The Student Room Group

3 vs 4 A2s

I am currently taking History, Math, Economics and Physics at AS and am thinking of applying for PPE at Oxford and PP at LSE.

Although I think I could still get good A2 grades with all of them, I just feel Physics isn't really where my interests lie and my teacher is leaving (only good one in the school!).

Would it disadvantage me taking three A2s? Any help?

Scroll to see replies

A*A*A* is better than A*AAC.

Do 3 If you feel that physics is going to cause your downfall. Besides, Physics is hardly useful for PPE anyway..
Reply 2
A*A*A*A*>A*A*A*
Just telling the facts.
And I am not saying that you should take four A-Levels if you don't enjoy physics and couldn't cope with taking four subjects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm taking 4 A2's and I don't regret it but it is a lot of work :/

Just think though, one year of hard work could set you up for life :wink:
Normally I'd say take the four if you think you can, but sounds like you should drop physics - there's no point doing a subject that you dislike.
Reply 5
You need at least 5 A2s to get into Oxford.
Reply 6
If you're hearts not in it, don't do it. Just think, all the time you study for physics, you could be shoring the other 3 up. I'd say the fact that you've even made this thread means that you should drop physics
Reply 7
Original post by Zhy

No you don't
Reply 8
Original post by Zhy

Not true, my brother's friend's cousin who knew a guy that used to go to his old school five years ago said that an admissions tutor at Oxford once told him you need at least eleventy thousand A2s.
You'd be better off doing 3 A2s and getting As and A*s than doing 4 and getting Bs :smile:
Original post by v2p
Not true, my brother's friend's cousin who knew a guy that used to go to his old school five years ago said that an admissions tutor at Oxford once told him you need at least eleventy thousand A2s.

That's rubbish. I contacted Magdalen and they said that with the introduction of the A* grade you only need 1024 A2s.
Reply 11
I'm doing 4 A2s (English lit., maths, spanish and politics) and really regret it. If you're certain of what you want to do at uni, I'd recommend dropping the subject that will contribute least to your course. I'm finding it hard to dedicate enough time to each subject and wish I had dropped Politics (the most content-heavy and irrelevant of my subjects).
You'll be fine with 3. I did 3 and have 5 offers from good unis. My friend has 3 and she applied to LSE too and got an offer for Law. There's no point suffering through a subject you don't enjoy when you aren't at all disadvantaged by dropping it.
Three is sufficient at A2. 4 is optimal and 5 can look impressive if, and only if, you can pull it off.

In your case it obviously sounds like you dislike Physics, in which case you're likely to have a better time in Year 13 if you drop it. No need to take the extra workload if you do not particularly like it.
Reply 14
You would be at a disadvantage if you were compared to someone with 4 A levels but most/all uni's really ask for 3. I only do 3 (I got a E in my 4th AS subject xD) and still got offers from the uni's that I want to go to. I'd suggest that you look up on the uni sites that you wish to go to too see what they ask for.
Original post by Nick526
No you don't

If you couldn't sense the sarcasm in that post then you need to get out more.
Quality > Quantity. Taking 3 A Levels won't disadvantage you at all.

If you're not enjoying Physics, I'm confused as to why you want to continue doing it, especially since you want to study PPE not, you know, something Physics related.
Original post by wombat10
I am currently taking History, Math, Economics and Physics at AS and am thinking of applying for PPE at Oxford and PP at LSE.

Although I think I could still get good A2 grades with all of them, I just feel Physics isn't really where my interests lie and my teacher is leaving (only good one in the school!).

Would it disadvantage me taking three A2s? Any help?

Don't bother if it's not something you enjoy. I only do 3 and I was fine with Cambridge and LSE (mind you it was for maths), it won't matter especially considering the fact it's irrelevant to your subject.
Reply 18
considering offers are only awarded based on 3 a2s no it wouldnt be a disadvantage.
I dropped from 4 at AS to three at A2. Had a massive impact on my grades, doing 4 at A2 is just a waste of time for most courses.

Quick Reply

Latest