The Student Room Group

Core 4 Differentiation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by raheem94
I am doing A-Level further maths, i already have an A* in A-Level maths, TenOfThem is a teacher, so who are you referring to people who won't be giving correct advice and are not experts in maths?

We don't have so much spare time to give people wrong advice.

getting an a* in maths doesnt make you an expert in maths, instead it just means that you have learnt your alevel maths syllabus to a good enough extent that allows you do to well in your a level exams and get an a*

an expert in maths is someone who has got a degree in maths i.e your maths teacher.

im not saying that people on here are stupid or anything but not everyone on here may be giving the correct advice so just ask your maths teacher if you want to be 100% certain
Original post by brownieboy

an expert in maths is someone who has got a degree in maths i.e your maths teacher.

What proportion of maths teachers do you think have a degree in maths

im not saying that people on here are stupid or anything but not everyone on here may be giving the correct advice so just ask your maths teacher if you want to be 100% certain

You are correct that people give poor advice sometimes, it is ironic that the only poor advice on this thread was given by you
Reply 22
Original post by TenOfThem

You are correct that people give poor advice sometimes, it is ironic that the only poor advice on this thread was given by you

So true :smile:.
Reply 23

By the way, can you give an example of wrong advice being given on the maths forum. Its extremely rare on TSR.

For me asking my maths teacher rarely works out because all of my maths teachers are reluctant to attempt the questions i give them, because most of them are difficult questions. So TSR is the more helpful resource for me, at least you get an answer as most people give it a go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
What proportion of maths teachers do you think have a degree in maths

to be a maths teacher you need a degree in maths you fool.

how am i giving poor advice? all im saying is that it is better to ask questions re maths problems to your teacher, than asking people on a forum page.

do you disagree?

Incorrect.

how am i giving poor advice? all im saying is that it is better to ask questions re maths problems to your teacher, than asking people on a forum page.

Your advice was woefully poor - this forum is full of Maths 'experts', though helping with a question like this requires no expertise, just a thorough understanding of C4 trig.
Reply 26

do you disagree?

Wrong.

'Tenofthem' is a maths teacher (I'm assuming) so I think she knows what she's talking about :smile:

Plus, my own maths teacher has his degree in Economics, and my Further Maths teacher has a degree in Physics, so this kinda blows your idea out of the water.

Anyway, students may have different ways of doing things or might be able to explain things in a way that people understand so it's not really a bad idea to ask on a forum, particularly if you won't be seeing your maths teacher for another 2 weeks!

Oh dear ... how naive

how am i giving poor advice?

Post 11 was complete nonsense
Reply 28
please help me someone..well this isnt differentiation..it's binomial expansion..how do i work out binomial expansion of 3 / 2-3x ? i worked it out but the answer was different : mark scheme stated it's equal to 1/2 (1 - 3/2 x) to power -1 ... dont understand
Original post by Raj K
please help me someone..well this isnt differentiation..it's binomial expansion..how do i work out binomial expansion of 3 / 2-3x ? i worked it out but the answer was different : mark scheme stated it's equal to 1/2 (1 - 3/2 x) to power -1 ... dont understand

First rewrite 3 / 2-3x as 3(2-3x)^-1
Next take out the two to give 3.2^-1(1-1.5x)^-1 (I used 1.5 'cos fractions fail on the internet :P

Now you should have 1.5(1-1.5x)^-1

1.5 [ a + nx + blah blah blah] should give you your answer.
Perhaps it would have been better to start a new thread :smile:

323x=3(23x)1\frac{3}{2-3x} = 3(2-3x)^{-1}

(23x)1=21(13x2)1=12(13x2)1(2-3x)^{-1} = 2^{-1}(1-\frac{3x}{2})^{-1}= \frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{3x}{2})^{-1}

therefore

323x=32(13x2)1\frac{3}{2-3x} = \frac{3}{2}(1-\frac{3x}{2})^{-1}

(23x)1=21(13x2)1=12(13x2)1(2-3x)^{-1} = 2^{-1}(1-\frac{3x}{2})^{-1}= \frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{3x}{2})^{-1}

therefore

How do you do that maths notation stuff?
Just trying it out below, it's probably going to be a mess though :P :

Pi17(1sin2theta) \frac{Pi}{17}(1-sin^{2}theta)

Edit: haha it worked, but I don't know how to do anything else. Is there a guide anywhere?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Junaid96
First rewrite 3 / 2-3x as 3(2-3x)^-1
Next take out the two to give 3.2^-1(1-1.5x)^-1 (I used 1.5 'cos fractions fail on the internet :P

Now you should have 1.5(1-1.5x)^-1

1.5 [ a + nx + blah blah blah] should give you your answer.

THANKYOU ur the best!!!
Reply 33

therefore

THANKYOUUUUU!!! you're the best as well!! (:
Original post by Junaid96
How do you do that maths notation stuff?
Just trying it out below, it's probably going to be a mess though :P :

π17(1sin2θ) \frac{\pi}{17}(1-sin^{2}\theta)

Edit: haha it worked, but I don't know how to do anything else. Is there a guide anywhere?

Look higher up the page for the "How to use LaTex"

Do you see how easy it was for me to make your attempt even neater :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Look higher up the page for the "How to use LaTex"

Do you see how easy it was for me to make your attempt even neater :biggrin:

Indeed I do. Thanks :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Raj K
looool ok i'll take it back :biggrin:

Nooo :smile: thumbs up instead would be good I suppose XD

therefore

How do you get the latex to go down the page nicely like that, mine always looks horrible. Secondly in an exam if a question would you recommend writing out all the steps as you did there or is it all right to skip steps?

Quick Reply

Latest