The Student Room Group

Should I claim on this accident?

So today it was my fourth driving lesson.

We were approaching a mini roundabout and the car behind was driving too close and also trying to overtake us. And also going too fast.

I had to brake to give way to an on-coming car otherwise they would of obviously hit us if we set off

So i breaked and next minuet the car slammed into us from behind.

Its been a few hours now and my back starting to hurt so im wondering if i should put in a claim for some compensation ?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go for it, they were at fault :smile:
Reply 2
Christ give it a few days at least. It's people like you that are turning this country into a claim-for-anything nation like America.
Reply 3
Few serious questions, apologies if it seems i'm digging.

Do you have a job?
If yes will you need to take time off?
Will you have any sort of loss of earnings?
Do you need to pay for prescriptions or the what not that will now be needed due to your back?

If yes - claim - you need to claim to pay for this stuff that you wouldn't normally have to..

If not - personally I wouldn't. Claim's are reasons car insurance goes up and I'd like my insurance to stay the same!
Reply 4
Yes you should - you've got nothing to lose and he shouldn't have been up your arse anyway, perhaps it will teach him a lesson :biggrin:
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
Why would you not claim?

insurance premiums will go up.
I hate how anyone who claims after an accident is seen as a big bad villain, why should they be in pain for someone else's stupidity?

Blame the driver who clearly isn't safe to be driving rather than the OP who has done nothing wrong.
Reply 7
I'd be so lucky to have someone up my arse.
I would get your back checked up first and foremost.
that's more reason to go through insurance IMO, the insurance company should know how crap a driver she clearly is
Claim and say that you have whiplash and headaches, dont go out for a few days, keep going to the doctors and saying it hurts alot, try to stay awake all night, then say that to the doctors too that you cant sleep cause of the pain and that you keep getting flashbacks and feel scared and everytime you cross the road you scared a car is going to hit you.

You'l be loaded :smile: If only someone crashed into me when i was a learner :frown:

p.s if you aint that good of an actor, just go on a really fast rollercoaster and keep going onit till you actually get whiplash, also dont say to the doctors you went to a theme park, and plz do destroy the ticket. And go on bumper cars and piss people off there so they smash in the back of you
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry to hear that :frown: But great stuff! Keep on reminding yourself what happened in your mind, get emotional from it, so it looks like your affected mentally :smile: I think you're looking at getting about 2k from this compensation, my uncle did the same when he had a little crash when someone hit his car from behind, he put in a claim for whiplash, got about 2 grand, if only i was in the car ..
They give you an estimate after their doctor has examined you.

If you do have whiplash you won't know about it until later tonight/tomorrow morning, it takes a while to come on. But you will know if you get it, trust me!
If you think the pain is going to seriously impact on your quality of life and suchlike, you probably should make a claim. I don't think it would be justified to claim just because the money would be there for the taking, though.

Hopefully your recovery will be swift so you won't need to claim!
Reply 14
You've had an accident and hurt your back, so you thought the first thing you should do was go on the internet and see if there is any chance you could make some money out of this rather than seeing whether your back is alright. Nice priorities.
Reply 15
Or you could... man up?
Reply 16
Original post by rmisra
Its all fair and well for you to say what happened, but he may have a completely different interpretation of how the accident happened, perhaps the reality is that you applied the brakes suddenly, for no apparent reason, as there is no proof it would be hard for you to gain any compensation, especially if you are a learner driver, as I'm sorry to say learner drivers are notorious for crashing...

It will be very easy for the OP to claim compensation, assuming it's fully comp as it was an instructor's car. If you're fully comp it doesn't matter who was at fault you will still receive compensation for injuries.
Reply 17
I don't understand why you are saying your not bothered about the money and your doing it because you would rather have a "good back than have issues for a long time" how on earth will claiming make a difference to this?

whether or not you should claim I would take advice from someone like your instructor since he was there.
Reply 18
I'm not sure the relevance of you being a learner and sustaining an injury is...? You sustained a minor back injury, something which is most likely to disappear within a few days. If you go and see a doctor and they pronounce you have slipped disk then I'd not blame you for claiming. To claim for something... like a little back injury is just pathetic IMO though.
Reply 19
That's why you came on here seeking advice about whether you should claim compensation and not about your back, makes perfect sense.

Quick Reply

Latest