The Student Room Group

edexcel biology unit 2 and 3b

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How are any of you so sure that the past ones don't come?
Reply 21
Original post by verdikt
How are any of you so sure that the past ones don't come?

nope. i am not sure. But i think the ones that didnt come are more likely to come..
Reply 22
In jan 2010 there's a question on drawing a flow chart. Does anyone have any idea on how to draw it?
Original post by danger-.-
umm do u have the specimen by any chance ? if yes could you plz send me a link !

There you go:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/Biology-Practical-Alternative-SAMs.pdf

good luck :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by demdil
nope. i am not sure. But i think the ones that didnt come are more likely to come..

Arrgh, it's gonna be a complete bit. Those 2 practicals are kinda hard to comprehend.

Anyone planning to revise mitosis + totipotency here?

Also in a Teachers Spec book, there are 2 methods given for observing mitosis. Do we have to learn both of them? They're fairly similar and frankly I love orcein ethanoic cause its a wicked name :P
Reply 25

thank you !!! =) =)

wish you luck too ! :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by smj
In jan 2010 there's a question on drawing a flow chart. Does anyone have any idea on how to draw it?

Just basic drawing of flowchart from the account given. Examiners Report showed this guy who did it in a real shabby way by providing way too many points but achieved full four marks.

I'd write: observation of cure -> trial on small group of people -> trial on 163 patients -> finding out correct dosage and recording findings
Reply 27
Original post by verdikt
Arrgh, it's gonna be a complete bit. Those 2 practicals are kinda hard to comprehend.

Anyone planning to revise mitosis + totipotency here?

Also in a Teachers Spec book, there are 2 methods given for observing mitosis. Do we have to learn both of them? They're fairly similar and frankly I love orcein ethanoic cause its a wicked name :P

do you have a link to the teachers spec book? (btw, you dont have to learn both of the methods for observing mitosis, but if you read both and get the idea it's enough)..
Reply 28
Original post by demdil
do you have a link to the teachers spec book? (btw, you dont have to learn both of the methods for observing mitosis, but if you read both and get the idea it's enough)..

Sorry mate, I only have the A2 in my computer.
Reply 29
Thanks alot!!! good luck 2 all doin the paper tomorrow
Original post by MarshmallowBob
yeah the daphnia came up in the specimen paper. i guess we are left with 2 experiments. but to be on the safe side just know all of them lol.

I made a table, looking at all the experiments that came up from 20010-2012. This is what I got:

June: Q1= beetroot experiment, Q2= genetic testing

Jan: Question 1= Antimicrobial effect, Question 2= Modern drug testing compared to drug testing in william withering's time
June: Q1= Enzymes (initial rate of reaction), Q2= conservation of species in zoos

Jan: Q1= mineral deficiency, Q2= acidification of oceans
June: Q1= plant fibres, Q2= leukemia disease (diseases in general)

Jan: Q1= DCPIP (vitamin C concentration), Q2= research on stem cells

The one that hasn't appeared in any year, is the root tip stain experiment, where the stages of mitosis have to be described. I think mitosis is bound to come up in the Unit 3B tomorrow!
Original post by SpiritWalnut21568
I made a table, looking at all the experiments that came up from 20010-2012. This is what I got:

Jan: Question 1= Antimicrobial effect, Question 2= Modern drug testing compared to drug testing in william withering's time
June: Q1= Enzymes (initial rate of reaction), Q2= conservation of species in zoos

The one that hasn't appeared in any year, is the root tip stain experiment, where the stages of mitosis have to be described. I think mitosis is bound to come up in the Unit 3B tomorrow!

if you notice all the first Questions have a graph. with the root tip squash test what graph will you draw?
Reply 32
who have the answer notes for SNAB ?
Reply 33

You forgot totipotency with explants.
if you notice all the first Questions have a graph. with the root tip squash test what graph will you draw?

Actually that's a good question. I seriously don't know. Mitosis could come up on the 2nd question, in an article?
Actually that's a good question. I seriously don't know. Mitosis could come up on the 2nd question, in an article?

I've been thinking. What if, the 1st question is about totipotency. And then, the article is about mitosis??
I've been thinking. What if, the 1st question is about totipotency. And then, the article is about mitosis??

OMG HAHAHA this is just crazy! loool. edexcel is mind F-ing us right now. lool.
memorize totipotency and mitosis> goto the exam> open first page *inception drums*> mouth drops open. lol
Reply 37

Mitotic index is the only calculation afaik.
Reply 38
Original post by verdikt
Sorry mate, I only have the A2 in my computer.

no problem :smile:
Reply 39

my opinion; totiopotency may come tomorrow. if it's mtosis they may give pictures and ask which stage the cells are at.. Still we sould do more of "mitosis and totiopotency" than the other experiments. Each year one of the 9 AS experiments came . So now only 2 experiments are left.. we should know the two really well..

Quick Reply