The Student Room Group

PhD The Early Process, Application and Interview advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Exulted
Thanks for advice!

I want to submit my application asap and not wait till the deadline, because I think early PhD applications are more favorable. So, I'm worried because my referees are just procrastinating. :s-smilie:

That's exactly what I did. They may be procrastinating or too busy with deadlines that are closer to now than your application deadlines. If they've agreed to write you references they probably will. But it's your responsibility to be organised and send them timely reminders.
Reply 81
Hello,

I need an advice again. I needed 2 references for my PhD application. I first contacted my tutor. He agreed to write it me, but he still didn't. Then I also asked the lecturer who was a supervisor of my dissertation during my masters degree. And now he replied to me that I need first to contact my tutor for the reference. Because it is according university policy. What does it mean? Why supervisors can't write the references?
What about other my lecturers of my masters course? What if they say that I only can contact my tutor?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Exulted
Hello,

I need an advice again. I needed 2 references for my PhD application. I first contacted my tutor. He agreed to write it me, but he still didn't. Then I also asked the lecturer who was a supervisor of my dissertation during my masters degree. And now he replied to me that I need first to contact my tutor for the reference. Because it is according university policy. What does it mean? Why supervisors can't write the references?
What about other my lecturers of my masters course? What if they say that I only can contact my tutor?

I had given them three weeks time turns out its not enough. It better you notify them a month before and keep sending them reminder emails every week.
Reply 83
Original post by olympus123456
I had given them three weeks time turns out its not enough. It better you notify them a month before and keep sending them reminder emails every week.

Thanks!

Now I only hope to get the references for all my 3 unis whenever they could write them to me!
Reply 84

What do you think is better? To send them reminders by email or to use resend notification email which is at online application system of the universities?
Original post by Exulted
What do you think is better? To send them reminders by email or to use resend notification email which is at online application system of the universities?

I first sent them emails and after that sent them the notifications. It worked for me doing both the things.
Hello fellow PhD applicants!! It's getting quite exciting now.. has anyone else got interviews yet? I have my first one next Moday :eek:
Reply 87
Hello again,

Today, I've contacted the admission department of one university and they have told me that
an automatic reference request is sent to my referee's email after I submit my application.
So, it means I can send my application by just filling in the contact details of my referees.
And then after submitting it, track if they wrote the references.

So, now, I'm a little bit unsure about another uni, which requires to have full application with references before submitting. There, I can track whether my referees started, completed my application before submission.
But, what if, I can also submit my application just by providing the details of my referees?
Even though they clearly indicated that they send automatic notification once I provide the details of my referees. Not after I submit my application.
I know that I need to contact this uni for further clarification. Basically, I just don't know whether my referees are simply busy to write me the references or they haven't received these online notifications from the unis. My referees haven't responded back.
Reply 88
Original post by Exulted
Hello again,

Today, I've contacted the admission department of one university and they have told me that
an automatic reference request is sent to my referee's email after I submit my application.
So, it means I can send my application by just filling in the contact details of my referees.
And then after submitting it, track if they wrote the references.

So, now, I'm a little bit unsure about another uni, which requires to have full application with references before submitting. There, I can track whether my referees started, completed my application before submission.
But, what if, I can also submit my application just by providing the details of my referees?
Even though they clearly indicated that they send automatic notification once I provide the details of my referees. Not after I submit my application.
I know that I need to contact this uni for further clarification. Basically, I just don't know whether my referees are simply busy to write me the references or they haven't received these online notifications from the unis. My referees haven't responded back.

I actually found the answer. Second uni as it is stated sends automatic alerts immediately after I supply the details.

So, disregard my contemplations above:smile:.
Original post by TheRandomer
Hello fellow PhD applicants!! It's getting quite exciting now.. has anyone else got interviews yet? I have my first one next Moday :eek:

I have one on thursday. Excited :biggrin: ... Will they asking in depth what we studied in undergrad and master's ?
I have one on thursday. Excited :biggrin: ... Will they asking in depth what we studied in undergrad and master's ?

Oooh which subject? Hope it goes well for you :smile:
I hope they're going to ask more about my undegrad lab projects and my 4th year project etc, and more general conversation questions... but I'm scared they will ask me to solve problems and things!
Oooh which subject? Hope it goes well for you :smile:
I hope they're going to ask more about my undegrad lab projects and my 4th year project etc, and more general conversation questions... but I'm scared they will ask me to solve problems and things!

something related to Biomedical engineering and chemistry

I am scared too if they ask to solve mathematical equations. Theory type questions are fine.

Also, do you think its necessary to wear a tie to interview ? I hate wearing tie :frown: cant withstand it.

I had one in December and one in January. They honestly weren't too bad!

Where is your interview?
Original post by Rainfaery
I had one in December and one in January. They honestly weren't too bad!

Where is your interview?

Liverpool John Moore's for Astrophysics, yay!
Do you mind me asking what kind of questions they focussed on for yours? Was it more an exam style thing, or a discussion?
Ooh and have you applied to Edinburgh again at all? I've applied to go there too, so hopefully I might get an interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Liverpool John Moore's for Astrophysics, yay!
Do you mind me asking what kind of questions they focussed on for yours? Was it more an exam style thing, or a discussion?
Ooh and have you applied to Edinburgh again at all? I've applied to go there too, so hopefully I might get an interview.

Well, both of the ones I went to were really more discussions with possible supervisors about their research and my interests, and my past research experience. Neither of them were exam-style.

I have applied to Edinburgh. It's not likely that I'd stay though, as I'd need a SUPA studentship.
Reply 95
Don't know if I'm the first but I'd like to share with you all that I've been offered a PhD place :-) Just have to submit the funding applications now and keep my fingers crossed but the university have said they will help to try and maximise my chances :cool: Can't really believe it.

How did your interview go ?
How did your interview go ?

It was alright thanks :biggrin: They just asked kind of weird questions, it wasn't really the format I was expecting. Had a chat with a lot of potential supervisors too about their various projects, so that was good. The only thing is they don't make offers for a particular project.. you decide only after you arrive.. sort of off-putting. Also they won't be able to offer the co-tutelle/joint PhD route like they led me to believe.
How are your applications going? :smile: Did it go well on Thursday?
(edited 12 years ago)
It was alright thanks :biggrin: They just asked kind of weird questions, it wasn't really the format I was expecting. Had a chat with a lot of potential supervisors too about their various projects, so that was good. The only thing is they don't make offers for a particular project.. you decide only after you arrive.. sort of off-putting. Also they won't be able to offer the co-tutelle/joint PhD route like they led me to believe.
How are your applications going? :smile: Did it go well on Thursday?

That's sort of put-off but meanwhile you could come up with your research and speak with those supervisors you met. Be in touch with them its better.

My interview is on next week Thursday. All done with applications, its the waiting period now.
Urgh! I have an interview at Edinburgh on the 14th... yes, valentines day.. and a TUESDAY - That means missing lectures you mean horrible people!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply