The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecosse_14
Don't worry about that, it is expected some people may have a couple similar sentences. It's only if masses of your PS are the same that it will cause concern and will be looked into. You won't have any problems if you just write your own PS :smile:

ohhok, so its only if a whole paragraph looks copied? phew :smile:

although, knowing my luck... :P
I was going to apply for a biochemistry degree for 2013 entry, but I recently ( about 2 months ago) changed my mind and I'm hoping to do a Foundation year and then go on to do Mechanical Engineering. Problem is, I have no work experience that even remotely relates to Mechanical engineering, nor have I read any books on it. Most of what I've done is just researching my interests in it, but that only equates to like a paragraph at most on my statement. Is this going to be a problem with admissions tutors that I have no experience in the subject, or will they understand that as a foundation applicant I'm probably not going to have much experience?
Also, I've done some interesting projects and stuff that are geared more towards biology then anything else, would it be worth a mention if I can draw out the transferable skills I've learnt from it, or would they not be too interested in that?

Thanks.
Original post by megfashion
ohhok, so its only if a whole paragraph looks copied? phew :smile:

although, knowing my luck... :P

Not necessarily a whole paragraph, but the point is that unless you do actually copy something, it won't flag up as plagiarism so don't worry about it :smile:

Original post by HeavyTeddy
I was going to apply for a biochemistry degree for 2013 entry, but I recently ( about 2 months ago) changed my mind and I'm hoping to do a Foundation year and then go on to do Mechanical Engineering. Problem is, I have no work experience that even remotely relates to Mechanical engineering, nor have I read any books on it. Most of what I've done is just researching my interests in it, but that only equates to like a paragraph at most on my statement. Is this going to be a problem with admissions tutors that I have no experience in the subject, or will they understand that as a foundation applicant I'm probably not going to have much experience?
Also, I've done some interesting projects and stuff that are geared more towards biology then anything else, would it be worth a mention if I can draw out the transferable skills I've learnt from it, or would they not be too interested in that?

Thanks.

You don't need to discuss work experience, many people don't have any even if it isn't a foundation degree. Try and expand on the paragraph you have about your interests in it. Why are you interested in mechanical engineering? What particular aspects of it are you interested in and why? You also have time to do some reading on the subject as the deadline isn't for ages so you could do that and mention it in your PS. Here's a helpful guide to writing your PS. If the projects aren't related to mechanical engineering in any way then it may be a bit odd to mention it, but start with the above advice and see how far that gets you. Good luck! :smile:
Hey there, someone advised to post in here. Any advice on writing a PPE personal statement which would also work as a straight Economics PS. At the moment, I have a polish Economics one, and a rough draft on the PPE. I'm worried by generalising, I could get rejected by all the universities I hope to apply for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by WayneCorp
Hey there, someone advised to post in here. Any advice on writing a PPE personal statement which would also work as a straight Economics PS. At the moment, I have a polish Economics one, and a rough draft on the PPE. I'm worried by generalising, I could get rejected by all the universities I hope to apply for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In short, you can't . If you don't mention all 3, the PPE unis will question your dedication, and if you do mention all 3, the economics uni will wonder why you are mentioning 2 other subjects and so also question your dedication
Original post by *Interrobang*
In short, you can't . If you don't mention all 3, the PPE unis will question your dedication, and if you do mention all 3, the economics uni will wonder why you are mentioning 2 other subjects and so also question your dedication

That's not strictly true; a lot of people talk only about Economics and Politics in their PPE statement and still get offers from Oxford and the likes.

I'm really struggling on what to actually do. I mean the PPE course would be more interesting to me, but I would rather study straight Economics at a slightly-lesser university (like Nottingham).
Original post by WayneCorp
That's not strictly true; a lot of people talk only about Economics and Politics in their PPE statement and still get offers from Oxford and the likes.

I'm really struggling on what to actually do. I mean the PPE course would be more interesting to me, but I would rather study straight Economics at a slightly-lesser university (like Nottingham).

is it possible to apply for all PPE universities, then if you don't like it, do a straight economics degree? i know the unis that i have talked to have been ok with the fact that i might go into a single degree instead of joint, it might be the same?
should i include the title for my extended essay (problem is it takes up 136 characters and 2 lines)? if not how do i address it?
Original post by tooambitious
should i include the title for my extended essay (problem is it takes up 136 characters and 2 lines)? if not how do i address it?

Can you not just speak about the relevant subject area? Like my title is quite long (not that long), but I just talked about my project being about relativity.
Reply 169
For a maths personal statement, would it be worth mentioning how my further maths class was small (3 people) and possibly mention how it relates to supervision style teaching at uni?

Also, is it essential to 'waste' a line after each paragraph?
Original post by CD315
For a maths personal statement, would it be worth mentioning how my further maths class was small (3 people) and possibly mention how it relates to supervision style teaching at uni?

Don't know about your first question (although do all universities have suervision style?)

second question: Not everyone does, ut it does make it easier to read
Reply 171
Original post by CD315

No, this isn't relevant. Supervisions/tutorials are only relevant to Oxbridge, and for Cambridge at least you get to tell them your class sizes elsewhere in the application.
Original post by CD315

Read my profile to see why it isn't a waste.
Reply 173
Original post by Melz0r
No, this isn't relevant. Supervisions/tutorials are only relevant to Oxbridge, and for Cambridge at least you get to tell them your class sizes elsewhere in the application.

The majority of places I've looked at do it at least some times, but would it definitely not be worth mentioning? Just thought it would be something useful to write in the PS (I'm lacking :tongue:)

Thanks for the feedback!
Original post by CD315
but would it definitely not be worth mentioning?

No, don't do that. It would demonstrate that you are struggling for something useful to say in support of your application.
Reply 175
Original post by Good bloke
No, don't do that. It would demonstrate that you are struggling for something useful to say in support of your application.

No worries, cheers.
Reply 176
Original post by CD315
The majority of places I've looked at do it at least some times, but would it definitely not be worth mentioning? Just thought it would be something useful to write in the PS (I'm lacking :tongue:)

Thanks for the feedback!

No, I don't think it's worth mentioning even so because it doesn't show anything about what makes you good as an applicant - just that you've had good school circumstances.
Reply 177
Original post by Melz0r
No, I don't think it's worth mentioning even so because it doesn't show anything about what makes you good as an applicant - just that you've had good school circumstances.

Are we not allowed to submit second drafts onto personal statement help?
Original post by the.cookie.monster
Are we not allowed to submit second drafts onto personal statement help?

You are allowed to, but our resources are limited and we can't promise to look at more than one draft per person. If you do submit a second draft, please post it as a reply to your original thread in PS Help, not as a new thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending