The Student Room Group

Mr M's Edexcel GCSE Linear 1380 Higher Tier Paper 3 Answers June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Instincts_2012
Mr M, it says 38.4kg, will I still get full marks if I wrote 38400grams?

yes
Original post by M.Malik
overall??

i havent seen the other paper so how do you possibly expect me to guess how many marks you need for a B on that one?

50% on THIS paper approx
Reply 1062
Original post by Peak27

Original post by Peak27
Dont take my word for it, i'm a student who did the test lol and it was hard! it has got to be lower than last years 103! Agree?

yh definetely
Reply 1063

Original post by Mr M
i havent seen the other paper so how do you possibly expect me to guess how many marks you need for a B on that one?

50% on THIS paper approx

noo i mean like a guess wat u need overall so last years was 103 this year would it be 95 or sumfin???
Original post by M.Malik
noo i mean like a guess wat u need overall so last years was 103 this year would it be 95 or sumfin???

I can't guess about something I haven't seen. The next paper could be very easy pushing the boundaries right up.
Reply 1065
kkk
Reply 1066
Original post by Mr M
Revision List for GCSE Higher Calculator Maths Exam on 10th June 2011

Grade D
Using a calculator
Pie charts
Stem and leaf diagrams
Percentages
Plans and elevations
Area and circumference of a circle
Probability
Plotting a graph from a table of values
Rotations or enlargements

Grade C
Trial and improvement
Expressing a number as the product of its prime factors
Forming and solving an equation
Pythagoras’ Theorem
Mean from a frequency table
Speed, distance and time
Perpendicular bisector

Grade B
Standard form
Moving averages
Circle theorems
Trigonometry
Loci
Probability tree diagrams
Quadratic formula
Dimensions

Grade A
Sine Rule, Cosine Rule or area of a scalene triangle
Direct and inverse proportion
Stratified sample

Grade A*
Upper and lower bounds
Graph transformations

If I revise all of that and do past papers is there anything else I should revise or have you listed all the topics that could possibly be on there?
Original post by Mr M
I can't guess about something I haven't seen. The next paper could be very easy pushing the boundaries right up.

2. Scatter graph
b) 7.5 hours (or an answer close to this) (2 marks) I drew a line of best fit and wrote '8 hours', will I receive 2 marks?

3. Angles in parallel lines
b) Corresponding angles OR F angles (2 marks) I could not remember the word 'corresponding' so I wrote 'Angles on a straight line add up to 180 degrees. 180 degrees - 55 degrees = 125 degrees. Interior angles add up to 180 degrees. 180 degrees - 125 degrees = 55 degrees'. Will I receive 1 mark for q2.b)?

8. Questionnaire
b) People at the swimming pool are likely to have an active lifestyle (1 mark) I wrote: 'People are the swimming pool obviously like to go swimming so probably do more exercise than the average person'. Will I receive the mark?

10. Mass of a prism
38.4 kg (5 marks) Will 38,400 grams receive all 5 marks?

12. Indices
(b) (2 marks) Will '4x^-1' receive 2 marks?

13. Frequency Polygon
Plotted correctly at midpoints of the weight intervals (2 marks) I think I plotted the correct points, but at the end point of the intervals. How many marks will I receive?

17. Geometrical Proof
Use angle sum of triangle equals 180 degrees to prove result (3 marks) This question had horrible wording! I did not understand it at all!

20. Box Plots
Two correct comparisons such as the medians are the same and the interquartile range of the girls is smaller than that of the boys. (2 marks) I commented on the means (averages) being the same and the range of the boys being larger than the girls. How many marks will I receive?

21. Equation of a straight line
a) Gradient (2 marks) I put '1/2' (ie. I did not include the minus sign). How many marks will I receive?

b) (2 marks) Will there be error carried forward for '+1/2'x rather than '-1/2'x?

25. 3D shapes
(4 marks) I got the equations right, but left it as I did not find 'h'.

26. Vectors
b) Show parallel vector (3 marks) I worked out '1.2a + 1.2b' and wrote they had the same direction and same multitude (I should have written a multiple!) as 'a + b'. How many marks will I receive out of 3?

27. Algebraic fraction
x = 3 or x = -2 (4 marks) How many marks, if any, would I get for making the denominators equal?

I would be so grateful if you could answer my questions Mr M! Sorry that there are so many!

Thank you so much (in advance)! :biggrin:

Why did I get negged? :frown: Sorry if this post was too long; I am simply very worried about my result and I have a lot of questions! :colondollar::tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ITomI
If I revise all of that and do past papers is there anything else I should revise or have you listed all the topics that could possibly be on there?

u can be tested on ANYTHING in the specification - it is huge
Reply 1069
Mr.M, u know for question 2b-I wrote 7 hours 36minutes. I read the graph at 7.6 hours will i get the full marks for this question?
Reply 1070
I think MrM should get the TSR award or somthing like Maths section award...I did crap on this paper btw (60%)..but none the less..I think MrM should get somthing for being like really good person..
Reply 1071
Original post by king101
I think MrM should get the TSR award or somthing like Maths section award...I did crap on this paper btw (60%)..but none the less..I think MrM should get somthing for being like really good person..

I think so too. :biggrin:
Is this paper marked on raw or UMS marks? I think I got 93+ or higher so that's probably an A* in raw marks but are UMS higher because some of my friends are worrying about their marks.
Reply 1073
Original post by hyn_shayan
Is this paper marked on raw or UMS marks? I think I got 93+ or higher so that's probably an A* in raw marks but are UMS higher because some of my friends are worrying about their marks.

marks are given in raw marks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey Mr M, do you think you can help me out with Question 17 and 25, like show me the working out to the question cuz incase it might come up again on the friday paper. Plz help me out ! Thank you.
Reply 1075
Original post by hyn_shayan
I think I got 93+ or higher so that's probably an A* in raw marks

you are a genius, man! :congrats::hat2:
Reply 1076
Mr.M, u know for question 2b-I wrote 7 hours 36minutes. I read the graph at 7.6 hours will i get the full marks for this question?
Original post by estudiante_numero1
2. Scatter graph
b) 7.5 hours (or an answer close to this) (2 marks) I drew a line of best fit and wrote '8 hours', will I receive 2 marks? yes

3. Angles in parallel lines
b) Corresponding angles OR F angles (2 marks) I could not remember the word 'corresponding' so I wrote 'Angles on a straight line add up to 180 degrees. 180 degrees - 55 degrees = 125 degrees. Interior angles add up to 180 degrees. 180 degrees - 125 degrees = 55 degrees'. Will I receive 1 mark for q2.b)? possibly if you drew them on the diagram

8. Questionnaire
b) People at the swimming pool are likely to have an active lifestyle (1 mark) I wrote: 'People are the swimming pool obviously like to go swimming so probably do more exercise than the average person'. Will I receive the mark? yes
10. Mass of a prism
38.4 kg (5 marks) Will 38,400 grams receive all 5 marks? yes

12. Indices
(b) (2 marks) Will '4x^-1' receive 2 marks? yes

13. Frequency Polygon
Plotted correctly at midpoints of the weight intervals (2 marks) I think I plotted the correct points, but at the end point of the intervals. How many marks will I receive? 1 mark

17. Geometrical Proof
Use angle sum of triangle equals 180 degrees to prove result (3 marks) This question had horrible wording! I did not understand it at all! zero then

20. Box Plots
Two correct comparisons such as the medians are the same and the interquartile range of the girls is smaller than that of the boys. (2 marks) I commented on the means (averages) being the same and the range of the boys being larger than the girls. How many marks will I receive? not means so no mark there, range is worth 1 mark

21. Equation of a straight line
a) Gradient (2 marks) I put '1/2' (ie. I did not include the minus sign). How many marks will I receive? 1 mark

b) (2 marks) Will there be error carried forward for '+1/2'x rather than '-1/2'x? probably

25. 3D shapes
(4 marks) I got the equations right, but left it as I did not find 'h'. you will get some credit then

26. Vectors
b) Show parallel vector (3 marks) I worked out '1.2a + 1.2b' and wrote they had the same direction and same multitude (I should have written a multiple!) as 'a + b'. How many marks will I receive out of 3? 2 marks or 3 with a generous examiner

27. Algebraic fraction
x = 3 or x = -2 (4 marks) How many marks, if any, would I get for making the denominators equal? 1 mark

I would be so grateful if you could answer my questions Mr M!

Thank you so much (in advance)! :biggrin:

answers above
Original post by nm786

that is ok i think
Original post by king101

:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest