The Student Room Group

>>> Aston or Manchester ?? :S

Hey everyone,

I got offers from both Aston and Manchester Uni, for International Business & Management(Int. Management for MBS). I am finding it really hard deciding which one to choose. Im an international student if that makes a difference
Both degrees have a placement year that I have great interest in.

Really appreciate your help
Manchester by FAR. As you're international, the international reputation will be important to you, Aston is not known abroad, whereas Manchester Business School has a fairly good international reputation.

The courses sound similar and both offer placements, just go with Manchester, you will probably prefer it as it has more of an international feel, is in a far nicer area in my opinion and as said MBS is well known abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by ali_aa25
Hey everyone,

I got offers from both Aston and Manchester Uni, for International Business & Management(Int. Management for MBS). I am finding it really hard deciding which one to choose. Im an international student if that makes a difference
Both degrees have a placement year that I have great interest in.

Really appreciate your help

Original post by victoryshinesonus
Manchester by FAR. As you're international, the international reputation will be important to you, Aston is not known abroad, whereas Manchester Business School has a fairly good international reputation.

The courses sound similar and both offer placements, just go with Manchester, you will probably prefer it as it has more of an international feel, is in a far nicer area in my opinion and as said MBS is well known abroad.

To be perfectly honest, I'd agree that Manchester has the better reputation.

However, Aston is very international and very nicely placed (5 minute walk to the heart of Birmingham / Bullring etc), so I don't really know where you got that info from Victory. Also Aston has completely new accommodation and sports facilities. I have no idea what the placement situation is like at Manchester, but at Aston EVERY business student does a placement, so the University really do support you in getting a place and lots of the big placement employers target Aston. Graduate employers probably target Manchester more though, but that's never held me back (I've got offers from the likes of Deloitte and IBM and am due to graduate in a month).

So I think potentially both Universities have their pro's and con's, up to you what you consider to be more important. If I'm entirely honest, in your situation I would probably edge towards Manchester for the reputation, but if the placement is key to you then I don't think any University supports it's students more in that regard then Aston.
Original post by M1011
To be perfectly honest, I'd agree that Manchester has the better reputation.

However, Aston is very international and very nicely placed (5 minute walk to the heart of Birmingham / Bullring etc), so I don't really know where you got that info from Victory. Also Aston has completely new accommodation and sports facilities. I have no idea what the placement situation is like at Manchester, but at Aston EVERY business student does a placement, so the University really do support you in getting a place and lots of the big placement employers target Aston. Graduate employers probably target Manchester more though, but that's never held me back (I've got offers from the likes of Deloitte and IBM and am due to graduate in a month).

So I think potentially both Universities have their pro's and con's, up to you what you consider to be more important. If I'm entirely honest, in your situation I would probably edge towards Manchester for the reputation, but if the placement is key to you then I don't think any University supports it's students more in that regard then Aston.

OP said Manchester gives placement year as well. It has a better reputation by far internationally, sorry, but that's probably Manchester's biggest feature. Also, I visited Aston with a mate who applied for Business courses, and the area around the uni looks vile to be quite frank, fair enough Aston's buildings itself might be fairly modern, but with the sorts of people in the local area, I wouldn't feel safe tbh
Reply 4
Original post by victoryshinesonus
OP said Manchester gives placement year as well. It has a better reputation by far internationally, sorry, but that's probably Manchester's biggest feature. Also, I visited Aston with a mate who applied for Business courses, and the area around the uni looks vile to be quite frank, fair enough Aston's buildings itself might be fairly modern, but with the sorts of people in the local area, I wouldn't feel safe tbh

I appreciate that Manchester does one as well, what I said was I don't think any University supports students in obtaining placements as much as Aston does, it's the key offering of the University and every student gets a placement. In that regard I'm confident Aston would be better.

I also appreciate that Manchester has the better reputation, which I've stated in the bit you highlighted, so I'm a bit confused at your response to be honest.

Aston University is in Birmingham City Centre, it literally could not be closer to the heart of Birmingham (far, far closer then Birmingham University incidentally). The area is perfectly nice (considering it is a city centre campus) and perfectly safe. Frankly your comments are baseless. Incidentally the Aston building is old, not new, so again you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

I appreciate you're backing Manchester (as I remind you I did as well), but I don't like it when people feel the need to put other options down through slanderous baseless comments just to strengthen their own opinion. \ Rant :angry:
Reply 5
I have also heard that the teaching is quite different. Aston is more hands on while manchester are more academic with their teaching is that true ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Im just about to graduate from Aston and Ive had the time of my life. Iv met some awesome lecturers, made some really good friends the majority are from outside of the UK. Enjoyed a successful placement year and have secured 3 grad role offers. (my boyfriend received 4 offers and chose Deloitte)

Aston is a lot smaller than Manchester and is focussed on Business as one of its most successful schools, accompanied with a higher employment rate than Oxford :smile:

I think Manchester overall is a better University but Aston in my opinion is a better option for business.
Reply 7
Original post by gem89
Im just about to graduate from Aston and Ive had the time of my life. Iv met some awesome lecturers, made some really good friends the majority are from outside of the UK. Enjoyed a successful placement year and have secured 3 grad role offers. (my boyfriend received 4 offers and chose Deloitte)

Aston is a lot smaller than Manchester and is focussed on Business as one of its most successful schools, accompanied with a higher employment rate than Oxford :smile:

I think Manchester overall is a better University but Aston in my opinion is a better option for business.

Id like to thank you all for all the help and your guidance, I decided to go with Aston University from the points u made it being a better business school. Honestly, i feel i made the right decision. Thats because I went there and saw the staff and one of the lecturers introduced himself and everyone i met there was nice and informing. Also found the campus comfortable for its decent size compared to MU.

Hope u get the results you are aiming for successfully.
Thank you all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending