The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Original post by hslt
You can go into any college, most libraries have keycard locks on and the like, and to be honest there isn't much reason that you'd need to go to another college library. Most of the time you'll get your books from your library, or the UL or subject-specific libraries. You can use other college bars and the like very easily though.

Yup - most colleges (?all) say you need to sign them in, but otherwise no problem. My college even gives you big camp beds for them to use for free.

Weekends are always hectic, particularly saturdays - it's pretty busy all year round, but worst in half terms/summer/hot days.

Okay, thanks! :smile: May I ask which college you're at?
Reply 21
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:woo: someone finally made a thread for cambridge :biggrin:

What's the philosophy course like? (or work for your course i you don't take philosophy)

What is your college like? Can you walk visit other colleges and stuff?

can you change courses after your first year?

for some reason i've forgotten the others :facepalm2:

I don't know what the philosophy course is like, but I know someone that does.

Lyam
xxx

I'm not sure if you'd want to know what my course is like (Law)...

You can indeed change courses after your first year, but it's down to the discretion of your DoS and the DoS in charge of the subject you want to change to. And yes, you can visit other colleges.

Original post by alexsasg
1) Can you go inside other colleges? As in, can you be at college x but use the library at y or something.
2) Can you have friends stay overnight at your college? Me and my friends have a thing where we've decided to visit each other at uni, so I'd like to know if I could have someone stay overnight in my room. :smile:

Thanks! (offer-holder for PPS)

1) You can go inside other colleges but I'm not entirely sure about using libraries. I had to use the Selwyn college library once 'cos there was a book in there that was nowhere else but I had to get a Selwyn student to let me in. In my college, there are locks on the library doors so that only our students can get in. However, it may be different in other colleges.

2) Yes, you can. You technically have to let the porters know but I've had a few friends over without the porters knowing. Some colleges may be strict about it, though.

Original post by MrMorris
What are the tourists like? On the university open day it was absolutely swamped with tourists, but does it settle down during most of the year?

So bloody annoying. :rant:

They're everywhere dammit.
Original post by zakkaz
I am currently in Year 12, I've visited Cambrige and I really want to go there, my GCSE grades are as follows 1 A* 8 As 2Bs, o I have a chance? Im working really hard it's too early to say what im predicted to get at the end of my A Levels but im working on As at the moment. What are your opinions??

I think this is the wrong thread for that. There's a thread dedicated to grades. I think you can find it, it's pinned at the top of the cambridge sub forum. Continue working hard on your AS :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by maths134
Thank you!, this has really helped. What do you do for the half of the year you are not at Cambridge? Thanks for the LGBT bit etc :smile:

Catch up on all the stuff you should have learnt in term but never quite got round to because you were writing up practicals/doing supervision questions/writing essays/going to bops.....

You are, unfortunately, expected to work in the 'vacations'. My friend did no work in her first Christmas holidays and nearly got Deaned when she got bad marks in her post-Christmas tests. I only had a job in the summer holidays because there was too much to do. That said, I once managed to take out two editions of the same book one holiday and didn't realise until I was packing to go back.
Reply 24
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Catz

I am stunned that I didn't expect this answer.

:congrats:
Reply 25

(asking about tourists...)

So bloody annoying. :rant:

They're everywhere dammit.

I was actually going to ask about tourists. I anticipated it (what are the statistics? 7 million tourists per year, is that right?) which is why I picked Pembroke, because it's just (just) far enough out of the absolute centre to keep the tourists at bay, whilst still being in the middle of everything. :biggrin:

That said, would you be able to tell us about the "college reputations" that applicants might want to know about before we show up (e.g. Trinity/St John's being posh, Caius being traditional, Emma/Homerton being friendly)?
Reply 26
Original post by Arialaxe

I was actually going to ask about tourists. I anticipated it (what are the statistics? 7 million tourists per year, is that right?) which is why I picked Pembroke, because it's just (just) far enough out of the absolute centre to keep the tourists at bay, whilst still being in the middle of everything. :biggrin:

That said, would you be able to tell us about the "college reputations" that applicants might want to know about before we show up (e.g. Trinity/St John's being posh, Caius being traditional, Emma/Homerton being friendly)?

Ooh, I second this. If you could tell me anything about the rep of Magdalene in particular, I'd be indebted to you guys forever :biggrin:
Reply 27

Ooh, I second this. If you could tell me anything about the rep of Magdalene in particular, I'd be indebted to you guys forever :biggrin:

Trinity/John's= Pretentious pricks. I've got really good friends at these colleges but some of my friends from my college have actually found the stereotype to be true when they've encountered people from those colleges.

King's= Really politically active and left-wing. 'Tis true.
Peterhouse= Conservative bunch of homosexuals apparently.
Sidney Sussex= The 'Sainsbury's' college
Magdalene= Very traditional.
Girl's colleges= Feminist bunch of lesbian sluts. Not entirely true, though I have met many a girl that lives up to aspects of the stereotype.
St Catharine's= AWESOME. And super duper friendly.
Girton= Erm...where? :s-smilie:
Homerton= See above. But also quite friendly.
Selwyn= The 'Sidgwick' college as it's closest to the Sidgwick site.
Downing= The lawyer's college due to the vast amount of Law students there!

Not really sure about reputations of the other colleges tbh...
On Tourists: they even swamp magdalene. I think I'd want to die if I was at kings or something.

doughnuts!!

being helpful still counts as procrastination :colonhash:
Anyone know much about Christ's College?

I'm not sure what college i'd like to apply to yet :tongue:
Reply 30
Trinity/John's= Pretentious pricks. I've got really good friends at these colleges but some of my friends from my college have actually found the stereotype to be true when they've encountered people from those colleges.

Girl's colleges= Feminist bunch of lesbian sluts. Not entirely true, though I have met many a girl that lives up to aspects of the stereotype.

Thanks for answering that! I can't rep you, but I'll give you mental rep (BUZZ) there you go.

I've seen people shy from that question. You don't happen to go to Catz or something, do you? :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by TimmonaPortella

:colondollar:

I have done a bit of work today?

Who am I kidding, I need to stop avoiding this work right now! :frown:

Anyone know much about Christ's College?

I'm not sure what college i'd like to apply to yet :tongue:

Forget all other colleges and just apply to St Catharine's. :yep:

Thanks for answering that! I can't rep you, but I'll give you mental rep (BUZZ) there you go.

I've seen people shy from that question. You don't happen to go to Catz or something, do you? :biggrin:

Erm...of course not!

:tongue:
Reply 32

On Tourists: they even swamp magdalene. I think I'd want to die if I was at kings or something.

THEY SWAMP EVEN MAGDALENE? Gah. I'm guessing you're a current Magdalene student?

Forget all other colleges and just apply to St Catharine's. :yep:

:smile: what makes it amazing ? :awesome:

I almost freaked out when I thought they didn't offer philosophy :lol2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Which colleges have cats?

Which colleges have the most cats?

Of the colleges that have cats, which are the cutest?

Of the colleges that have cats, which are the friendliest?

How prominent a role do the college cats play in the lives of Cambridge undergraduates?

To what extent would you argue that the college cats are the single most important influence in the personal support of the Cambridge undergraduates?

(Edit: I should add this disclaimer, for any miserable TSR cat-haters, that I do not expect these questions to be answered...)

Clare had a cat. Before it was cat-napped by tit-hall and thrown over Clare bridge when a ransom failed to appear. Currently Christ's has a cat I think. AFAIK no other college has a cat.

Christ's cat is the cutest... given that it's the only cat.

As per above, Christ's cat the friendliest.

The lives of college cats gets mentioned (and made into legend)

College cats are not *the* most important influence of personal support, but they are one.
THEY SWAMP EVEN MAGDALENE? Gah. I'm guessing you're a current Magdalene student?

Yep, first year lawyer :smile:

edit: I use "swamp" loosely, to be fair. Although I've not been there in the summer months.

:colondollar:

I have done a bit of work today?

Who am I kidding, I need to stop avoiding this work right now! :frown:

lol you're not alone man. I randomly gave myself a day off yesterday, and haven't done anything today :tongue:

Well, I've done some. I'm counting the responses I gave to people on the law help forum as work :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)

YOU ****!

Folks, I am also taking questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
:smile: what makes it amazing ? :awesome:

Me. :yep:

Seriously though, it's just so friendly and brilliant! It's quite small-ish and not grand in an overblown way, but there are quite a few of us squashed into the site so you're forced to have a kind of family like community where everybody knows each other and all the years mingle together. This makes the vibe in college really positive and cheery.

CHOOSE CATZ!

Original post by ukdragon37
Clare had a cat. Before it was cat-napped by tit-hall and thrown over Clare bridge when a ransom failed to appear. Currently Christ's has a cat I think. AFAIK no other college has a cat.

College cats are not *the* most important influence of personal support, but they are one.

I'm disappointed...I thought that you knew everything! I may be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that Pembroke has one and I've seen one several times in Selwyn.
Original post by ukdragon37

...Really? But we seem so friendly.
Original post by Cast.Iron
YOU ****!

Folks, I am also taking questions.

lol what do you know about cambridge? your college is a three-transfer train journey away from it :colonhash:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending