The Student Room Group

Prom - Won't wear a dress

So my sister has got her year 11 ball coming up, but she hates wearing dresses. Her opinion of prom was 'I don't even want to go, but my friends are forcing me'.
We're thinking perhaps a trouser suit of some kind.

She's getting pretty tall and is very slim, and adores the colour orange. Are there any ideas or suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say go for it! If she is tall and slim a suit sounds like a perfect option. Something sophisticated with some killer heels me thinks...

What's her budget?

She could wear a blazer with some nice tailored shorts also.
(edited 11 years ago)
What about skirts or a nice top with dark trousers
Reply 3
Does she like wearing playsuits? Maybe a really smart one, in pale orange or peach coloured silk with beige/gold heels and a navy blue suit jacket on top, I think would be slightly more feminine than a trouser suit, unless she's a tomboy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Let her be.

This is an advice thread, in the Fashion forum. Don't bring human rights, society and all that kinda nonsense here.

The question has been answered, stop venting.

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't believe people are actually suggesting she should care so much about what other people think. :rolleyes: If she doesn't want to wear something she shouldn't, simple as that.
Reply 7
Original post by Hopple
Would she get in? I'd assume there's some sort of dress code :s-smilie: I suggest either doing it properly (wearing a proper dress) or not going at all. If her friends want her to go they want her to join in fully, so they're still going to be disappointed if she turns up wearing something odd - and she will look odd :tongue:

Yeah, she'll get in. I imagine her friends would be more surprised if she turned up in a dress tbh.

A playsuit may be an option. There is pretty much no way we'll get her into heels though I'd imagine.

Original post by CollateralElement
She's young, you're older. Make a deal with her of some sort so she wears a dress or a playsuit or something - Or she'll end up regretting the trouser suit later on.

I think the best deal I'll be able to get will be some kind of feminine suit, and possibly a feminine blouse.
Original post by Aula
I think the best deal I'll be able to get will be some kind of feminine suit, and possibly a feminine blouse.

I think the look would be better with heels but just see what she says I guess.

Not sure what your budget is, but try Whistles, they have some amazing suits that she could probably wear again in the future.
A playsuit would be nice. She could try an orangey full legged playsuit with a nice grey blazer over top. And dolly shoes would look look very nice with a playsuit - no heels needed.
Reply 10
Original post by Bibs_x
Does she like wearing playsuits? Maybe a really smart one, in pale orange or peach coloured silk with beige/gold heels and a navy blue suit jacket on top, I think would be slightly more feminine than a trouser suit, unless she's a tomboy?

^ Brilliant idea! Think this'd look much nicer than one of those silly princess dresses everyone else has. :smile: My friends at prom couldn't even go to the toilet by themselves because their dress hoop was too big for the door.
Have a look at some of tilda swintons red carpet outfits. She's had some gorgeous, but elegant, suits.
Original post by Aula
So my sister has got her year 11 ball coming up, but she hates wearing dresses. Her opinion of prom was 'I don't even want to go, but my friends are forcing me'.
We're thinking perhaps a trouser suit of some kind.

She's getting pretty tall and is very slim, and adores the colour orange. Are there any ideas or suggestions?

That is pretty cool.
I'd suggest fitted suits, so like very slim fitting. Like, skinny trousers and a slim jacket

Check this out:

http://lookbook.nu/look/widget/596193-Make-Me-Blush

Not really fancy but it looks pretty decent!

Or along the lines of this:

http://lookbook.nu/look/159054-joining-the-circus

A nice fitting suit? With a nice blouse, and accessories e.g fancy hair, and earrings and scarves heels etc..
Reply 14
An orange play suit would be really nice, with some chunky wedges or a nice pair of heels, even some gladiator sandals would look lovely with an orange play suit. I don't get why people are implying that she should care what other people think. Prom should be the time you celebrate your five years at school and forget about all the childish remarks.
I'd just go in a dress and stop being stubborn.
Reply 17
I wouldn't recommend a suit at all. At my prom, ALL the girls wore dresses of some kind, and one girl wearing a suit would feel, I would imagine, incredibly uncomfortable.

Maybe consider other options, but I really wouldn't advise wearing a suit!
Reply 18
I hate dresses so I went in a chiffon velvet loose long shirt and a black bodycon skirt with tights and brogues (i cant sand heels)
Reply 19
I'd suggest really thinking about this - I went to prom in a normal every-day dress (budget) and was the only one not wearing the more princess-y dresses. I got a few comments from people and disappointed looks from teachers. The difference with a suit would be even greater.

HOWEVER, if she wants to go in a suit, she should. I think it could look very nice. You just have to accept that in high school, people are still immature and petty.

Quick Reply

Latest