The Student Room Group

Higgs Boson Physicist Shunned

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Its always Islam.
Reply 2
Disgraceful. They should be proud of him, and holding him up as a shining example of what people of the country can achieve.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Its always Islam.

Mate, if anything this is the opposite of being true. Any knowledge of early medieval history will tell you this.

But this is probably a troll anyway.

EDIT:

I was just pointing out discrepancies in generalisations rather than anything else. Many religious people are clever and vice versa. What has history got to do with today? Society is a microcosm of itself, things don't actually change they just get different names and faces. Anyway, aside from anything else, Christianity (the other largest bracketed religious belief system) has been equally poor in its record of appreciating scientific discovery, both in the past and even now; so the statement is doubly ridiculous.

My original point was referring to that, without the Muslims of Late Antiquity/Early Medieval period then much if not all of the Greeks discoveries and advancements in the science may have been lost. Bear in mind, the Greeks, and Muslim scholars, both knew of the circulation of the blood, 600 years, and much before that, earlier than William Harvey made his discovery. It is also worth noting that the Muslims were principally responsible for maintaining the works of Aristotle and other leading Greeks, Aristotle specifically relevant as he may well be cited as being the grand-father of modern science, certainly empiricism.

That acknowledged, in an example of the microcosm in progress, the burning of the library at Alexandria, undisputedly a bad thing, may have been a result of poor decisions by Muslims, for the very reasons people have highlighted here. However it's a gross misunderstanding to leap to the conclusion all Muslims are like this, or that it is always Islam. I mean, say that to Galileo's face, or grave as it may be.

Sorry, if I was unclear. I wasn't trying to justify the article in anyway, only dispute a mildly offensive generalisation, and before you ask, no I'm not a Muslim.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
What does the country gain by erasing the guy's contributions to science from textbooks?

Seriously messed up...
Its always Islam.

LOL

http://markhumphrys.com/science.religion.html
Reply 6
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
Mate, if anything this is the opposite of being true. Any knowledge of early medieval history will tell you this.

What does the Islam of yore have to do with the Islam of today?
Religion is no more static than the people who support it. And people are anything but.
Its always Islam.

No it's not
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-06/06/south-korea-creationism
Just one example
Original post by prog2djent
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/08/higgs-boson-pakistan-scientist

This is really, really sad, especially - "Officials at Quaid-i-Azam University had to cancel plans for Salam to lecture about his Nobel-winning theory when Islamist student activists threatened to break the physicist's legs, said his colleague Hoodbhoy."

I ******* hate religion, wherever and whenever, it will always be a setback to science, discovery, and secularism, or when innovation (Bid‘ah) is a crime.

Islam the self proclaimed religion of peace. I agree with you, I hate religion too when it interferes with the progression of science and society.
Original post by prog2djent
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/08/higgs-boson-pakistan-scientist

This is really, really sad, especially - "Officials at Quaid-i-Azam University had to cancel plans for Salam to lecture about his Nobel-winning theory when Islamist student activists threatened to break the physicist's legs, said his colleague Hoodbhoy."

I ******* hate religion, wherever and whenever, it will always be a setback to science, discovery, and secularism, or when innovation (Bid‘ah) is a crime.

Disgraceful. Just utterly unbelievable.
Original post by Tudball
What does the Islam of yore have to do with the Islam of today?
Religion is no more static than the people who support it. And people are anything but.

Did or did not religion influence this tribalism and division, to the extent that a man a nation should be proud of, is instead being disgraced?
Original post by Design_Me_A_Tom
Islam the self proclaimed religion of peace.

If you say so.
Even though im against both why do the majority of TSR think its ok to bash religion, but then chastise racists or people who disagree with homosexuality ? Genuine question
For the record if this is the attitude that Pakistan takes with science, why should Western universities be accommodating to international Pakistani students? It works both ways.

Watch it. The Near and Middle East were the leaders in mathematics and astronomy, until Islam stuck its nose into it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
If you say so.

All religions are self proclaimed peaceful. If religious people are meant to follow the code of 'love thy neighbour' and 'turn the other cheek' etc. The BASICS of the Christian faith (I know this article is about Islam, but I am just making a point) then why do they threaten violence and hatred so much.

Mate, get your head out the sand.
Reply 17
Original post by FrescoDiMorte
Even though im against both why do the majority of TSR think its ok to bash religion, but then chastise racists or people who disagree with homosexuality ? Genuine question

People can't help who they fancy or what colour their skin is.

They can help believing in a man who lives with fairies in the clouds.
Original post by FrescoDiMorte

Because religion is an idea, like a political ideology, it's an idea, people should be free to attack and scrutinise any idea as much as they please; being racist or homophobic is different, being part of an ethnicity, or having a different sexual orientation, and being criticised for it, is irrational.
Original post by im so academic
For the record if this is the attitude that Pakistan takes with science, why should Western universities be accommodating to international Pakistani students? It works both ways.

This doesn't make much sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending