Scroll to see replies

032%u00252520-%2520Uluru%2520at%2520Sunrise.jpg
Reply 3341
DSCF0763.jpg

I take pictures when I can. :biggrin:

Up the garden path by Suzie Smith, on Flickr

Whitney music shop by Suzie Smith, on Flickr

Flowers by Suzie Smith, on Flickr

A few shots from my latest developed roll of film.
garypowers; I like the blue hue to those photos, I think they'd lose something if you did the WB.
noticed frogspawn in my pond for the first time this year:

spawn by refrigerate, on Flickr
All done with a P&S, I'm hopefully getting my first SLR tomorrow! (No, wait, today!) Criticism, rather that negative ratings, is much more preferable.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Probably the one I like most:

Spoiler

And finally

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Suzanathema

Up the garden path by Suzie Smith, on Flickr

Whitney music shop by Suzie Smith, on Flickr

Flowers by Suzie Smith, on Flickr

A few shots from my latest developed roll of film.

May I ask what camera you have?
I don't understand how pictures like the third one you posted are taken :frown:
Original post by Oromis263
All done with a P&S, I'm hopefully getting my first SLR tomorrow! (No, wait, today!) Criticism, rather that negative ratings, is much more preferable.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Probably the one I like most:

Spoiler

And finally

Spoiler

Best time for night photography is the twilight zone, from sunset till about 45 minutes after. After that the sky can be very dirty
Original post by Miss Mary

I took these on a film camera - a Nikon F50. You can pick one up on ebay for about £50 to £100.

The effect on the third one (and a bit on all of them really) is from having a really wide aperture. I used a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens (again, available on ebay). The wider the aperture (the smaller the number, so 1.8 is really wide) the more bokeh (out of focus area) you have in the background. It's easy really :smile:

Film's awesome too because you have to wait while it gets developed and you never know how it'll come out. I used fuji film for the first time (usually a kodak fan) and the colours came out so much brighter than I was expecting, which was really nice.

I recommend shooting film to everyone, especially with a lush camera like the Nikon F50...
Original post by Miss Mary

Basically what Suzanathema said, wider aperture >f./2.0 works for decent background blur (bokeh).

2012.03.01 by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr

2012.03.01 by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr
(edited 12 years ago)
I recommend shooting film to everyone, especially with a lush camera like the Nikon F50...

I'm aware this is a heated subject at times so I'm not wanting to start an argument, but why? :tongue:
it's more expensive, difficult to experiment and learn because by the time it comes back most people can't remember the settings they used, if the camera isn't working you don't know until you get the film back, you have to wait for the photos instead of seeing and sharing them straight away, and the vast majority of labs convert to a digital image before printing on a digital printer anyway.:s-smilie:
I've only had one film camera in my life but I couldn't see myself ever going back.

Miss Mary, you need (as suzanathema said) a lens that has a wide maximum aperture. You're looking for a small number.
If you're working with a compact camera you may still be able to do it. Have a hunt around the menus and see what options you have. On the front of the lens it should tell you the maximum aperture (I believe most are around 3 which could still give you the effect you're after depending on the placement of your subject in relation to your lens).
Otherwise, you could play around with close up photography as most compact cameras give you great bokeh in macro mode. :smile:
IMAG0153.jpg

Taken in Hyde Park.

Film's awesome too because you have to wait while it gets developed and you never know how it'll come out. I used fuji film for the first time (usually a kodak fan) and the colours came out so much brighter than I was expecting, which was really nice.

I can't see how that makes film awesome.
Just a waste of time and money from the way you describe it.

I used to photograph all in film and that's what I was using when I was studying photography, but there's a reason why digital is the dominate format.
Original post by death.drop
I'm aware this is a heated subject at times so I'm not wanting to start an argument, but why? :tongue:
it's more expensive, difficult to experiment and learn because by the time it comes back most people can't remember the settings they used, if the camera isn't working you don't know until you get the film back, you have to wait for the photos instead of seeing and sharing them straight away, and the vast majority of labs convert to a digital image before printing on a digital printer anyway.:s-smilie:
I've only had one film camera in my life but I couldn't see myself ever going back.

Eh, I just don't value digital as much. I know digital is the future, and I do have a DSLR, but I don't attach the same value to an image that only exists on a screen to something that was actually created in film and I can look at in my hands.

Plus I like some of the uncertainty. I recently bought an old Zenit full manual SLR from the 1980s and not knowing if a picture is going to come out **** or not makes it more exciting, I think :p:
taken with canon 40d with 10-22mm.

These are some of my favs, im on my third photobucket account now lol:eek::eek:
Eh, I just don't value digital as much. I know digital is the future, and I do have a DSLR, but I don't attach the same value to an image that only exists on a screen to something that was actually created in film and I can look at in my hands.

Plus I like some of the uncertainty. I recently bought an old Zenit full manual SLR from the 1980s and not knowing if a picture is going to come out **** or not makes it more exciting, I think :p:

You realise you can print them out, yes?
Original post by TheSownRose
You realise you can print them out, yes?

Yeah, but what's the point?

I just finished quite a huge digital project where I would take something like 10 shots for every 1 I used and honestly, I don't find any value in the digital images when I would look at them, decide I wasn't happy, and discard them so easily. I've started to view them as disposable/repeatable.

With film every shot is valuable because film and processing costs money. You really think about each shot you set up and the entire process gets more literal and emotional worth.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely shoot digital for something important, the feedback you get instantly is valuable in a one-chance-only situation, but for just pissing around with a camera or for taking hobby/touristy shots, nothing beats film in my opinion...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending