The Student Room Group

Ched Evans jailed for rape

Footballer Ched Evans has been jailed for five years for raping a 19-year-old woman, while another player, Clayton McDonald, has been cleared.

Wales and Sheffield United striker Evans, 23, was convicted by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court.

Both he and Port Vale defender McDonald, also 23, had denied rape at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

The men admitted having sex with the woman on 30 May, 2011 but said it was consensual.

During the trial, the jury saw video interviews in which the woman, now 20, said she could not remember what happened and feared her drinks were spiked.

She could not remember travelling to the hotel, but woke up in a double bed.

"My clothes were scattered around on the floor," she said.

"I just didn't know how I got there, if I had gone there with anyone. I was confused and dazed."

The court heard that Evans, whose mother lives in Rhyl, had invited McDonald and others for a bank holiday night out in the seaside town on 29 May.

Because there was not enough space at Evans' mother's house, he booked McDonald into the hotel.

Defender Clayton McDonald signed for Port Vale last season
The court heard that McDonald met the woman and took her back to the hotel room, sending a text to Evans stating he had "got a bird".

During Evans' evidence, he told the jury he had gone to the hotel, let himself into McDonald's room and watched his friend and the woman having sex.

It was claimed McDonald asked if his friend could "get involved", to which the woman said yes.

The prosecution claimed that while the attack happened, Jack Higgins, an "associate" of the footballers, and Ryan Roberts, Mr Evans' brother, watched through a window.

The court heard the defendants had known each other since they were 10 years old and shared digs when they played for Manchester City's youth academy.

Source

I doubt his goalscoring record will count for a lot when it gets to shower time....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ched who..?
Original post by sr90
If the woman was too drunk to give consent, how on earth is one man guilty but not the other? :dontknow:

Ched was having a really good season for Sheffield United and he's thrown it all away. Silly boy.

Possibly because the other block went back with her, so you could say going to a hotel youd expect it. Ched joined in later when she was incapacitated.
He'd had such a promising start to his career, and now he's thrown it all away.

He'll probably only serve 2 years, so I wouldn't say his career is totally ruined (see Marlon King), though his reputation has been more than tainted.
Slightly confused about the circuimstances, did she or did she not consent?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah, so the guy who took her back and was already having sex with her was cleared, whilst a guy who joins in half way through is jailed? Que?
Original post by Steezy
Yeah, so the guy who took her back and was already having sex with her was cleared, whilst a guy who joins in half way through is jailed? Que?

This is what i don't understand!
Reply 7
He's been an idiot.

But surely if she didn't know what was going on & can't remember how she ended up in a hotel, then the other guy shouldn't be getting off as innocent?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
5 years WOW :redface:

he was having a good season as well

thats his career GONE
Reply 9
So many things baffle me about this story.

How can someone that took the girl back to his hotel room and had sex with her not be guilty, but someone that joins in - with consent from both parties - be guilty. If she was "too drunk" to give consent, surely she was too drunk to give consent to McDonald in the first place? Or did she get absolutely hammered in the time between Evans entering the room and asking to join in, that 5-10 second interval. And anyway, Evans has asked to join in and she's said yes, what's he supposed to do, breathalyse her? Oh so you don't need to breathalyse, you just need to make your own judgement. Well how do you determine when someone you've just met and know nothing about, other than they're having sex with someone else with no issues, is too drunk to consent?

I just don't understand at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
5 years WOW :redface:

he was having a good season as well

thats his career GONE

Marlon King and Lee Hughes still have football careers despite serving time.
Reply 11
Original post by sr90
If the woman was too drunk to give consent, how on earth is one man guilty but not the other? :dontknow:

Ched was having a really good season for Sheffield United and he's thrown it all away. Silly boy.

This is what I was thinking while reading the article.

During Evans' evidence, he told the jury he had gone to the hotel, let himself in to Mr McDonald's room and watched his friend and the woman having sex.

It was claimed Mr McDonald asked if his friend could "get involved", to which the woman said yes.

Ok, so one guy is not guilty of anything and the guy who "gets involved" gets 6 years in jail. WTF? According to them she said yes to him getting involved. So if the court did not believe that, then how can they believe that the first guy is not guilty of rape?
I cannot understand for the life of me how McDonald has got away with this. How is what he did five years in prison less serious than what Evans did?

I feel sorry for Ched tbh. Both Joey Barton and Marlon King are far bigger scumbags. It's debatable whether or not Ched raped her or not, she said she couldn't remember, meanwhile Barton deliberately beats the **** out of two people, stabs a cigarette out in a guys eye and spends a few months in prison. Five years is far too harsh as it's impossible to establish whether the girl consented or not.

Although he will probably be out in two and he's still only 23. Clubs will be queuing up to sign him when he gets out. Besides I think there is a decent chance his appeal will succeed.

Original post by Point!
From Player of the Month to getting ploughed every morning, all in less than 3 weeks.

Not funny. Barely anyone gets raped in prison anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
This baffles me too, there's something missing from this case.Firstly, shouldn't she have been too drunk to be able to give consent in going back to the hotel with the first footballer? How did she magically get that drunk in between haveing sex with the first footballer and the second?..I'm not buying the whole "I don't remember anything statement", besides what was she expecting going back to a hotel with a footballer, cuddling? nobody forced her to go with him??.I firmly believe that nobody deserves to be raped and if the one foorballer did rape her he deserves what he got, and as for the other one there's karma.
I only just saw the news on Skysports, wow 5 years quite a lot.
Reply 15
This is ****ed up.

EDIT: (no pun intended).
Reply 16
If you are drunk and start a fight you get no remorse from the law, get drunk and say yes to sex and obviously you couldn't help it because you were drunk. Hypocrisy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Rape is rape. Whether you're an everyday person or celebrity, it is still wrong. This girl got the justice she needed.
Original post by Idle
If you are drunk and start a fight you get remorse from the law

You don't, the opposite is true in fact. In my very first session of an advocacy workshop this was one of the first things they told us. It's a tabloid myth.
Reply 19
Original post by Kevmeister
Marlon King and Lee Hughes still have football careers despite serving time.

5 years?!

ofc it may get reduced....but this is a serious crime. I see no way back.

Quick Reply

Latest