The Student Room Group

When you get married, will you take your partner's name?

This poll is closed

Will you take your partner's name (surname)?

Yes 50%
No 27%
Not Sure Yet23%
Total votes: 114
Hey Guys;

I was just wondering, but, if you get married will you be taking your partner's surname or will you keep your own upon marriage? I just want to know if people are gonna stick with tradition or do something different.

Scroll to see replies

Don't know yet, probably depends on nationality of my partner and how much I like their surname :tongue:
seeing as i hate my surname and want to change it id really hope my partner wouldnt want to take mine
I hate my surname, but if theirs is worse, then no XD I wouldn't do it out of tradition but I wouldn't not do it just for the sake of it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
I'd want my wife to keep hers.
Reply 5
I'd take my partner's name. I think it's a tradition and a pride thing for me. If I'm married to someone, I'd be proud to have his name because it shows the world that we're a unit and I think that's the way it should be. To each their own though, I guess.
Probably not. I like my name and I don't see the point in changing it. Unless my partner really wanted me to.
Reply 7
Probably,

though he has suggested taking the first syllable of my name and the last of his. Then calling our first born son Eric.

We would be the parents of Eric Cartman
Yeah I would - it would add to the feeling that I'm in a different phase of my life as a wife and a potential family down the line could be on the cards.
Reply 9
My current partner I would double barrel it but any children would have have his name. But if they had an awesome name id drop mine. If my name was well known.profesdionally I dont know if id want to change it.
I would take my partners name in terms of domestic things such as post and the shopping and stuff like that but Id like to keep my surname for my professional job as ive got quite an unusual second name
Reply 11
If I like their surname I will change it. If not, I will keep mine!
Reply 12
I would like to take my husband's last name after we get married but as a to-be doctor I'll still use my maiden name while I'm in hospital.
Absolutely hell no! Besides me making a name for myself as a research chemist, the act of becoming part of your husband's family is outdated and for me personally, has connotations of male chauvinism. I'm not changing my name for anybody. As long as I carry and give birth to my babies, they will have my surname too, although I will compromise a hyphen for the kids if he insists.
(edited 11 years ago)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Yes, but if my husband wanted to take mine for whatever reason then thats fine too, no big deal.
I'm not sure why anyone does any more. Women are equals in marriages now, and divorce is far more common - it just adds confusion for people to change their names upon marriage. I can understand the use of a convention for naming children, but that doesn't really explain the interest in a wife taking her husband's name.
Yes, but I will have a double barrel surname.
Reply 18
I'm not sure... I've already changed my name by deed poll so it includes both my parents' names, and I love my new surname. Also seeing as the youngest generation [ie my sister and me] of my dad's family are both females, if we both changed our names his family name would die out.

I think it depends on what their surname was - I would consider having a double barrel name, my dad's surname and the surname of my husband :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora
Absolutely hell no! Besides me making a name for myself as a research chemist, the act of becoming part of your husband's family is outdated and for me personally, has connotations of male chauvinism. I'm not changing my name for anybody. As long as I carry and give birth to my babies, they will have my surname too, although I will compromise a hyphen for the kids if he insists.

But they are half his children too, don't they have equal entitlement to either name?

My mum insisted when we were born that we take her name, I've hated it all my life until I changed it to double-barrel at 18. I couldn't comprehend the idea that by name I wasn't part of my dad's family.

Quick Reply