The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2012

I know its super early but is anyone thinking about applying for Social Work 2012??

I'm starting college in Aug to do HNC Social Care. I currently work as a homecarer since Feb this year and have done volunteer befriending for over 3 years. Is this enough experience? I'm also thinking about doing higher english as well as the HNC this year, would this help me get in or would I just be wasting my time?

I'm so excited!!!

LMx

Scroll to see replies

Just thought I would bump this up a bit and see if there is anyone out there applying for social work? I don't expect to hear anything until after January so I could be doing with the moral support :smile:

LMx
Reply 2
same here, swtb! (regards the moral support lol) - btw, saw your question on other thread but decided to ansa u here to keep it all in one place, so to speak:tongue:

i've applied (in no particular order) to strath, cale, uws, stirling and dundee.

all for SW - heard back from strath so far.

how bout you?:smile:
Reply 3
Sorry to jump in to the conversation, but I was just needing some moral support. Sent my application nearly 3 weeks ago and the wait for replies is killing me.

Just wanted to get chatting to other people who are applying/ on the course too :smile:

I've applied to York, Leeds, Manchester met, Chester and Huddersfield.
Reply 4
meh:biggrin:

jump as much as you like, emtem.

presume you mean for SW? and yeah, the wait is deffo the hardest bit although in saying that, i'm surprised at the speed of responses i've had so far!

2 other uni's have been in touch for various reasons and it just goes to show that somewhere behind the scenes, they are actually looking at the apps:eek:

lol
Original post by ashtoreth
same here, swtb! (regards the moral support lol) - btw, saw your question on other thread but decided to ansa u here to keep it all in one place, so to speak:tongue:

i've applied (in no particular order) to strath, cale, uws, stirling and dundee.

all for SW - heard back from strath so far.

how bout you?:smile:

Hiya!! We're applying to almost the same uni's! I'm applying to Robert Gordon instead of UWS, is it UWS at Paisley or Dumfries? I think we also applied on the same date, 2nd Dec?! Which is great, we can keep each other up to date on what's happening! What did Strathclyde say? I heard from Striling yesterday asking for a further reference and for me to answer some questions so I'm feeling a little bit more confident now!

LMx
Original post by emtem93
Sorry to jump in to the conversation, but I was just needing some moral support. Sent my application nearly 3 weeks ago and the wait for replies is killing me.

Just wanted to get chatting to other people who are applying/ on the course too :smile:

I've applied to York, Leeds, Manchester met, Chester and Huddersfield.

Hi :smile: I know what you mean the waiting is killing me too! I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after 15th January but hearing that people are getting interviews now is making me so nervous! Have you heard back from anywhere yet?
Good Luck
LMx
Reply 7
Original post by socialworkertobe
Hiya!! We're applying to almost the same uni's! I'm applying to Robert Gordon instead of UWS, is it UWS at Paisley or Dumfries? I think we also applied on the same date, 2nd Dec?! Which is great, we can keep each other up to date on what's happening! What did Strathclyde say? I heard from Striling yesterday asking for a further reference and for me to answer some questions so I'm feeling a little bit more confident now!

LMx

hey!

lol...with such a small pool of uni's to draw from it's no wonder we are applying to similar places!
strath have asked me for pretty much what stirling have asked of you. stirling got in touch with my college as well, so who knows, mebbe i'm gonna hear from them some point in time.

i've put down the paisley campus for UWS. looked at RGU but decided on dundee instead.

and yeah, applied to ucas same date as yourself and cannot believe how fast the turnaround has been!
still to hear from two of them tho, so we see what happens next. got that many things on my plate just now. assignments that need to be done over the xmas period and now this work for strath. am feeling a bit overwhelmed tbh.

i just keep praying someone takes pity on me and gives me a place! lol

incidentally, you said people have got interviews. do you mean for SW?
(edited 12 years ago)
got that many things on my plate just now. assignments that need to be done over the xmas period and now this work for strath. am feeling a bit overwhelmed tbh.

i just keep praying someone takes pity on me and gives me a place! lol

incidentally, you said people have got interviews. do you mean for SW?

Yeah, I noticed on another thread some people were saying they had interviews for social work but I think that may have been in England. I'm rubbish at interviews, I know Stirling don't do them so fingers crossed I can get in there!

Are you at college at the moment? I'm doing HNC Social Care and I know what you mean about having a lot on your plate! Oh well it'll all be worth it next year when we're on our course :wink:

LMx
Reply 9
same here, swtb. terrible at interviews! i just get way too nervous unfortunately.

and you're prob right regards the inteviews being in england. i know of some that have had them already/have them coming up.

as you may have gathered by that, i'm a mature english student so i'm not doing the HNC but an Access course :smile:

and i have three assignments to do in 5 days. why five days? cos the library closes after that cos it's xmas. bah humbug! don't they know i have work to do? :eek:

come the new year, there's gonna be another two assignments launched as well as the expectation that i'll have to deal with more work from the uni's i've applied to, if i'm lucky enuff to get to next stage.

*glum*

ps. i do so hope it will be worth it and that we get a place, cos right now i'm at total panic stations much to my tutor's annoyance lol - i keep wailing about not getting a place and how my life will be over etc etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

ps. i do so hope it will be worth it and that we get a place, cos right now i'm at total panic stations much to my tutor's annoyance lol - i keep wailing about not getting a place and how my life will be over etc etc.

Have you thought about what you would do if, god forbid, you didn't get a place? I'd quite like to work in a children's residential unit and have been looking at a few jobs just to see what they are like. Most require experience which I don't have so after Christmas I think I'm going to have a look at doing some voluntary work with young people in care, I'm not entirely sure where I'll fit it all in though!

I know what you mean about the amount of work to get done, I've got one essay due in next week then over the holidays I need to prepare a presentation and make sure all my notes are up to date so that if I do have more work to do for the other uni's (I have never hoped for extra work so much in all my life!) I'll have enough time to do it!

I got an email from Strathclyde yesterday as well asking for an additional reference, personal statement and scenario questions and I need to send it back within 2 weeks. Just as well I haven't got any plans over Christmas as I'll probably be glued to my laptop the whole time!!

LMx
Have you thought about what you would do if, god forbid, you didn't get a place?

being honest, until i get a place at my first choice, or indeed just A place (!) i will ALWAYS keep thinking i'm not gonna make it.
reckon i'm that scared by the whole process lol

to ansa you tho, no, i don't have a back up plan. it's all or nothing. if my exp lets me down, i'll apply again next year with the exp. if my grades let me down, i'll do the course again. whatever it is that's lacking. i'll fix it.
good that you know what you want to do tho (just in case) in saying that, am SURE you will get somewhere!

just from the quick reading i've done you seem on top of things an are doin well? plus you've heard from 2 outta 5, so not bad goin at'all:tongue:

we've already broken up down here. when do you guys break up for xmas then? and yeah, the workload is pretty demanding.
sigh...should have gone to the library today. feel bad that i didn't but same time, needed a break.
and unlike you, i don't want to hear from anyone regards the work i may have to additionally do lol
in sayin that, would be nice to have a place, especially if it's my preferred uni.

well done on hearing from strath! dead pls'd for ya! i'd intended to get theirs out by now but, decided to leave it a day or so.
brain isn't working an cannot think what else to add to section 2, just right now. but, hey ho...it will either come to me an i'll get thru or, i'll not get thru.
and i'm prpped to accept that not all of my choices will gimme a conditional. as hard as that will be to face at the time lol
being honest, until i get a place at my first choice, or indeed just A place (!)

Where is your first choice? At the moment mine is Dundee, I went to the open day back in October and loved it!

I've had a good think about the Strathclyde additional things and section 2 is definately the hardest as I don't have loads of experience and the experience which I do have I mentioned quite a bit in my original ps so it will be difficult to try and talk about other things but I'm sure we'll manage!! I noticed in the info pack they sent that they will give us a decision within 5 days of receiving this 2nd stage info which it's great. I'm so impatience I want to send it off now but I'm hanging off as I know it's not as good as it could be.

I feel like I'm on top of things at the moment, I just hope I can keep it up as there is nothing worse than feeling like you're sinking. We've already finished up for the holidays :biggrin: just need to pop in on Wednesday to hand in an essay and then we don't go back until the 9th of Jan!

I hope just one uni takes pity on me and let's me in lol at least we've both got through to 2nd stage somewhere so I'm really proud of us already :biggrin:

LMx
Original post by socialworkertobe
Where is your first choice? At the moment mine is Dundee, I went to the open day back in October and loved it!

I've had a good think about the Strathclyde additional things and section 2 is definately the hardest as I don't have loads of experience and the experience which I do have I mentioned quite a bit in my original ps so it will be difficult to try and talk about other things but I'm sure we'll manage!! I noticed in the info pack they sent that they will give us a decision within 5 days of receiving this 2nd stage info which it's great. I'm so impatience I want to send it off now but I'm hanging off as I know it's not as good as it could be.

I feel like I'm on top of things at the moment, I just hope I can keep it up as there is nothing worse than feeling like you're sinking. We've already finished up for the holidays :biggrin: just need to pop in on Wednesday to hand in an essay and then we don't go back until the 9th of Jan!

I hope just one uni takes pity on me and let's me in lol at least we've both got through to 2nd stage somewhere so I'm really proud of us already :biggrin:

LMx

i'm going to sound like a fool but i don't want to say in case i jinx maself lolol

hopefully we'll both get a place at our first choice tho and no matter where we land (hopefully on a SW programme!) i'll mention it when it's all behind us.
superstitious much? lol:redface:

i've not touched the strath thing - been researching for my essays. am just leaving it for now till my muse strikes. have vague ideas on it but, am not dwelling on it. usually what happens with me is, 2am i'll be lying in bed unable to sleep cos my brain is ticking and inspiration will strike, which means i'll get up and get on my pc and start working. is usually how it goes with me.
yeah i know, i'm a freak lol

hadn't noticed that 5 day turnaround btw, so good to know, thanks!

i'd agree with what you've said tho, well done us for getting thru to 2nd stage and please GOD let someone give us a place! or i'm gonna come back n haunt them when i die:tongue:

you get long hols:eek: i'm back on the 4th:mad: and i have shedloads to do. absolutely loads.
got vague ideas on all my assignments so that's ok but, i can see it now. lotsa late nite frantic typing coming up! lol
Reply 14
meh:biggrin:

jump as much as you like, emtem.

presume you mean for SW? and yeah, the wait is deffo the hardest bit although in saying that, i'm surprised at the speed of responses i've had so far!

2 other uni's have been in touch for various reasons and it just goes to show that somewhere behind the scenes, they are actually looking at the apps:eek:

lol

I've finally had an offer :smile: (Huddersfield) Just stressing about the interview now haha! You had any yet?
Original post by emtem93
I've finally had an offer :smile: (Huddersfield) Just stressing about the interview now haha! You had any yet?

wooohooo!:clap2:

go you! am dead chuffed for ya, em!

nah, no interviews for me just yet. probably a good thing or i'd drop down dead under the stress lol

what's your interview entail? :smile:
Original post by emtem93

Well done emtem :biggrin: When is your interview? I've not heard anything more from any universities other than two requesting I do some additional essays. I had a look on the social work applicants 2011 thread and it seems that the universities in Scotland like to drag out offering places on social work courses for as long as possible so I think we are in for a long wait up here :frown:

LMx
Reply 17
hey, iv applied for social work also in cali, dundee and strath. so far iv had rejections for strath which was expected as i have 3bs and a c and they asked for 4bs. but the cali one came as a shock as i had qualifications and expereience. its all on dundee now which is really hard as it feels like they are taking forever, i hate it. has anyone received the online questioniaire?
emma xx
am truly sorry to hear that, ehay :frown:

fingers crossed for you for dundee. i've applied to dundee too and no, not heard from anyone other than strath so far but from some of the activity surrounding another two of my choices, suspect i'll hear from them in the new year. tho am happy for them to take their time :redface:

what's the online questionnaire about pls? cos i haven't had one meself.

did u only apply for 3 institutions? cos we all get 5, no?

also you've surrpised me cos i had no idea uni's were this strict regards grades in scotland. you were only one short - really do feel for you.

in response to how long dundee are taking, i was actually rather surprised at the speed with which the uni's have responded - was rather hoping for them to take longer:colondollar: - you scots move fast lol

hang in there, cos no news is good news :smile: - you got a backup plan at all?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
thanks, i was really gutted! yeah the longer we dont hear the better apparantly! i havent had it either but its a questionaire we have 2 weeks to fill out and i have no idea whats in it. yeah i also applied for teaching, which was a bit stupid of me! i know. caledonian were really hard on me so early on and i tried reasoning with them but no luck. haha.. no no back up plan as i have already done a business hnc this year, this is my last year i think, minus clearance so im really hoping for the best. what grades have you got?

Quick Reply

Latest