The Student Room Group

Is it cool to wear a sweatshirt?

Is it me or is it that there the majority of male students are wearing these retro mickey mouse sweatshirts from Topman or River Island? I see college, uni students and yp wearing the same designs. There has to be a greater choice or is it just they're dirt cheap?

I want something different so I don't feel I've just turned up at an event only to find 4 people wearing the same shirt. :mad:

I have been on the Internet to see what, if any sweatshirts celebrities are wearing. Not easy to find. I want something different other than ebay can anyone recommend a shop or website to get something like a vintage, sport or classic design.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes
Reply 2
no
omg yes you will be the envy of all your peers
Reply 4
Not an Umbro one :lolwut:
Reply 5
They are a bit 'old skool', maybe that's the attraction...
Reply 6
I'm looking to buy one so bar Topman, River Island or JD sports are there any shops/vintage stores I can go to in Mcr, Sheffield, Chester, Leeds or Liverpool where should I be looking?

I want something I can hang out down the student union, pub or lectures. Something different that mates will say "where did you get your sweatshirt from?" or "cool sweatshirt."
Reply 7
Original post by Casius
Yes

What brand of sweatshirt do you wear? and would you wear them with jeans or trekkies?
Original post by mancabouttown
I'm looking to buy one so bar Topman, River Island or JD sports are there any shops/vintage stores I can go to in Mcr, Sheffield, Chester, Leeds or Liverpool where should I be looking?

I want something I can hang out down the student union, pub or lectures. Something different that mates will say "where did you get your sweatshirt from?" or "cool sweatshirt."

Go to ASOS or Urban Outfitters.
Reply 9
Original post by RolyBholi
Not an Umbro one :lolwut:

If you saw me walking in front of you in this with trekkies what would your first thoughts be about my dress sense?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I thought you meant cool as in the weather! :frown:
Reply 12

First impressions count and this is often reflected in the clothes they wear. May be this is where I'm going wrong. I'm a sporty person that goes running, swimming and work outs out regularly. Apart from a suit and a few flash clubbing shirts, I find myself wearing nineties baggy sweatshirts and trekkies during the day.

Any tips on what sort of clothes guys wear that make you think he has style?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by dongonaeatu
no

What's wrong with sweatshirts? They go with anything & given the recent capricious weather, would come in handy? Whilst they may not be the number one stylish item in ones wardrobe, they are versatile.
Reply 14
If you saw me walking in front of you in this with trekkies what would your thoughts be and why?

I'm open to ideas and trying different styles

I'd think you were either a chav or sporty and hadn't had time to change from a training session, because Umbro isn't 'cool' or fashionable.
Reply 15
Yep it's cool
Reply 16
Original post by RolyBholi
I'd think you were either a chav or sporty and hadn't had time to change from a training session, because Umbro isn't 'cool' or fashionable.

Ok. I take you're point. I'm not a 'chav', but I want to try and smarten up. I'm not saying I'm going to have a clearout. I'll still wear it (not as much and in a certain place), but sense that I may need to change. maybe a venck, shirt & jeans. What sort of dress sense do you look for in a guy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Ok. I take you're point. I'm not a 'chav', but take your point. I want to try and smarten up. I'm not saying I'm going to have a clearout. I'll still wear it (not as much and in a certain place), but sense that I may need to change. maybe a venck, shirt & jeans. What sort of dress sense do you look for in a guy?

My personal taste in dress sense on a guy is either smart-casual or indie, and I quite like the whole checked shirt craze.

You should dress according to your personality, though. Like, say if you were a chav, you'd look a bit odd dressed smart casual for your everyday fashion sense because it wouldn't match your personality. People who dress smartly often have a corresponding personality. Just saying, if you wear something that 'isn't you', you'll probably feel uncomfortable.
Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
only if you are swole.
Reply 19
I have one of these pull and bear sweatshirts and I wear a shirt under it usually. It's just something a bit different to a jumper

Quick Reply

Latest