The Student Room Group

book to read for optometry

I am very interested about the eye and i want to do optometry at university. i want to know what book would be good, relevant and easy to understand as im still doing my A-levels at the moment.
Reply 1
Original post by thestudent_154
I am very interested about the eye and i want to do optometry at university. i want to know what book would be good, relevant and easy to understand as im still doing my A-levels at the moment.

your in luck. im a early qualified optician speaking. if you live in london or near london, you can go and visit the college of optometrists libary it has EVERTTHING eye related. you just need to make an appointment. otherwise. in terms of books all eye one obviously are all clinical an not easy to understand.. I would say the best thing is to do some work experience in an optician, work in one and find out what the career is like .. I cna tell you one thing. It is a very demanding and stressfull job. people come to you with problems and you got to sort it out. its like being a doctor. sometimes you have to refer people to eye doctor,sent them to eye casualty, refer to gp. recheck them

and you have to do contact lens work. I dunno if whsmith or elsewhere might have some optometry books. email unis' and have a look at the course details..

but best thing really go and do some work experiene in and optician , then you'll get a real insight. .
Original post by thestudent_154

The problem with reading books for optometry is they are very clinical - you'll read about a lot of things that you won't have the practical knowledge to understand. For example, you could read about the process of finding a prescription (called 'refraction') ... but it makes no sense until you've actually held the instruments and performed the procedure.

You're better off getting some experience with an optometrist that you can discuss, and maybe try and read some recent copies of something like Optometry Today - you'll be more up to date with relevant issues, which will look good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending