The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
do we have to know the indicators and colour changes or will they be given/??/
Reply 581
Think I will go through all of the Jan'10 - Jan'12 papers tomorrow, just to make sure I am updated with the key MS words.

What's everyone's plan for tomorrow? :smile:
Reply 582
Original post by rss.914
do we have to know the indicators and colour changes or will they be given/??/

They will be given, doesn't say we have to know indicators or anything!!
Reply 583
Original post by Doctor.
Think I will go through all of the Jan'10 - Jan'12 papers tomorrow, just to make sure I am updated with the key MS words.

What's everyone's plan for tomorrow? :smile:

conditions & definitions
Reply 584
Original post by sconter
conditions & definitions

There aren't that many definitions? :s-smilie: Most are just common stuff I guess - only a few that you have to really go out of your way and learn lol

Conditions are a bit annoying, thank god there are not too many of them! Need to go through my structure determination chart tomorrow :lol: its got arrows and everything :colonhash:
Reply 585
Original post by Doctor.
There aren't that many definitions? :s-smilie: Most are just common stuff I guess - only a few that you have to really go out of your way and learn lol

Conditions are a bit annoying, thank god there are not too many of them! Need to go through my structure determination chart tomorrow :lol: its got arrows and everything :colonhash:

jealous.

yea, the mathy stuff is pretty straight forward, particularly after having phys4 today :frown: so its just the knowledge kind of marks i need to make sure i get.

im pretty sure i know all the mechanisms, but ill go over them too.
Reply 586
Original post by sconter
jealous.

yea, the mathy stuff is pretty straight forward, particularly after having phys4 today :frown: so its just the knowledge kind of marks i need to make sure i get.

im pretty sure i know all the mechanisms, but ill go over them too.

Ah good good :tongue:

I'll be on here like a hawk tomorrow! :tsr2:

Been up since 6 today so, night folks :smile:
Reply 587
Does anyone have a list of mechanisms when reflux is required? I know that it is for primary alcohol \rightarrow carboxylic acid, but what are the others that we need to know?
Reply 588
Original post by Glacier
Does anyone have a list of mechanisms when reflux is required? I know that it is for primary alcohol \rightarrow carboxylic acid, but what are the others that we need to know?

reflux...only the aldehyde to carboxylic comes to mind really :s
Did the June 2010 paper today and got 90/100 which converts to 117 UMS - pretty happy with that.

I'm still not 100% confident on all the organic reactions/mechanisms and can't just recite them off-by-heart but when faced with reactants and pathways on paper I seem to be doing okay. I just hope there isn't a really long-winded question requiring loads of steps to be identified.
Reply 590
Original post by Glacier

haloalkane to alkene is naoh/ ethanol with reflux
Reply 591
Original post by Doctor.
reflux...only the aldehyde to carboxylic comes to mind really :s

Original post by rss.914
haloalkane to alkene is naoh/ ethanol with reflux

Thanks. I've searched all of the mark schemes since 2002 and the only other time when reflux was needed in an answer was esterification, where either "heat" or "reflux" was accepted.

I've looked at my AS textbook for haloalkane reactions and reflux wasn't mentioned. Is it needed for both nucleophilic substitution and elimination with NaOH, or just elimination?
Reply 592
Original post by Glacier
Thanks. I've searched all of the mark schemes since 2002 and the only other time when reflux was needed in an answer was esterification, where either "heat" or "reflux" was accepted.

I've looked at my AS textbook for haloalkane reactions and reflux wasn't mentioned. Is it needed for both nucleophilic substitution and elimination with NaOH, or just elimination?

in the cgp book it says to get from haloalkane to alkene you use naoh/ethanol under reflux so its elimination....
Reply 593
Do you guys think this paper will be easier or harder than the Jan 2012 one? I'm actually not taking this exam because I got 102 UMS on the Jan 2012 first time around, just curious to know what ya'all think and I'm currently helping a friend revise for his CHEM4 resit.
Reply 594
I just hope not a lot of the structure determination, chromatography and racemic questions come up.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I dont understand qu 2di and ii on the jan 2011 pper :frown: cn sum1 help?
Original post by Glacier

alcohol -> alkene is conc H2SO4, reflux, according to my revision guide
Original post by ILikeChocolate<3
I dont understand qu 2di and ii on the jan 2011 pper :frown: cn sum1 help?

In those questions you have the value for ka and in di. you can work out the moles of HY by doing mole=conc.xvol/1000. You also have the value fore the number of moles of the salt added because it tells you in the question that they are adding 0.0236 moles of the NaY. This means you have the ka, the HY conc and the Y- conc so you rearrange to get the h+ conc and work out the ph.

In the second part you add 0.0005 moles of NaOH. This NaOH will use up some of the acid you originally had so you subtract 0.0005 from the number of moles of acid in the previous question. You are also forming 0.0005 moles more of the salt by adding this NaOH so you add 0.0005 to the 0.0236 moles of Y- that you had before. Once again you have the ka, the conc of HY and the conc of y-, so you just rearrange to get h+ again.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Calumwalyumsun
In those questions you have the value for ka and in di. you can work out the moles of HY by doing mole=conc.xvol/1000. You also have the value fore the number of moles of the salt added because it tells you in the question that they are adding 0.0236 moles of the NaY. This means you have the ka, the HY conc and the Y- conc so you rearrange to get the h+ conc and work out the ph.

In the second part you add 0.0005 moles of NaOH. This NaOH will use up some of the acid you originally had so you subtract 0.0005 from the number of moles of acid in the previous question. You are also forming 0.0005 moles more of the salt by adding this NaOH so you add 0.0005 to the 0.0236 moles of Y- that you had before. Once again you have the ka, the conc of HY and the conc of y-, so you just rearrange to get h+ again.

Hope this helps.

Ohhh I get it now, thank yu :smile:
Reply 599
very confused about organic names!
so propanamide can't be written as propanEamide
and aminobutan-1,4-dioic acid is wrong!!! I need to put the "e" in butane and write aminobutane-1,4-dioic acid.......why???
I cant get rid of these minor naming mistakes? Any help as to when to put the E and when not to!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending