The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

The Univerisity of Sunderland Group.

Hello All!!

I decided that since the university doesn't have its own section that it atleast needed a group!

Hopefully this will be the place for people to come to ask questions about the uni, talk to people who have attended or currently attend the uni and find other people who are interested in coming to the university!!

I myself am a current foundation degree student in my 2nd year going on to do my top-up year next year and I am also a Student Ambassador! So feel free to ask me questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

And if you are a past or present Sunderland student please help to pass on what you know and love about the University!

xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!! I am thinking about going to Sunderland Uni. I have the best offer from this Univeveristy, so I believe I will be there in the end of the summer holiday ;] I want to ask you one question. How much money do you spent for accommodation, food, activities and so on.. ;]
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Original post by Arass
Hi!! I am thinking about going to Sunderland Uni. I have the best offer from this Univeveristy, so I believe I will be there in the end of the summer holiday ;] I want to ask you one question. How much money do you spent for accommodation, food, activities and so on.. ;]

Hello :smile: Have you been to visit the Uni? If not it would be worth a visit, the next open day is Wednesday 8th June, at the open day you'd be able to go on a tour of the halls (although due to how busy it gets you can only do one of the two different tours)

I actually live at home as I don't live that far away so I have no personal experience in the halls etc but i'll try to help!

Halls of residence typically cost £185 - £280 per month. Which is very low. The average rent per week in University halls of residence £57.

As for everything else, it really will depend on you.

Food - if your happy to buy own brands then it shouldn't cost you too much, just learn to shop wisely and you'll be fine. e.g. buy large bags of stuff like pasta that lasts ages as bulk buying usually works out cheaper!

Activities, well really it depends what you want to do. Nights out can be very cheap on a monday, which is student night. But it does really depend on what you want to do really and just spend your money wisely and you'll be fine :smile:
Plus you could always get a job if you are worried about money.

If you want I can try to get intouch with some friends who have lived in halls and try and find out some info from them, but I really would suggest you come to an open day!

xx
Reply 3
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
Hello :smile: Have you been to visit the Uni? If not it would be worth a visit, the next open day is Wednesday 8th June, at the open day you'd be able to go on a tour of the halls (although due to how busy it gets you can only do one of the two different tours)

I actually live at home as I don't live that far away so I have no personal experience in the halls etc but i'll try to help!

Halls of residence typically cost £185 - £280 per month. Which is very low. The average rent per week in University halls of residence £57.

As for everything else, it really will depend on you.

Food - if your happy to buy own brands then it shouldn't cost you too much, just learn to shop wisely and you'll be fine. e.g. buy large bags of stuff like pasta that lasts ages as bulk buying usually works out cheaper!

Activities, well really it depends what you want to do. Nights out can be very cheap on a monday, which is student night. But it does really depend on what you want to do really and just spend your money wisely and you'll be fine :smile:
Plus you could always get a job if you are worried about money.

If you want I can try to get intouch with some friends who have lived in halls and try and find out some info from them, but I really would suggest you come to an open day!

xx

I really want o come to an open day. But I can't do that because I'm from Lithuania, so it is quite far away from my country to Sunderland.

Thx a lot for your information. It really makes me happy, because I was worried about getting a job;]

It would be great if you could get in touch with somebody. I read that one student shoud have £800 for a moth, with food activities and accommodation, but I think it is quite big money...:smile:
Original post by Arass
I really want o come to an open day. But I can't do that because I'm from Lithuania, so it is quite far away from my country to Sunderland.

Thx a lot for your information. It really makes me happy, because I was worried about getting a job;]

It would be great if you could get in touch with somebody. I read that one student shoud have £800 for a moth, with food activities and accommodation, but I think it is quite big money...:smile:

Ahh! yeah it might be a bit hard for you to get here lol

No problem, I'm happy to help :smile: Dont worry about getting a job, you could get a job with the uni or work in the local shops or bars if you want to get a job, be aware that the job market isnt that good over here at the moment but you should be able to get a job with the uni still. Even as an ambassador like me!

I have spoken to a friend and he basically said what I said, that its all down to you, you can make it cheap by shopping wisely and not going out too much or spend loads of money going out everynight and not shopping wisely. Social activities range in prices but go from cheap to not so cheap so just pick and choose!

Sorry he couldnt be much more help lol but it really is down to you and how you spend you money!

£800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What?!?!?! Thats loads!! No way you need that much a month!

xx
Reply 5
Hi! I am also thinking of coming to Sunderland next year for a MA in Journalism but not so sure if i'll do it. I also have a nice offer from Cardiff, which is higher-toughted than Sunderland and there are a lot of guys there from my eastern european country.

Now,i know the area preety good as i did a Summer School programme at NCL last year but not so sure about the city of Sunderland. I really enjoyed Newcastle coz i love to go out and it was great there. I know Newcastle is half-hour away but how is Sunderland's nightlife?
I'm the kind of guy that loves to be surrounded by people and have fun. I heard that Sunderland has a lot of International Students but don't really know if the internationality isn't to big. Also, is the campus enviroment proper for a guy like me, or is it more school-focused?
I am also a big sports guy. So i also wonder what the sport facilities level is. I'd like to get in football and tennis teams. I am preety good at both as i went pro back here so my uni should have that kind of opportunities.

Sorry for the long post, i hope it's not too much and thanks in advance. Cheers
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Matt.sen
Hi! I am also thinking of coming to Sunderland next year for a MA in Journalism but not so sure if i'll do it. I also have a nice offer from Cardiff, which is higher-toughted than Sunderland and there are a lot of guys there from my eastern european country.

Now,i know the area preety good as i did a Summer School programme at NCL last year but not so sure about the city of Sunderland. I really enjoyed Newcastle coz i love to go out and it was great there. I know Newcastle is half-hour away but how is Sunderland's nightlife?
I'm the kind of guy that loves to be surrounded by people and have fun. I heard that Sunderland has a lot of International Students but don't really know if the internationality isn't to big. Also, is the campus enviroment proper for a guy like me, or is it more school-focused?
I am also a big sports guy. So i also wonder what the sport facilities level is. I'd like to get in football and tennis teams. I am preety good at both as i went pro back here so my uni should have that kind of opportunities.

Sorry for the long post, i hope it's not too much and thanks in advance. Cheers

Sunderlands night life is fairly good, chances are you'll find something you like. Yes its not quite as big as newcastle but its just as busy!
I think the uni has a good mix of home and international students.
What do you mean by school focused?
The uni has good sports facilities, I personally don't use them as I live at home and can't drive yet so find it hard to get to them but as you would be living in sunderland you could really take advantage of the university and the city's facilities! http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/sunderland/sport/

x
Reply 7
Sunderlands night life is fairly good, chances are you'll find something you like. Yes its not quite as big as newcastle but its just as busy!
I think the uni has a good mix of home and international students.
What do you mean by school focused?
The uni has good sports facilities, I personally don't use them as I live at home and can't drive yet so find it hard to get to them but as you would be living in sunderland you could really take advantage of the university and the city's facilities! http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/sunderland/sport/

x

You're right, wrong structure there. I probably wanted to ask you if usually the Sunderland students are up to doing lots of stuff around the campus, not only talking about school all the time (which i'm not saying would be bad, just trying to get a grip on the type of atmosphere around there as i will definitely stay in the campus wherever i go). I know that that it's not such a smart question given the fact that it's obviously hard to tell, but maybe you have something to share? :-D

Anyway, i appreciate the insights so thanks for this.
xx
(edited 13 years ago)
You're right, wrong structure there. I probably wanted to ask you if usually the Sunderland students are up to doing lots of stuff around the campus, not only talking about school all the time (which i'm not saying would be bad, just trying to get a grip on the type of atmosphere around there as i will definitely stay in the campus wherever i go). I know that that it's not such a smart question given the fact that it's obviously hard to tell, but maybe you have something to share? :-D

Anyway, i appreciate the insights so thanks for this.
xx

Ahh, right lol, well, I have found its actually a good mix of people, you do get some people who work all the time and thats the most important bit for them, then you get the others who are really just looking for a good time! Im sure you'll find people who are in the same mind set as you.
Just wondering... what do you mean by the bit in bold??
xx
Reply 9
Ahh, right lol, well, I have found its actually a good mix of people, you do get some people who work all the time and thats the most important bit for them, then you get the others who are really just looking for a good time! Im sure you'll find people who are in the same mind set as you.
Just wondering... what do you mean by the bit in bold??
xx

I'm trying to say that i'll be living in the campus whatever Uni i'll choose. I mean, going back to last summer's Summer School at NCL, i thought it was great to be right in the middle of things with all the uni buildings around you,etc. and most of all i really enjoyed beeing around the others, sharing an apartment with five other guys/girls, helping eachother out for the school tasks, cooking together, having fun together and so on. I figured that living on my own outside the campus would take away from me a lot of nice things from the experience of beeing a student, it would be like living in my own in a forent country. I know it's more expensive but i'm willing to pay the extra $ for that kind of enviroment.

Oh,btw, i don't want it to sound like i'm a "party girl" who has no interest in school but i just want to do more than just study while i'm up there:smile:
xx
I'm trying to say that i'll be living in the campus whatever Uni i'll choose. I mean, going back to last summer's Summer School at NCL, i thought it was great to be right in the middle of things with all the uni buildings around you,etc. and most of all i really enjoyed beeing around the others, sharing an apartment with five other guys/girls, helping eachother out for the school tasks, cooking together, having fun together and so on. I figured that living on my own outside the campus would take away from me a lot of nice things from the experience of beeing a student, it would be like living in my own in a forent country. I know it's more expensive but i'm willing to pay the extra $ for that kind of enviroment.

Oh,btw, i don't want it to sound like i'm a "party girl" who has no interest in school but i just want to do more than just study while i'm up there:smile:
xx

Ahhh right, well, Sunderland isnt just all one one campus. There is City Campus and St peters and then the accommodation is near by. Here is a map http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/images/Bothcampuses_map_2010.pdf
Also, as for the accommodation, i'm not sure where you have been looking for prices but its cheaper to live in student accommodation than on your own.

Don't worry! You don't sound like a party girl! lol xx
Hi, I'm starting this September and was wondering when to apply for uni halls?

Only about six months now!
Original post by lisplover89
Hi, I'm starting this September and was wondering when to apply for uni halls?

Only about six months now!

Hi, Hope you enjoy your time at Sunderland!

I have never lived in halls so I am unsure when you need to apply.If you have been sent any information from the university try looking through that. If not...

Try phoning Course helpline:
+44 (0)191 515 3000

or emailing them on [email protected]

x
Reply 13
I'm at Sunderland! I'm a first year, studying Photography, and I love it :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Becka132
I'm at Sunderland! I'm a first year, studying Photography, and I love it :smile:

Hey Becka! Congrats for beeing a Sunderland student! Was wondering if you could read my posts from above and share some thoughts from your experience on the topics i'm interested in?
Thanks!
xx
Original post by Becka132

Hi Becka!

Glad you are enjoying your time at Sunderland, it would be great if you could join the sunderland social group and keep an eye on this thread and help me answer questions people have about sunderland! It would be good to have other peoples opinions!

xx
Hi, i have an offer from sunderland for Pharmacy. Im from scotland so would be moving down to halls. Can anyone advise on which halls are best for first years and also which halls have ensuite facilities etc :smile:

Amy. :smile:
Is anybody studying at Sunderland University next year? I'm studying Performing Arts...I hope I find someone who's doing it with me :smile: x
Reply 18
I'm considering taking my offer I have for Primary Education :smile: It's between that, Leeds or Northumbria, just waiting for Northumbria's decision first!
Reply 19
Starting in Sept! :smile:
Staying in Clanny, anyone know much about these halls?

Quick Reply