys, been reading this thread :smile:
on the subject of learning and processing information i was wondering if anybody is like me in this way------i find it really difficult to be selective with information when writing essays, i pretty much have to learn everything I know about the subject, all the context, and once i've written it all down only then i can start to be selective with the information and cut it down......the only problem with this is its massively time consuming, the end result might okay, but i feel like im working backwards and its very stressful now im doing all essay subject a levels.
....being selective isnt only a problem when writing things down though, if a teacher asks me a very general question, i never know how to answer as i have a massive overload of ideas crowding into my head usually resulting in me mumbling "im not sure", and looking like a massive cretin :P

I'm exactly the same, the mumble issue, though it only ever happens with unfamiliar/authoritative people like teachers, I'm fine with friends.

And what about people commenting or correcting your 'impoliteness'? :angry:

Quick Reply