The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just give Argentina the oil there and I'd be prepared to bet they suddenly don't want the islands any more.
Original post by Sharri5
You should give them the Faulklands. That's who they belong to anyway. Typical british arrogance to take things that don't belong to you. kneel down and do what is right.

Sorry but the Falklands became a British colony way back in 1833 long before Argentina ever became a country. The falkland islanders want to be part of Britain and it is our duty to protect them. the only reason Argentina wants them is to take away attention from its own problems and for the OIL. If you are living in the UK please LEAVE!
Reply 42
I guess by sending their big battleships and fighter jets
Reply 43
I am reading these posts and realising there is colonizer's blood in this nation!

Colonizing and 'putting' British people on the island does not make the island British.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by I do
I am reading these posts and realising there is colonizer's blood in this nation!

Colonizing and 'putting' British people on the island does not make the island British.

So does colonizing North America make it not America, does colonizing Canada not make it Canadian. And what about your thoughts on Israel.
Not to mention the fact that Argentina was a colony of Spain and they slaughtered the native population there. Are you an Argy?
Humans have been migrating over the world for thousands of years, who is to say who owns what land.
And once again the islands became a colony in 1833 before Argentina ever became a country?
No Britain does not have colonizer's blood, it simply wants to protect the rights of its citizens to choose which country they belong to. :p:mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by anarchism101
Just give Argentina the oil there and I'd be prepared to bet they suddenly don't want the islands any more.

Why? It isn't their oil? Can we claim natural resources from France if we threaten them long enough?
Reply 46
Original post by I do

Well surely by this logic then Argentina should not exist?

In the case of the Falklands they were uninhabited, in the case of Argentina the Spanish settlers massacred the natives.
Reply 47
Original post by I do
I am reading this post and realising there is colonizer's blood in this nation!

Colonizing and 'puting' British people on the island does not make the island British.

Neither does claiming the land as yours purely because it lies close by (if you call ~300 miles close!)

The islands originally did not "belong" to anyone, as their were NO indigenous people to claim them. Over the years a number of nations claimed sovereignty over the Falklands including French, Spanish and Portuguese. The longest existing settlement was established by the Brits, as a continuation of their claims over the islands (claims established prior to Argentina's very existence). Britain has for many years respected the islanders right to self determination and have promised to continue to support and protect her citizens for as long as the Falkland islanders wish to remain British.

Personally I believe we need not worry at all. One of the few useful points to come from the Treaty of Lisbon was European recognition of the British claim to the islands. Add to that the US support, and the UN charter that respects the rights of self-determination, Britain can sit back and relax, knowing any aggressive action by the Argentines will only bolster British claims.

Just 2p worth :tongue:
Original post by Organ
Why? It isn't their oil? Can we claim natural resources from France if we threaten them long enough?

I'd say they have more of a claim having their entire country near than the UK does because it settled a few people there a long time ago purely for the purpose of getting resources like this whose descendants happen to still be there.
Reply 49
Original post by Otkem
I am fed up of having my taxes go on supporting some useless bits of rock that no more belong to Antarticta than they do to England.

useless rock aye? i take it you havent heard about the oil and gas reserves sitting underneath it then have you?
Reply 50
Well, Do we challenge the idea that Britain has power over Falklands today because it was a colonizer? Did the Penguins ask Brits to go there?
The same about all the nations which claimed sovereignty they all were hunting for new territories, some of them still do have colonies.

Self-determination? are you serious about this? Brits saying no to Britain?
It is like asking an adopted child who does he want? a mom with whom he lived all life or real mom who he has never seen in life and who is ugly and poor?!

UN Security Council of course is a tool in hand of Britain, as UK enjoys the veto power.
And Lisbon Treaty recognition makes the subject more dodgy, as it could not be fair, as UK is a part of the EU not the Argentina and this recognition is a subject of political bargain which UK got from other 26 friends of the club to make its 'argument' stronger.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by cl_steele
useless rock aye? i take it you havent heard about the oil and gas reserves sitting underneath it then have you?

Initial surveys of the seas surrounding the islands show that the reserves aren't as extensive as first thought.
Original post by I do
Well, Do we challenge the idea that Britain has power over Falklands today because it was a colonizer? Did the Penguins ask Brits to go there?
The same about all the nations which claimed sovereignty they all were hunting for new territories, some of them still do have colonies.

Self-determination? are you serious about this? Brits saying no to Britain?
It is like asking an adopted child who does he want? a mom with whom he lived all life or real mom who he has never seen in life and who is ugly and poor?!

UN Security Council of course is a tool in hand of Britain, as UK enjoys the veto power.
And Lisbon Treaty recognition makes the subject more dodgy, as it could not be fair, as UK is a part of the EU not the Argentina and this recognition is a subject of political bargain which UK got from other 26 friends of the club to make its 'argument' stronger.

Are you genuinely arguing that sovereignty over the islands belongs to the penguins and not the humans who live there?
nuke em
Reply 54
Original post by Otkem
Initial surveys of the seas surrounding the islands show that the reserves aren't as extensive as first thought.

beggars cant be choosers in this oil dependant world of ours though with the dwindling reserves in the north sea and the prospect of loosing them to the scots soon and the volatility of the middle east.
Reply 55
Original post by Otkem
Because I don't want to pay to keep it British. If the islanders don't mind paying the cost of keeping the British Army there, then I am more than happy for them to remain British.

It's hardly the islanders fault that Argentina is a constant threat against their right to self determination.
Original post by I do

Erm, yes it ****ing does.
Reply 57
I wonder if the daily-mail-esque Argentine newspaper 'La nación' will see this thread and then write a story: 'British students favour nuking Buenos Aires'. I can already foresee their headline.
Reply 58
Original post by Callum828
Are you genuinely arguing that sovereignty over the islands belongs to the penguins and not the humans who live there?

Falklands islands were uninhabited when discovered by Europeans, so there were some Pinguins who probably were unable to invite Brits to settle there! :biggrin: :biggrin:

The sad part of story is that under the Britain:
Even penguins were exploited for oil. Rockhopper and Gentoo penguins were rendered down in trypots from 1860 until the 1880s.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by I do
Falklands islands were uninhabited when discovered by Europeans, so there were some Pinguins who probably were unable to invite Brits to settle there!

The sad part of story is that under the Britain:

Oh noes! Let's all emigrate, we're exploiting the field mice of Britain. :frown: