The Student Room Group

Nervous at first day of work!

Hey guys,

Today was my first day at my new job as a sales assistant. I was asked to work on the tills after a few minutes of training. I was so nervous I started to make simple mistakes such as entering the wrong amount of cash given to me etc.

My boss called me over to tell me that if I don't buckle up soon I will not continue on the job after the first week.

Soon after I became more confident, made less mistakes and started working quicker.

However, I'm still worried that I haven't impressed the boss and am scared that I might lose my job.

Have any of you had any similar experiences during your first few days at work? If so, did you manage to fight through that?

Thanks
It's alright. Most people get nervous and everyone makes mistakes on their first day. Your boss was out of line for saying that as it has only made you more nervous. As things seem to have improved, your boss will have no reason for sacking you.

Ps join a trade union - USDAW would be a good one and they can offer a lot of protection :smile:
Man up and deal with it. Jesus christ, talk about 1st world problems - am i right?
Original post by jack_the_king
Man up and deal with it. Jesus christ, talk about 1st world problems - am i right?

You mean 3rd world problems. We live in the first world.
Original post by Livingstone
You mean 3rd world problems. We live in the first world.

No... trivial problems with no real significance are first world problems....

http://first-world-problems.com/

don't be a dumbass.
Original post by jack_the_king

No, you're not. Now shut up.
Original post by Chocothunder
No, you're not. Now shut up.

w/e
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's alright. Most people get nervous and everyone makes mistakes on their first day. Your boss was out of line for saying that as it has only made you more nervous. As things seem to have improved, your boss will have no reason for sacking you.

Ps join a trade union - USDAW would be a good one and they can offer a lot of protection :smile:

Thanks for your help, I'll keep that in mind. :smile:
I'm surprised that your manager reacted like that. Surely they must realise that it's going to take a bit of time to learn how to use the tills.
Don't worry about it, you'll learn soon enough, it'll become unconscious to you, just like riding a bike or walking.
It's ok to be nervous, most people are when starting new jobs, employers and staff should be able to understand this as I am sure it must've been the same for them
Reply 9
Original post by SeanWilliams92
I'm surprised that your manager reacted like that. Surely they must realise that it's going to take a bit of time to learn how to use the tills.
Don't worry about it, you'll learn soon enough, it'll become unconscious to you, just like riding a bike or walking.
It's ok to be nervous, most people are when starting new jobs, employers and staff should be able to understand this as I am sure it must've been the same for them

It probably depends on how strict the manager is.

Yeah I guess I'll get more confident with time.

Reply 10
Original post by bruce_t89
Hey guys,

Today was my first day at my new job as a sales assistant. I was asked to work on the tills after a few minutes of training. I was so nervous I started to make simple mistakes such as entering the wrong amount of cash given to me etc.

My boss called me over to tell me that if I don't buckle up soon I will not continue on the job after the first week.

Soon after I became more confident, made less mistakes and started working quicker.

However, I'm still worried that I haven't impressed the boss and am scared that I might lose my job.

Have any of you had any similar experiences during your first few days at work? If so, did you manage to fight through that?

Thanks

I believe that confidence come with experience. When I started my first sales assistant job, we were given no training at all but then again I was not allowed to use the tills but nevertheless I was thrown into the deep end and I had to use my initiative and realise that I won't get fired for simple mistakes but I will get fired for not working hard enough or not getting along with my team and that kept me motivated. Everybody makes mistake, especially since it's you first job as a sales assistant. I recommed that when the store is quiet you become familiar with the different products in the store, the layout and how to till work and most important RELAX, be I find that I make the most mistake when I'm nervous and then I acknowledge that I'm nervous and I make even more mistake. I just think once you get confortable with your new surroundings you'll become a pro at what you do.

Good luck!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending