The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh the best arm improvements I've seen are from hitting db bench lately for sets.

Noticeable difference in arm size I've been told in the last month said a few people. Curls did nothing.

I've seen your training logs from a while back brah and you don't curl enough/ see them as a novelty.
Yes not sure what happened to him.

I was just doing my max effort deadlifts though grunting as I do (at the very least). With a bit of a rounded back some must have thought I would be put off by the dude ****ing up his lower back but meh.
Skimmed through the last couple of pages, ****ing hell.

the increasing numbers in tedious arguments - makes my eyes bleed
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143953411&daysprune=1

Scot Mendelson saying he will beat his raw record in the next few months.
Reply 944
What happened to the dude who benched 600x6?
By his vids I would say he is just not as close to a record comp bench as everyone thinks.
I seem to have some pain in my right shoulder but not in any standard exercise plane like bench press or OHP.

It hurts when I shrug a little and then push my shoulder forward - very sharp pain in my delt and a bit near my neck too.

Anyone had this before? I get also when I'm doing internal rotations for RC work.
Original post by Gallium
i noticed the most difference from direct arm work, also db shoulder presses kill the triceps

Tbh my arms were so weak that direct arm work like curls is done with stupidly light weights, like half the weight i db bench. And i read soething recently that said db bench was awesome for biceps/upper body stability etc...

Original post by Daax
I've seen your training logs from a while back brah and you don't curl enough/ see them as a novelty.

That's true. I've always been terrible at them and have made barely any progress on them as i didn't really care about the lift.
Reply 948
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh my arms were so weak that direct arm work like curls is done with stupidly light weights, like half the weight i db bench. And i read soething recently that said db bench was awesome for biceps/upper body stability etc...

That's true. I've always been terrible at them and have made barely any progress on them as i didn't really care about the lift.

If you cared as much about curls as squats you'd be swole and all in them sugar walls!
Reply 949
Thoughts on incorporating powerlifting into routines for mass? For instance, powerlifting the bench press/incline on a 7x4 or something and then incline/bench with 5x8-10 and finish off with flies with 4x8-10. Same would go with legs with squats, leg curls and leg press and then back with deadlifts, one arm/bent over rows and chins/pulldowns.
Original post by Jakeeyy
Thoughts on incorporating powerlifting into routines for mass? For instance, powerlifting the bench press/incline on a 7x4 or something and then incline/bench with 5x8-10 and finish off with flies with 4x8-10. Same would go with legs with squats, leg curls and leg press and then back with deadlifts, one arm/bent over rows and chins/pulldowns.

Most sensible bodybuilders will bench, squat and deadlift. Just because they are powerlifting lifts doesn't mean they aren't also great for building muscle
Reply 951
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Most sensible bodybuilders will bench, squat and deadlift. Just because they are powerlifting lifts doesn't mean they aren't also great for building muscle

So could low reps, heavy weights produce possibly less muscles mass than say if you were to do more reps on the big three lifts?
Original post by Jakeeyy
So could low reps, heavy weights produce possibly less muscles mass than say if you were to do more reps on the big three lifts?

Possibly. Although, if you are stronger on the three lifts (from lifting lower reps, higher weight) then you'll be able to lift more on your accessory lifts, and get bigger?

Personally I 5x5 bench and squat, and 3x3 deadlift, and use back off sets, and then 4x8 or 3x10 isolations.
Reply 953
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Possibly. Although, if you are stronger on the three lifts (from lifting lower reps, higher weight) then you'll be able to lift more on your accessory lifts, and get bigger?

Personally I 5x5 bench and squat, and 3x3 deadlift, and use back off sets, and then 4x8 or 3x10 isolations.

Yeah I've been reading a lot on how higher reps (in the 6-12 range) is better for mass. But i've been unsure because surely strength would come with mass, the muscles in use would have to become bigger and stronger to adapt to the heavier weight? But yeah, noticed it has helped my accessory lifts a lot with i guess with help with the mass building.
Eat right.
^yeah that helps
Original post by Michael XYZ
I seem to have some pain in my right shoulder but not in any standard exercise plane like bench press or OHP.

http://www.benbruno.com/2012/03/self-myofascial-release-for-the-pecs-and-shoulders/
The second stretch may help. No guarantees but looks like it might help.

Jakeeyy

Many bodybuilders do some form of deadlifting/squatting/benching. They just tend to do higher reps and possibly go to failure more often. Getting strong at the basic lifts is nearly always valuable, although of course if you're a bodybuilder curls, lateral raises, rear delts and a host of other isolation excercises are important as well.
Reply 957
Original post by The Blind Monk
http://www.benbruno.com/2012/03/self-myofascial-release-for-the-pecs-and-shoulders/
The second stretch may help. No guarantees but looks like it might help.

Many bodybuilders do some form of deadlifting/squatting/benching. They just tend to do higher reps and possibly go to failure more often. Getting strong at the basic lifts is nearly always valuable, although of course if you're a bodybuilder curls, lateral raises, rear delts and a host of other isolation excercises are important as well.

How would you say this relates to muscle mass?
Reply 958
Original post by Jakeeyy

Heard 531 is good for mass building if you put the right assistance lifts in
Reply 959
Original post by desijut
Heard 531 is good for mass building if you put the right assistance lifts in

How does that work? Im assuming you work in reps of 5,3,1?

Latest