The Student Room Group

AQA History HIS3M The Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
exam on tuesday :s-smilie: praying the economy comes up , politics can blag society i got sorted, britian and the world.... not so much

can't wait till this is over then no more history woooo!!!!

i swear i've been mumbling thatcher facts in my sleep i've bored all my friends with my oh did you know....? every time something even slightly relevant comes into convo

its such a long exam tho with my extra time aswell, i need an A to get an A overall but thats 72 marks i have to get :O somehow think i'll be getting a B

hows everyone else feeling bout tuesday??? cus im bricking it
Reply 41
Original post by piccolissima
So glad to find this thread!

The 2010 paper had questions on 1961-73 and 1994-2007 and a synoptic economic question and 2011 had 1951-64 and 1979-90 and synoptic social so it's probably fair to say that there'll be something covering 1964-79 :smile:

Maybe something involving the 2nd Wilson govt and Callaghan as they haven't been on the papers so far or on Major, as they've only had up to 1990 and post-1994?

We've been told to think about synoptic foreign policy but also about a synoptic question on the Labour Party, the Conservative Party and trade unions as possibilities~

I'm averaging fairly high As on my essays and as regards structure, I'd say the most important thing is to make your argument clear at the beginning but also offer an alternative interpretation and just keep linking your factors back to the question. Also try not to be too repetitive in your conclusion, try and include something new in there and prioritise and link your factors- it's really important that you make a judgement and don't just stand on the fence!

For example, an essay I wrote on whether Major continued Thatcher's policies that got 41/45 started like this:

The contributions of John Major's premiership to Britain, in terms of the economy, politics and British foreign relations are a subject under debate. This debate is divided fairly clearly between two opposing groups, those who see Major as a blander variation of Thatcher and those who are of the opinion that, while not completely shaking off the Thatcher legacy, Major's style and policies were still too distinct to be referred to as Thatcherism. It must be achknowledged that Major did indeed keep some consistency with the policies of his predecessor, however, through closer examination of his policies regarding foreig relations, the economy and his relationship with the Conservative Party, it will be seen that there were some significant differences.

Hope this is vaguely helpful! :smile:

show off :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by codle
No problem :smile:
Not too bad, if the questions I'm good at come up then I'll be fine, but if there are any surprises then it won't be so good :P
what about you?

Same i guess, im not really ready for it, but all i can do is try my best. i really hope a synoptic on foreign policy comes up :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by asparkyn
Am I the only one feeling like crap for this unit? I don't understand anything that I'm reading!!

I am so with you! I advice anyone who is reading this who is in AS to drop history! HATE HATE HATE this unit!
Reply 44
Original post by K_12
Thank you Liam :smile:
If its a synoptic question on foreign policies would you write just one detailed paragraph on each of the following: commonwealth, europe, and america ranging from 1951-2007?
:smile:

Yes that is what I will be doing matey, breaking it into each reason to do with Foreign Policy and discuss it between 51-07. I've used that technique and got high A's from my teacher so it's a proven technique. I weren't putting historical interpretations in however cause I hadn't bothered researching any so it limited them to mid 30's/45.

On the Historical Interpretation point, try to use others apart from Marr and Rowe, they will appreciate that as it seems the exams have become saturated with them.

Original post by asparkyn
I think it's safe to say that a question on Blair might just come out, with a synoptic question on foreign policy. They wouldn't repeat the questions, would they? I mean, there have aonly been 2 past year papers so far, and they wouldn't be so stupid as to rephrase the same questions again, given the huge pool of possible questions they could ask, right?

Blair came up on the first paper, so I doubt he will, though more likely than Thatcher. If I had to guess it would be Wilson's second term around that time, and also Major. Yes the synoptic will most likely be Foreign too fortunately :smile: well I darn hope so!
Reply 45
Original post by Liam_W_
Yes that is what I will be doing matey, breaking it into each reason to do with Foreign Policy and discuss it between 51-07. I've used that technique and got high A's from my teacher so it's a proven technique. I weren't putting historical interpretations in however cause I hadn't bothered researching any so it limited them to mid 30's/45.

On the Historical Interpretation point, try to use others apart from Marr and Rowe, they will appreciate that as it seems the exams have become saturated with them.

Blair came up on the first paper, so I doubt he will, though more likely than Thatcher. If I had to guess it would be Wilson's second term around that time, and also Major. Yes the synoptic will most likely be Foreign too fortunately :smile: well I darn hope so!

Thank you Liam, i wish you was my teacher! :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by K_12
Thank you Liam, i wish you was my teacher! :smile:

Much too kind!
Reply 47
My teacher didn't teach us the economics of Major and Blair because he didn't have enough time. Is it worth learning it now on my own because if a question that relates to that comes up in the exam then I'll be majorly peed off :angry:
Reply 48
Original post by MeGusta
My teacher didn't teach us the economics of Major and Blair because he didn't have enough time. Is it worth learning it now on my own because if a question that relates to that comes up in the exam then I'll be majorly peed off :angry:

I certainly would as Major is a big possibility and economy is arguably his greatest lasting legacy with Black Wednesday. Blair is more unlikely but you just never know.

Good luck!
Reply 49
That was when Major was forced to withdraw from the ERM, right? I remember doing that for foreign policy. Hmm true, I guess I could quickly revise it just in case it does come up. Thanks!

Good luck to you to!
Reply 50
What can i mention for thatcher and her foreign policies for Europe?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by K_12
What can i mention for thatcher and her foreign policies for Europe?

Her relationship with Europe in general would be Bruges Speech in 1988 - how she was against Federalism etc which then led to headlines like 'UP YOURS DELORS' as the President of the European Commission wanted the EEC to be a political union too.
Also she fought to get Britain a rebate, as we'd been paying much more into the EEC than getting back.
Her relationship with Germany - she was anti-German (due to World Wars) didn't get on with their Chancellor Helmut Kohl. Germany then took theri revenge and didn't invite her to the fall of the Wall in 1989, despite her part in the Cold War.
Reply 52
Original post by lampshade1
Her relationship with Europe in general would be Bruges Speech in 1988 - how she was against Federalism etc which then led to headlines like 'UP YOURS DELORS' as the President of the European Commission wanted the EEC to be a political union too.
Also she fought to get Britain a rebate, as we'd been paying much more into the EEC than getting back.
Her relationship with Germany - she was anti-German (due to World Wars) didn't get on with their Chancellor Helmut Kohl. Germany then took theri revenge and didn't invite her to the fall of the Wall in 1989, despite her part in the Cold War.

Reply 53
This is what I have gathered so far in terms of predictions...

Synoptic on Foreign policy..
Something on Wilson and failed governments 64 - 79
Blair / New labour legacy
Major ??

Correct or I've missed something out ?
Reply 54
Original post by Myth717
This is what I have gathered so far in terms of predictions...

Synoptic on Foreign policy..
Something on Wilson and failed governments 64 - 79
Blair / New labour legacy
Major ??

Correct or I've missed something out ?

LOL, i answered this on other thread :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ToyosiBaby
Thank you sooo much this has really helped...I will try to remember to ALWAYS link it to the question and support my L.O.A (line of argument)
I do do so, but I also think that my analysis needs to be stronger throughout...it is consistent but not very strong..what would you suggest?

Analysis is assessing the impact of something. So you would introduce your line of argument like the high unemployment levels I mentioned before and then in your paragraph say...'In particular Thatcher encouraged Ian McGregor in the plans to close mining pits in Britain threatening the loss of 20000 jobs, leading to unrest in poorer communities and culminating in the miner's strike.' If you're still unsure you can add...the most prominent industrial dispute of the 1980s. So that the examiner can clearly see you have assessed the impact of Thatcher's tolerance of high unemployment.

Basically don't narrate, always make sure you are assessing what you are saying in what is led to or had an impact on.

I think that's right, anyone have any other ideas?
Reply 56
Does anyone know any good documentaries/films for this unit :smile: please quote me ill rep you
Original post by jada897
Does anyone know any good documentaries/films for this unit :smile: please quote me ill rep you

The best thing you could possibly watch is Andrew Marrs 'History of Modern Britain' from 2007. It is a series and covers the whole period of 1945-2000. It is well worth a watch.

You might also want to watch the film 'Mo' which I think was made my channel 4 or the BBC and is all about Mo Mowlam, Ireland and Blair!

Thank god the exam is only 1hr 30! :frown:

Jordan
Reply 58
Original post by jordanashley
The best thing you could possibly watch is Andrew Marrs 'History of Modern Britain' from 2007. It is a series and covers the whole period of 1945-2000. It is well worth a watch.

You might also want to watch the film 'Mo' which I think was made my channel 4 or the BBC and is all about Mo Mowlam, Ireland and Blair!

Thank god the exam is only 1hr 30! :frown:

Jordan

Aww thank you luckily I'm only just starting this unit (tomorrow) so I just want a little head start really :smile: thanks for the reply and good luck! OOh I found it on youtube too http://www.youtube.com/user/HellwrathUK/videos?query=andrew
(edited 11 years ago)
It is definitely a good idea! I wish I had done the same. Seeing as you have loads of time it would also be worth buying these books:

Andrew Marr: History of Modern Britain
Peter Clarke: Hope and Glory

'The Oxford Popular History of Britain' also has two succinct chapters on this period, and would be perfect for a head start!

I find the books listed above much better and more detailed than the AQA course book.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest