The Student Room Group

tried to make myself sick

cos i ate something i shouldnt. long story. im not bullimic.

but i couldnt get anything up and now my chest hurts.

why ? :frown:
Reply 1
What did you eat?
Reply 2
Original post by NR09
What did you eat?

far too much chocolate:angry:
This isn't good for your health.

Out of curiosity what did you eat that was so bad?
There could be 2 reasons, one is that the strain of gagging and vomiting caused it or two because too much tried to come up your oesophagus at once.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

That's bulimic behaviour, dear.
I've been there. Just don't make a habit of it, like I did. Making yourself sick, by the way, for something like eating too much chocolate, does sound like a bulimic action. And it's addictive. I lost two stone over the space of two weeks because I'd lust do it every time I ate- and this was with no history of anything- I didn't consider myself to be bulimic because it was such a new thing. Then I passed out at work.

As for why your chest hurts, the same happened to me for a bit as well. Mostly it was when I couldn't successfully vomit, so it could be the fact that your oesophagus became stretched with the amount of food that got stuck if you couldn't bring it up.

Honestly, do yourself a favour and don't do it again.
Reply 7
I've been there. Just don't make a habit of it, like I did. Making yourself sick, by the way, for something like eating too much chocolate, does sound like a bulimic action. And it's addictive. I lost two stone over the space of two weeks because I'd lust do it every time I ate- and this was with no history of anything- I didn't consider myself to be bulimic because it was such a new thing. Then I passed out at work.

As for why your chest hurts, the same happened to me for a bit as well. Mostly it was when I couldn't successfully vomit, so it could be the fact that your oesophagus became stretched with the amount of food that got stuck if you couldn't bring it up.

Honestly, do yourself a favour and don't do it again.

Hey, I've always wondered how on earth being sick can be addictive, because it has always felt so horrible for me when I'm ill. I guess maybe the desire to get rid of what you've eaten overrides the unpleasantness of it? Just curious...
Reply 8
If you've eaten too much of anything, you'll throw up naturally, no need to make yourself vomit.
Original post by ummm
Hey, I've always wondered how on earth being sick can be addictive, because it has always felt so horrible for me when I'm ill. I guess maybe the desire to get rid of what you've eaten overrides the unpleasantness of it? Just curious...

Even though I did it, and found it addictive, I don't really understand why either. I know that I hated myself for doing it every time, but still knew that I was going to do it again. I haven't done it for just over a month, and have no intention of doing it again, but I'm still getting urges to do it every now and then... I think it was the control factor- I've just been through a really rough break up (About 2 months ago) and my ex has found herself a new man. (Oh yeah, I'm a guy btw). My nan's just gone into hospital for what has been described by the doctor's as "probably the last time", and three of my best friends have just been killed. My life seems to just be spiralling away, and throwing up was just something I still had a level of control over. I needed something that I could say was my fault.

I don't really know how relevant that is to the OP though.
Reply 10
Your chest hurts because you strain the muscles trying to push up what you are vomiting. But it does sound like you have a problem, we all eat too much food now and again, but you shouldn't be trying to vomit it up.
Reply 11
I'm not bullimic but I can totally understand how it can be addictive - when I'm ill i tend to throw up a lot and it actually feels quite nice. I like the feeling of complete emptying and cleansing it gives. but not having any energy would be horrible, i need my food!
Reply 12
Original post by canŵio
I'm not bullimic but I can totally understand how it can be addictive - when I'm ill i tend to throw up a lot and it actually feels quite nice. I like the feeling of complete emptying and cleansing it gives. but not having any energy would be horrible, i need my food!

I agree with this, it's a vicious circle you end up in it;s so addictive. Purging too much is not good for your body though, your body will lose most of the water it needs. And your tonsils might end up swelling! Make sure you drink water, and avoid throwing up
Reply 13
Original post by sitbywolf
I agree with this, it's a vicious circle you end up in it;s so addictive. Purging too much is not good for your body though, your body will lose most of the water it needs. And your tonsils might end up swelling! Make sure you drink water, and avoid throwing up

yes when i was last ill i threw up so much that it pretty much ruined my body. it left me so dehydrated i had to go to hospital and nearly had a heart attack! so throwing up can be really dangerous!!!
Reply 14
You do realise that vomitting does more damage than nearly anything you stick down your throat right? there's a reason our body only vomits from large amounts of toxins or massive excesses of stuff that just can't fit anywhere... (think binge drinking and stuffing your gob with a kebab after)
you're bringing up all the acid from your stomach into the esophagus, an alkaline area that's pretty damn delicate, by forcing yourself to vomit you're essentially going into a chemistry lab and downing a beaker of hydrochloric acid...
There's a reason nobody ever feels good after vomiting...
Reply 15

There is no such thing as eating too much chocolate :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest