The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alj123
Thanks, apology accepted. And yes, i do agree with your post. Language is needed all throughout life, but finding the volume of a cube isn't as necessary :smile: I think that English is easier than Maths but that's because English is my strength :smile:

:smile: Buddies.
sciences brought us the light bulb, the microwave, the internal combustion engine, the pyramids, architecture, paper, instruments, the internet, the plane.

Arts provide entertainment for the end of the day when the productive work is done.

I personally, never read fiction and don't watch much television or many films - I could relatively happily live without arts. But I'm sure none of you artists can say the same about the wheel.

Regardless of which is harder, it is clear what has had the most beneficial impact on the continues survival and welfare of the human race.
Oh Lord what have I just read...

You said Literature is harder because it can be interpreted in different way, yes of course you can, and that would potential go against your argument as well, since anyone can interpret a piece of composition, and you cannot really prove them wrong since it can be interpreted in many ways, so anyone can do literature? The only way that makes the grade differential is due to the bias of the examiners, one particularly enjoy this style of interpretation so they gave higher marks and another one enjoy less so less mark, for the same piece of work. But not everyone can do Maths and Sciences, it requires absolute accuracy and capability of understanding the fundamental knowledge and concepts, I don't believe memorizing equations or formulas will help you much especially at A level Maths and Further Maths, and other sciences.
I am not saying Maths and Sciences are definitely harder, and I know some people's mind are better suited for Maths and sciences than essay based subjects (e.g. me A* in 2 months for Maths, but B in English after working 20 times harder. I memorized a piece of essay and went lucky during the exam because the title was similar, otherwise I will be screwed) But your argument is fundamentally flawed at the first place.
Anyone who says science doesn't involve raw talent has never heard of Richard Feynman.
Original post by brownieboy
Maths and Science subjects are much more harder than english language, for many reasons. Intersting thread but im sorry but you have tryed to blag this but you have failed with your niavity and friendly bull****.

Most people who study english lang/lit, struggle/hate both science and maths subjects.

Yeah its harder then English language but not English Literature it depends on the student taking the subject. Some people are brilliant at Maths and Science but **** stink at Literature whilst others ace literature but cant do maths to save their life its all down to the individual. Clearly English Language wasn't your strong point considering you misspelt Naivety and interesting as well as tried...

Its all down to the student neither subject is harder then the other. Unbiased point of view here i find Sciences and Literature equally tough. They require different things though.
Original post by johnharris19944
Yeah its harder then English language but not English Literature it depends on the student taking the subject. Some people are brilliant at Maths and Science but **** stink at Literature whilst others ace literature but cant do maths to save their life its all down to the individual. Clearly English Language wasn't your strong point considering you misspelt Naivety and interesting as well as tried...

Its all down to the student neither subject is harder then the other. Unbiased point of view here i find Sciences and Literature equally tough. They require different things though.

Noo

I got 2 Cs at English LAN and literature not because I found them hard ! I found them borin and dull! I could try If I really wanted to.
The point is, ppl who is good at science have the ability to do anything. If they really wanted to, this does not apply for some literature student.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by xiyangliu
Noo

I got 2 Cs at English LAN and literature not because I found them hard ! I found them borin and dull! I could try If I really wanted to.
The point is, ppl who is good at science have the ability to do anything. If they really wanted to, this does not apply for some literature student.

What proof of this do you have that someone who is good at science can do anything ? Same could be said if you reverse the two subjects.
Look at what scientists are doing !! Pushing the society forward !! Look at what writers are doing .. Writing books to make money. scientist look into eyes of god everyday! With a physics degree, travel anywhere in the universe you will be fine, u can even use the concept of "Golden ratio" to communicate with aliens !!

What proof of this do you have that someone who is good at science can do anything ? Same could be said if you reverse the two subjects.

Try to pick up some basic physics in 1 year. I am not English but I picked up English lan and literature in 1 year while I was doing my AS.

I think memory still plays a part in English Lit exams. I memorised close to a hundred quotes and passages from King Lear, Wordsworth and Coleridge for my A2 exam, which meant that I had a lot of solid examples to choose from when I answered the questions and I was able to write properly without worrying about tailoring my answer to fit a few select quotes. Of course I still had to string answers together and write coherently but I won't deny that having a good memory helped me enormously in that exam. I think you've got to take risks and be original to get an A* in English Lit as your answer has to be unique or show evidence of independent thought. I didn't do science subjects so I can't comment on how difficult they are but I'd imagine that there are different skills involved. I can't believe that you'd be able to get over 90% in any subject without a solid understanding of what you have studied; surely rote learning in science would only get you so far?
Original post by xiyangliu
Try to pick up some basic physics in 1 year. I am not English but I picked up English lan and literature in 1 year while I was doing my AS.

Clearly not to a very high level. Picked up Physics easily and same with Chemistry, found History easy but struggled like mad with English lit like others have said its all down to yourself and how good you are at such said subject.

There is a reason why employers like to hire people with a science degree or maths. Physics is not just abt finding facts, its the way you think. Any science graduate solved thousands of problems and that is why their skill is highly valued.

Original post by Jim_Metrin
Clearly not to a very high level. Picked up Physics easily and same with Chemistry, found History easy but struggled like mad with English lit like others have said its all down to yourself and how good you are at such said subject.

the point is its easier for people like me to pick up English LAN or literature rather than a language student try to pick up physics or maths ok? And Stop judging on my English.. One year 2 Cs in english is good enough.

Reply 213
Isnt it all down to the individual doing the subject?!? I find Chemistry and Biology very easy but i sucked big time at English and therefore had to drop it, struggling with history now much more then any other subject but it doesnt mean since i find it hard its the hardest, its all different.
Did u guys knw apparently statistically speaking biology is the hardest A level ....

Original post by Username_valid
Disagree. Try doing physics, you could read through everything and memorise everything but if you don't understand what you're reading and can't interpret and apply what you've learnt, then you'll most definitely struggle.

This = /thread
You can write a load of rubbish in english and it might still be seen as "interpreting the text in many different ways". Try doing that in science. You probably havent sat a science A-Level exam thats why youre making stupid comments like this.
Hell No.

-Someone who got 100% in English
Holy ****.
Well judging by the 160 negs to the OP, you're wrong.
Who is the smartest guy on earth. Probably Stephen hawking. He has an iq of 200 to 250. And guess what, he is a scientist. Professor hawking has the same title as Sir Isaac Newton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending