The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael XYZ
1. What is "useless" muscle? I'd sure like to have more muscle and that's all that matters; no such thing as useless.

2. RDLs at a light weight you can feel it a lot if you go for a good stretch. As you get heavier you many not feel it as much but it should definitely tire out your hamstrings and if you do enough reps should start trembling etc.

unless your like me and rdls fatigue your back way before your hamstrings get fried!

when do you plan on cutting Michael lol!
Oh yes of course it's also a lower back movement. At times I try really hump the air with every rep and fire my lower back and glutes.

I plan on cutting after exams. For how long/to what point I don't really know. I'm hoping that if I do it slowly I can still make strength/size gains. It will be hard but a long Summer ahead.
Original post by alex_tait
Shear size helps in all of the powerlifting movements and the olympic weightlifting movements too. People take this functional strength thing way too seriously.

was watching the biggest loser aussieland last night

had a guy 233kg, and he was pulling the rack on the lat pulldown. The trainer was like 'oh my god you're so strong'

not so impressive by a man weighing 233kg lol
How much does being really, really fat help though?

I mean sure SHWs usually going to be stronger but they also compete and thus will have more muscle etc. Should an ordinary fatty still be really rather stronger?
The really fat people are generally strong because a 230kg guy standing up is like a 70kg guy doing a 160kg squat....

A fat guy walking/running is like a normal guy carrying someone or two people around constantly.
this is a guy who hasn't exercised in god knows how many years, sits down all day

look at all the weight that is helping him pull down the stack - whereas with a skinny guy it's nothing, the stack would pull him up
Reply 1846
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care

.. mad?

Not mad, enlightened. I didn't know that, now I do. Thanks.
Original post by commandant
was watching the biggest loser aussieland last night

had a guy 233kg, and he was pulling the rack on the lat pulldown. The trainer was like 'oh my god you're so strong'

not so impressive by a man weighing 233kg lol

They would get far more done on that show if they stop focussing on creating drama and stupid events and simply care about losing weight. I still remember in the UK one where one of the coaches got kicked off because she told her team to eat nothing before the weigh in lol.
An ordinary fatty would be stronger than an ordinary skinny guy. Their shear weight improves their leverages for lifting. This is one reason why Zack managed to double his squat on SS so quickly. He gained like 5 pounds a week.
I guess it depends how big the stack is and how he did it though. I know weighing 200kg vs 50kg is gonna be a big difference but the whole stack still seems very strong.
Reply 1850
Shear size helps in all of the powerlifting movements and the olympic weightlifting movements too. People take this functional strength thing way too seriously.

An ordinary fatty would be stronger than an ordinary skinny guy. Their shear weight improves their leverages for lifting. This is one reason why Zack managed to double his squat on SS so quickly. He gained like 5 pounds a week.

Sheer*

Jus' saiyan
cummon most lat pulldown stacks are around 80-100
Plan for today.

Go try on some Adidas trainers at random shops until i'm certain of my size.

Buy some adidas power perfect 11s online for £93 including delivery.
http://www.bournesports.com/adidas-power-perfect-ii-weightlifting-shoe.html

Anyone find anywhere much better to buy them?
Can save like 50p on Amazon but it's some third party site that take like 5 days to even send them...
80-100kg?

I have no idea. Very rarely do lat pulldowns; it's a fat man's pull-up isn't it? :P
**** hooked on protein pancakes/eggs for brekky! brb chucking cinnamon on everything i see.

hamstrings feel smashed after 2 sets of rdls @50kg lol
Original post by Gallium
**** hooked on protein pancakes/eggs for brekky! brb chucking cinnamon on everything i see.

with RDLs you don't really need a lot of weight to really feel it

concentrate on nice slow controlled form and it'll wreck you :smile:
Original post by commandant
with RDLs you don't really need a lot of weight to really feel it

concentrate on nice slow controlled form and it'll wreck you :smile:

yeah, form can breakdown very easily due to back fatigue....tbf i'm finding to pick a good hamstring movement, can't do ghrs, and good-mornings/rdls fry my lower back more then anything else.

reading peoples logs they deadlfit like 160x5 and do rdls with 100kg +, i was like wtf!
Original post by Gallium

Wut, how are you doing em? 60kg should feel like warmup. Tried SLDL? Those fry my hams...
Original post by Gallium
yeah, form can breakdown very easily due to back fatigue....tbf i'm finding to pick a good hamstring movement, can't do ghrs, and good-mornings/rdls fry my lower back more then anything else.

reading peoples logs they deadlfit like 160x5 and do rdls with 100kg +, i was like wtf!

yeh I don't do them either, anything that puts an uneasy load on my lower back I shy away from

for my hammies I do lots of curls (lying, seated) - hammie kickbacks if your gym has the machine. pull throughs are nice too, lunges, also wide stance low box squats seems to hit my hams nicely.

Latest