The Student Room Group

Do bedrooms at university have locks on them?

I know that single study rooms in halls that are on a corridor obviously can be locked, but see if you're living in a 5-6 people flat with shared kitchen/lounge, does each person have a lock on their bedroom door?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby
I know that single study rooms in halls that are on a corridor obviously can be locked, but see if you're living in a 5-6 people flat with shared kitchen/lounge, does each person have a lock on their bedroom door?

Yep, locks everywhere, don't worry!
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby

Depends on the house. If it's a HMO (e.g. separate contracts for each bedroom) then they will definitely have locks. If you're renting the entire house (e.g. joint tenancy) they might not, it's up to the landlord.
Reply 3
If its university halls, every bedroom has a lock on it, and generally every floor/flat has a lock on it. As such to get in to your room someone would need to get through two separate locks.

Student houses are a different beast, and your mileage may vary. Most have locks, some don't.
Okay cheers guys, just something I've always wondered. :biggrin:
If it's halls, then regardless of the layout of the buildings or rooms you will always have locks on the doors. If it's private accommodation it probably wouldn't have locks on it, even if it's accommodation specifically for students.

If you find out you have no lock on your door and people keep going into your room without knocking, here's a tip:

- Move your desk near the door
- Every time you want to lock the door, slide the desk under the handle of the door
- pile up books so that they go high enough up so the handle can't be twisted down
- :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Dragonfly07

- Every time you want to lock the door, slide the desk under the handle of the door
- pile up books so that they go high enough up so the handle can't be twisted down

...when it's someone you want to let in you must look super normal.

"Don't mind me just moving some furniture!"
Reply 7
Yes they do, I got all paranoid and emailed my university a while ago to check and they pretty much said there are locks everywhere and its standard for all uni registered halls.
Reply 8
In private rents, I haven't had one. Our last landlord/ estate agent actually removed the doors, and replaced them with fire-proof ones (like you get in schools), and then took out the locks. This was necessary to comply with their health and safety regulations.

Annoying, as I once had a housemate's drunk friend wander into my room in the middle of the night looking for the living room.

Good when you're trying to open the door with your hands full as you just push/ lean on it- no handles!
Yeah, if it's halls, there will be a lock on each door, and probably more locks before that. At the halls I stayed in last year, to go from outside to your room, there were four locks to open and from visiting friends in other halls/other unis, it seems that that level of security is quite common :smile:
Original post by Dragonfly07
If it's halls, then regardless of the layout of the buildings or rooms you will always have locks on the doors. If it's private accommodation it probably wouldn't have locks on it, even if it's accommodation specifically for students.

If you find out you have no lock on your door and people keep going into your room without knocking, here's a tip:

Pfft, just make a sign that says "**** OFF" on one side, and "Come on in!" on the other side.
What about UNITE accommodation? Do they have bedroom locks?
Original post by Norton1
...when it's someone you want to let in you must look super normal.

"Don't mind me just moving some furniture!"

If you get to the point where you have to resort to that then the people surrounding you are probably not normal either (as in my case).

Original post by Hello Laura!
I'd imagine the main advantage of locking the door is so your stuff didn't get stolen when you're out. You could easily put a lock on the inside...

I can't believe I haven't thought of that. I have no solution to this.
FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP, don't come in, it's locked, fapfafapfapfapfapfapfap
Thankfully, or many risky ****s would have been had.
Reply 15
In halls yes, In private not usually as it's just a converted family home.
Original post by Hello Laura!
I'd imagine the main advantage of locking the door is so your stuff didn't get stolen when you're out. You could easily put a lock on the inside...

No, the main advantage is that people can't walk in on you masturbating.
So why is it okay for me to lock the door when I'm in my room in a shared house but nt when I'm at home with my family? Which group of people have I actually chosen to live with?
He's right. You won't need an alarm clock, you'll be getting viciously fisted too often to ever sleep
Reply 19
Looooooool at the above comment

Anyways they should do....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending