The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarshmallowTea
Oo really? I haven't received anything from Glasgow since the offer email!! :frown: Maybe I just have to be more patient, haha.

it was only dated either the 3rd of april so its probably on its way!
Original post by atomos
it was only dated either the 3rd of april so its probably on its way!

Lol, Thanks! I actually just received it in the post a few minutes ago :smile: I just applied for accommodation, so I hope I will get put with friendly people, haha :smile:
Lol, Thanks! I actually just received it in the post a few minutes ago :smile: I just applied for accommodation, so I hope I will get put with friendly people, haha :smile:

I just received it too and there is so much stuff to fill in:frown:
Just applied to accommodation to where did you apply?
Original post by Ju_Dragonslayer
I just received it too and there is so much stuff to fill in:frown:
Just applied to accommodation to where did you apply?

I know! Even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those listed conditions, I'm gonna still be nervous about the tests anyways, hahaha.

I'm a graduate, so I put down mainly postgrad halls. I hope I get the Maclay residence! I put down the Kelvinhaughs, Lister House an Winton Drive too. Pretty much all the options that aren't premium ensuite as they're too expensive for me - especially with the fees hike!! How about you? :biggrin:
umm... what if I still haven't received any response from Glasgow... :confused:
Does that mean I'm on the reject list?! or I'm just forgotten ...:s-smilie:
Reply 2505
Original post by Joyce_cats
umm... what if I still haven't received any response from Glasgow... :confused:
Does that mean I'm on the reject list?! or I'm just forgotten ...:s-smilie:

Phone them up! Double check your emails and Ucas track just incase you missed it (perhaps it went into your junk email?)

It doesn't necessarily mean that you're rejected, everyone's is supposed to have heard back by now so there must have been some clerical error. It could just as likely be an offer that they forgot to send :smile:
Reply 2506
I know! Even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any of those listed conditions, I'm gonna still be nervous about the tests anyways, hahaha.

I'm a graduate, so I put down mainly postgrad halls. I hope I get the Maclay residence! I put down the Kelvinhaughs, Lister House an Winton Drive too. Pretty much all the options that aren't premium ensuite as they're too expensive for me - especially with the fees hike!! How about you? :biggrin:

Hey, I'm a graduate too and spoke to the accomodation office about applying for postgrad halls - they said no!
What they said was I could only apply for undergrad halls or my application would be returned. They will place you with a mix of students who best suit your circumstances - I.e. at 27 I won't be placed with 17/18 year olds, instead they will place me with matures or grads (doing 2nd degree) - better phone them and check on your application so you get your 1st choice!
Original post by gh70
Hey, I'm a graduate too and spoke to the accomodation office about applying for postgrad halls - they said no!
What they said was I could only apply for undergrad halls or my application would be returned. They will place you with a mix of students who best suit your circumstances - I.e. at 27 I won't be placed with 17/18 year olds, instead they will place me with matures or grads (doing 2nd degree) - better phone them and check on your application so you get your 1st choice!

Oh no I already sent it off! I didn't know they'd be that picky about which halls we chose! I wonder if they'll let me re-select my halls or if they're just going to give me a random one...I guess I'll have to give them a call!! The system still hasn't notified me about it yet though.....Thanks for the heads up, I'd better look into UG halls (I spent like a week deciding which PG halls to choose - but at least I might see more of you guys around halls now)! :biggrin:
Original post by KCosmo
Phone them up! Double check your emails and Ucas track just incase you missed it (perhaps it went into your junk email?)

It doesn't necessarily mean that you're rejected, everyone's is supposed to have heard back by now so there must have been some clerical error. It could just as likely be an offer that they forgot to send :smile:

haha youre right! :tongue: Thanks! :smile: hope that there Is an error :biggrin:
...but I gotta wait 'til 10th to find out ...forgot they're having Easter holiday :tongue:
BTW how's your application?
Original post by gh70

Ach, I forgot about the Easter Hols! I just tried calling them up but I guess they're away on the break....:-( Which halls did you put down btw, if you don't mind me asking? I guess I'll have to give them a call next week - I did think about asking before I sent my application off actually, but then thought 'naah, it'll be fiiiiine'. heh. :biggrin: Hope it'll be okay. And fingers crossed for you, Joyce_cats :smile:
I received my offer letter yesterday and uni of glasgow have classed me as 'Rest of the UK' student :eek: and say my fees will be £9000 :confused: I moved to Edinburgh in August 2011 and have been living here since, making it like my permanent home! If I wasn't going to start uni, I would still be living here, because I have left my parents home in England and moved to Scotland last year!

What do you think I should do? Should I write to uni explaining my situation? Why have they not classed me as Scottish Domicile Student? My UCAS application clearly said I was living in Scotland and my bank account and everything is in Scotland!!

The problem is I'm already a graduate and so won't get student loans for tuition fee (even though I didn't take any student loans for my previous degree!!) :frown: I won't be able to start medicine if I don't get classed as Scottish domicile student or get the student loan for tuition fees! I worked so hard to get into medicine and now this happens!! :frown:
Original post by xxsweetiepiexx
I moved to Edinburgh in August 2011 and have been living here since, making it like my permanent home!

Get in touch with SAAS as soon as possible to explain your circumstances. The exact wording of who constitutes a Scottish resident is actually quite ambiguous, but suffice to say, those who move to Scotland and make it their permanent residence immediately prior to an application to UCAS might be classed as opportunistic.

I am sympathetic to your plight, really, I am. Give SAAS a polite email asking for further information.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date, unless you are an English, Northern Irish or Welsh domiciled student taking a degree course in one of the Allied Health Professions. In this case, you must be ordinarily resident in your home country at the time you apply for your first years support.

Ordinarily resident has been defined in the courts as 'habitual and normal residence in one place'. It basically means that you, your parents or your husband, wife or civil partner live in a country year after year by choice throughout a set period, apart from temporary or occasional absences such as holidays or business trips. Living here totally or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education does not count as being ordinarily resident.

We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.
I received my offer letter yesterday and uni of glasgow have classed me as 'Rest of the UK' student :eek: and say my fees will be £9000 :confused: I moved to Edinburgh in August 2011 and have been living here since, making it like my permanent home! If I wasn't going to start uni, I would still be living here, because I have left my parents home in England and moved to Scotland last year!

What do you think I should do? Should I write to uni explaining my situation? Why have they not classed me as Scottish Domicile Student? My UCAS application clearly said I was living in Scotland and my bank account and everything is in Scotland!!

The problem is I'm already a graduate and so won't get student loans for tuition fee (even though I didn't take any student loans for my previous degree!!) :frown: I won't be able to start medicine if I don't get classed as Scottish domicile student or get the student loan for tuition fees! I worked so hard to get into medicine and now this happens!! :frown:

think this explains that you need to be living in Scotland for 3 years prior to study (from saas)

To meet our residence conditions you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of your course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date, unless you are an English, a Northern Irish or a Welsh domiciled student taking a degree course in one of the Allied Health Professions. In this case, you must be ordinarily resident in your home country at the time you apply for your first year's support. If you are studying a nursing degree, see the nursing section for details.

(edited 12 years ago)

From what I'm aware, you have to have been living in Scotland for three years or have to have studied in scotland for three years.
Original post by Caponester

We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

How would they know though? I know several families who moved to Scotland just before their childrens GCSES, in order to be classified as a Scottish resident :/ anyone could lie and say their parents job, or change of environment etc
Original post by AishaTara
From what I'm aware, you have to have been living in Scotland for three years or have to have studied in scotland for three years.

Yes, I agree with this - it would be the same rule if you were applying for uni in England, so I think it would make sense that Scotland may have a similar rule...I do hope you are able to sort it out though, perhaps if you explain your situation Glasgow might be able to help you out...never know! When my step brother did his first degree, it was a mere £1000.....ah, the good ol' days!!

Yeah I went for one of the cheapest too-Murano because I'm an undergrad but the accomodation is still much cheaper than some of the English uni's I applied to. What are the postgrad halls like?
Reply 2517
Finally firmed Glasgow. What now...
Reply 2518
Ach, I forgot about the Easter Hols! I just tried calling them up but I guess they're away on the break....:-( Which halls did you put down btw, if you don't mind me asking? I guess I'll have to give them a call next week - I did think about asking before I sent my application off actually, but then thought 'naah, it'll be fiiiiine'. heh. :biggrin: Hope it'll be okay. And fingers crossed for you, Joyce_cats :smile:

I applied for qm as 1st choice and then a selection of student appt and cairncross as my back ups!
DON'T CHOOSE WOLFSON! It's hell on earth lol!
Original post by Braddd
Finally firmed Glasgow. What now...

Sit back, Chill, wait for your letters, fill them in send them off.
Apply for finance
Apply for Halls, make the choice as to whether you're gonna go for the Uni halls or the Unite halls.
The Unite one's currently have a deal on "Kelvin Court" for 99 pound per week which is the same price as murano but they're closer and you get en suite.
Just look around see what you fancy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending