The Student Room Group

Accidentally scraped a parked car

I was pulling into a space forwards and scraped the other car. The woman in the car was so p*ssed off - I know it was my fault but it was a total accident. She took my name, insurance company and phone number, I took her name and insurance company. It was a tiny scrape - I didn't even feel or hear it (despite having my windows open). Her car looked like someone had wiped mud off the side (I couldn't see any of my paint on her car) and my car has a minimal graze with a tiny bit of grey paint from her car.

I don't know what to do now. Will she get over it and just take it as one of life's accidents? Or will she get it sorted with insurance. What do I need to do (I've written down my side of what happened) but do I need to phone MY insurance company and tell them...or do I wait to see if I hear from her insurance?

I didn't say it was my fault (even though it was as she was parked and I was parking) but I did apologise (a lot!!). Any advice?

If she contacts her insurance then what happens? Do they contact mine who in turn contact me?
How does it all get sorted?

First time this has ever happened to me - had a car for about 18 months but only really just started driving regularly. I know it was totally my fault but I'm freaking out about what will happen next - any ideas on how much it will cost? Will my insurance (fully comp) cover it? Will it make my insurance cost rocket?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, maybe you should contact her. If she really does want it sorted then you might be able to pay for it yourself, rather than through insurance to keep your no claims.

If hers was a knackered car it would be pretty harsh of her to claim for it, I know if it were me in one of my string of bangers I really wouldn't give a flying ****.
Who the hell makes insurance claims for a scratch? I don't understand some people...
If its that small it'll probably cost less to fix than her excess would be so she wouldn't end up claiming
Reply 4
Original post by clarusblue
If its that small it'll probably cost less to fix than her excess would be so she wouldn't end up claiming

Except she won't pay her excess, as she'll be claiming off of the OP's insurance, not hers.

OP - You can offer to pay for the repairs in cash, as this will save losing any no claims bonus you have earned so far, but the decision is up to her, so if she says she wants to go through insurance there's not really much you do about it. :frown:
Original post by TheSownRose
Who the hell makes insurance claims for a scratch? I don't understand some people...

Quite a lot of idiots. That is why when parking be ultra careful. Some people will complain at the hint of damage and also complain of pre existing damage. (insurance fraud)

OP you should contact her to settle privately but no doubt she will present an unreasonble bill.
Reply 6
Original post by Potential Trigger
Quite a lot of idiots. That is why when parking be ultra careful. Some people will complain at the hint of damage and also complain of pre existing damage. (insurance fraud)

OP you should contact her to settle privately but no doubt she will present an unreasonble bill.

If she does you're well within your rights to ask to see copies of the receipts to make sure you're only actually paying for the damage you need to.
Reply 7
id have refused to hand over my details for a scratch to be honest told her to do one its a scratch and **** happens
Reply 8
Original post by kopite493
id have refused to hand over my details for a scratch to be honest told her to do one its a scratch and **** happens

And she'd probably call the police.

As much as you may not want to face up to it, you've damaged her property, and now have to fix it. You don't get a choice in that.
Reply 9
I've done it before. You could try calling her and asking if she'd allow you to pay for the scratch repair without going through the insurance companies? (Small scratches can be repaired very easily) I don't know what else you could do, you've apologised massively so you've got to hope she is reasonable and also be wary that IF she does go through the insurance company that she doesn't try to say you've caused other damage (which was there before you scratched) as a lot of people do that.
Original post by Dan1909
And she'd probably call the police.

As much as you may not want to face up to it, you've damaged her property, and now have to fix it. You don't get a choice in that.

well considering ive done that before i beg to differ
Reply 11
Original post by kopite493
well considering ive done that before i beg to differ

Well then you're a collosal arse. Would you be fine to wake up tomorrow morning to find somebody had damaged your car, and just left a note saying "didn't feel like paying, so I left... lol". You wouldn't, so stop being scum.

Also, if she were to note down your numberplate and call the police, you could quite easily be charged with leaving the scene of an accident, which I truly hope happens, you've earned it.
Reply 12
You're supposed to contact your insurance company in the event of any incident, regardless of who was at fault. Some people might choose to wait to see if the other party contact their own insurance company. Its up to you.

I was rear ended in a carpark, by an elderly man. It was his fault but he tried to blame me, he wasn't even looking where he was going. I took photos of the 'damage' he claimed to be on his front bumper - it was slightly out of line. There was no damage to my car, and no transfer of paint on either car.He said he wanted £600 for a new bumper. His car was a 10 year old corsa, for which a bumper would have cost £80 delivered from Parts Gateway. How many bumpers did he want!!

I took photos of his car in case he would go and deliberately damage it and blame me. Swapped details. Never heard from him again, I think taking the photos must have scared him off as he knew I wasn't going to be ripped off.

So in the event of any accident, no matter how small, its always best to take photos in case you need evidence for future reference.

If you read the policy docs from any insurance company it will tell you not to accept responsibility, and not to enter into any negotiations, ie: leave it to the insurers to sort out.

As for calling the police after a small incident such as a scratch in a carpark, there's no way they would come as nobody was injured.
Reply 13
Original post by Daisy2

As for calling the police after a small incident such as a scratch in a carpark, there's no way they would come as nobody was injured.

No, but if somebody refused to give details and then left, it then becomes a criminal offence, which the police would be interested in.
did you take her phone number too?
if you did give her a call and offer to pay for repairs

someone reversed into my dads car in a car park in the snow, and although there wasnt a mark on dads car (we'd never have known) they left their details on a slip of paper under windscreen wiper bless em !
x
Reply 15
Original post by acceber123
I was pulling into a space forwards and scraped the other car. The woman in the car was so p*ssed off - I know it was my fault but it was a total accident. She took my name, insurance company and phone number, I took her name and insurance company. It was a tiny scrape - I didn't even feel or hear it (despite having my windows open). Her car looked like someone had wiped mud off the side (I couldn't see any of my paint on her car) and my car has a minimal graze with a tiny bit of grey paint from her car.

I don't know what to do now. Will she get over it and just take it as one of life's accidents? Or will she get it sorted with insurance. What do I need to do (I've written down my side of what happened) but do I need to phone MY insurance company and tell them...or do I wait to see if I hear from her insurance?

I didn't say it was my fault (even though it was as she was parked and I was parking) but I did apologise (a lot!!). Any advice?

If she contacts her insurance then what happens? Do they contact mine who in turn contact me?
How does it all get sorted?

First time this has ever happened to me - had a car for about 18 months but only really just started driving regularly. I know it was totally my fault but I'm freaking out about what will happen next - any ideas on how much it will cost? Will my insurance (fully comp) cover it? Will it make my insurance cost rocket?

I hope you took a picture of the damage done...........because these days you get drivers who claim on others for things that didn't even happen :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Daisy2
You're supposed to contact your insurance company in the event of any incident, regardless of who was at fault. Some people might choose to wait to see if the other party contact their own insurance company. Its up to you.

I was rear ended in a carpark, by an elderly man. It was his fault but he tried to blame me, he wasn't even looking where he was going. I took photos of the 'damage' he claimed to be on his front bumper - it was slightly out of line. There was no damage to my car, and no transfer of paint on either car.He said he wanted £600 for a new bumper. His car was a 10 year old corsa, for which a bumper would have cost £80 delivered from Parts Gateway. How many bumpers did he want!!

I took photos of his car in case he would go and deliberately damage it and blame me. Swapped details. Never heard from him again, I think taking the photos must have scared him off as he knew I wasn't going to be ripped off.

So in the event of any accident, no matter how small, its always best to take photos in case you need evidence for future reference.

If you read the policy docs from any insurance company it will tell you not to accept responsibility, and not to enter into any negotiations, ie: leave it to the insurers to sort out.

So a law can be broken if it's a 'minor' break?

FAILURE TO STOP AFTER AN ACCIDENT
It is an offence for a person being the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle and owing to the presence of that vehicle on the road or other such public place an accident having occurred whereby damage or injury was caused did fail to stop and give his name and address and identification marks of the vehicle.
Road Traffic Act 1988 s 170 (2)
Reply 17
Original post by tomrw
So a law can be broken if it's a 'minor' break?

FAILURE TO STOP AFTER AN ACCIDENT
It is an offence for a person being the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle and owing to the presence of that vehicle on the road or other such public place an accident having occurred whereby damage or injury was caused did fail to stop and give his name and address and identification marks of the vehicle.
Road Traffic Act 1988 s 170 (2)

Why have you responded to my post by telling me it is an offence to fail to stop after an accident? You have simply stated the obvious which every driver knows (or should). I did not suggest that anyone should fail to stop after an accident, nor did I ever do so myself.

How dare you imply that I said anyone should fail to stop after an accident!
I don't know how you missed the part in my earlier post where I said I took photos and swapped details with the other driver - So how exactly is that 'failing to stop'?

Taken from insurance policy documents:
'Get the details of all involved parties.You need to know:
1.Driver's name and driver's licence details
2.Insurance company name, policy number and contact details
3. Car details and car licence plate number
4. Contact details of any witnesses including name, address and phone number so that you can contact them later. Follow up with the witnesses after the accident and get their written details of the accident.
5. Photos - If you are carrying a camera or a mobile phone that takes pictures, get photos of the accident scene, the vehicles and any injuries that were caused by the accident.'
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dan1909
Well then you're a collosal arse. Would you be fine to wake up tomorrow morning to find somebody had damaged your car, and just left a note saying "didn't feel like paying, so I left... lol". You wouldn't, so stop being scum.

Also, if she were to note down your numberplate and call the police, you could quite easily be charged with leaving the scene of an accident, which I truly hope happens, you've earned it.

depends how you look at it, personally i think he was a collosal arse it was a scratch on a ford fiesta, theres no way if it was reversed id dream of doing

secondly it was lie 1.5 years ago i dont think i is getting pulled on it know
Reply 19
I wasn't implying you said that and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. What I meant was even if it was a minor scratch the police SHOULD still come out as a law has been broken.
Original post by Daisy2
Why have you responded to my post by telling me it is an offence to fail to stop after an accident? You have simply stated the obvious which every driver knows (or should). I did not suggest that anyone should fail to stop after an accident, nor did I ever do so myself.

How dare you imply that I said anyone should fail to stop after an accident!
I don't know how you missed the part in my earlier post where I said I took photos and swapped details with the other driver - So how exactly is that 'failing to stop'?

Taken from insurance policy documents:
'Get the details of all involved parties.You need to know:
1.Driver's name and driver's licence details
2.Insurance company name, policy number and contact details
3. Car details and car licence plate number
4. Contact details of any witnesses including name, address and phone number so that you can contact them later. Follow up with the witnesses after the accident and get their written details of the accident.
5. Photos - If you are carrying a camera or a mobile phone that takes pictures, get photos of the accident scene, the vehicles and any injuries that were caused by the accident.'

Latest