The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazza ma razza
does JM have gas cookers?

yh
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Proof of confirmation from your first‐choice university that any access arrangements required have been approved by them.
Who is going for the welcome program this year? I'm interested 😃
Original post by Gome44
yh

Cheers for confirming
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
The "quiet"-box is bothering me really much. I am the most sociable person but very often, my studying times begin at midnight so I'd need some silence in my area... Does anyone know what it means/results in in particular?

I would suggest saying so on your form - there's a box for you to write your thoughts. I always try to put people with similar bedtimes together, so one person isn't keeping the other awake.
Original post by Paraphilos
This is partly true; however, even if you don't party too often it's still possible to live there without too many issues (although I guess it depends on your flatmates too).

Ha ha I finished my first year at Warwick and I've always heard of Rootes being constantly noisy. But I've loads of people ho live there and love it.

Its really up to you and what your personality is like.
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
What are the best and worst things about Cryfield? Is there any special thing that you'd recommend us to do when it comes to Cryfield?

Let me start off with the worst.

Cons:
- Corridors are extremely SMALL! But you'll eventually get used to them.
- It has the smallest rooms on campus. It is also the cheapest so I guess that's good compensation. After a while the size of the room won't be an issue, I eventually got used to it and ended up loving it!
- There are no lifts! So moving in isn't going to be pleasant if you're room isn't on the ground floor!
- Shared bathrooms but again you'll get used to it. Surprisingly I've never had to wait for the shower or the toilet for the entire year!
- You only get half a fridge space and half a freezer space in the kitchen.

Pros:
- As mentioned above its the cheapest accommodation so you save a LOT of money!
- Although we're not en suite we've got sinks in our room which is incredibly useful! I think we're one of the few non en suites who do have them. I know Tocil doesn't.
- We're incredibly close to Central Campus and the SU.
- Following that, although it may not seem important now but we're also close to Rootes grocery store so if you ever run out of groceries its only a couple of minutes away.
- You get two cupboards and a drawer in the kitchen which is a lot compared to the other kitchens.
- We're also very close to Ramphal building, around 5 mins walk. Ramphal Building is one of the common locations for lectures to take place.
- We're also one of the few that have common rooms, so you can meet up with loads of your flatmates and host parties there instead of in kitchens.

As for recommendations, I think the following are stuff that are useful for any accommodation.

Recommendations:
- Get a door stopper! Its the easiest way to make friends on your first day! Having an open door makes you seem inviting and friendly.
- Take the top shelf on the fridge! Getting ones below isn't pleasant because there are so many instances where people's milk has started leaking all over people's food! If you're at the top no one can leak anything on you.
- This may sound dumb but bring at least SOME stuff to make your room feel homely. I think I've done my best in doing that and it made me feel really cosy. I've visited some other bedrooms where no effort was put in and it kinda felt dreary. I know quite a few people who have regretted not putting effort into having a homely vibe in their bedrooms. Remeber that you'll be staying there for at least 30 weeks so making your bedroom feel more like home if you can.
- The wall colours in Cryfield rooms are pretty dull so having a poster or two makes the room feel more vibrant.
- Do not take any drawers or cupboards near the sink or oven or hob! During peak cooking hours it can be so difficult to get to it when others are cooking or washing up.

I've taken some pictures of my room before I left. If you want, I'm more than happy to show you what it looked like.
Does anyone have pics from Redfern?
Original post by stuzlan

I don't think anyone will, sorry. It is because no undergraduates lived there for the 2015/16 academic year, only postgraduate students.
Original post by stuzlan

No pictures, but I have previously lived there. Any particular questions?
I put accommodation in order JM, Sherbourne, Rootes. I really want to go to rootes now, what is the likelihood of me getting it? I was a firm choice student and applied within the accom deadline
Original post by jessie98
I put accommodation in order JM, Sherbourne, Rootes. I really want to go to rootes now, what is the likelihood of me getting it? I was a firm choice student and applied within the accom deadline

You might actually get it! It is quite hard to get an ensuite accommodation, they're always over subscribed. I know a lot of people who had put ensuite as they're first couple of choices then shared and ended up getting shared accommodation last year even though they were firm offer holders and applied before July 31st.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,

I was offered Tocil and I accepted it. I was wondering if any of you know when I'll be getting my room/block number, will it be on the day I move in?
Original post by III-AMIR-III
Hey guys,

I was offered Tocil and I accepted it. I was wondering if any of you know when I'll be getting my room/block number, will it be on the day I move in?

Wow, you're the person I've seen receive an accommodation offer this year, a few friends and I are all still waiting.
Original post by III-AMIR-III
Hey guys,

You'll get that when you move in on the day. Even if you call them in advance they won't tell you.

This is because your room allocation in Tocil is still subject to change due to people possibly requesting to leave or there's an overload of students in the non quiet area and they'd have to move you in the quiet area (or vice versa), etc.
I've applied to Lakeside and still haven't received an offer yet. Do some halls get offered later than others?

Also, can anybody tell me what it's like in Lakeside.
Original post by jambojim97
I've applied to Lakeside and still haven't received an offer yet. Do some halls get offered later than others?

Also, can anybody tell me what it's like in Lakeside.

I've not heard of many people who have received an offer yet. The rest will probably be sent out by the end of this week :smile:

Also, in the past they have sent out offers for a few halls each day, rather than doing them all on one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They tweeted this morning that we'd hear in the next couple of weeks - so much for this week! :frown:
Original post by ryanroks1
They tweeted this morning that we'd hear in the next couple of weeks - so much for this week! :frown:

They didn't? They tweeted:
"New students, don't worry if you haven't received your accommodation information yet. We'll be sending it out soon #Warwick2016"
Original post by acontium
They didn't? They tweeted:
"New students, don't worry if you haven't received your accommodation information yet. We'll be sending it out soon #Warwick2016"

look at the replies - someone tweeted them and they did reply ' You should hear in the next couple of weeks :smile: '

but i dont think the people on that account really know because they knew nothing about the email we got about the week beginning the 5th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending