The Student Room Group

Clueless American Needs Help! Didn't get into UCL, what's my next step?

Hi Everyone!

So I just need a bit of advice as I am an American and therefore not familiar with the universities in the UK and am definitely interested in attending a postgraduate program in the UK.

So this year, kind of on a whim, I applied to just UCL for Economic Policy. I got rejected and now as I am really serious about postgrad school I need to know what universities may be more "in my league" as I really don't want to face a whole load of rejections when I apply next year.

Some quick stats: From undergrad I have a 3.5 GPA (from what I know this is a solid 2:1 degree in the UK system). I did a semester of Environmental Economics at LSE as well as a semester in Israel. I have had pretty interesting internships in the US, London and in Israel. I'm looking at doing a degree in some kind of Economics (like international economics, development economics, economic policy).

So far my research has shown me that since I got rejected from UCL I should look at schools that are a bit more "second tier." These are the ones I've decided to apply to so far:
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Manchester
KCL (War Studies Dept for this one)
LSE (Hey, it might happen! but this is definitely a stretch, I know)
Bristol
Leeds

If anyone can give me any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Try Liverpool John Moores University.
University of the west of scotland is the best univeristy in scotland and 3rd best in the uk, you should apply there.
Reply 3
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Try Liverpool John Moores University.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into it.

I haven't seen it on any of the (admittedly few) rankings lists that I've looked at. I still do want to go to a school that is well regarded even if it's not a top school. So, anyway, is Liverpool John Moores well known for Economics?
Reply 4
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
University of the west of scotland is the best univeristy in scotland and 3rd best in the uk, you should apply there.

Same for University of the West of Scotland. I haven't seen it on my rankings lists. I know rankings are a sham, overall, but they do lure me. Is it widely renowned in Scotland (and the UK overall) as a good Econ school? I was obviously drawn to Glasgow because of its connection to Adam Smith! But thanks for the advice, I'll add it to my list!
Original post by ellemay816
Thanks! I'll definitely look into it.

I haven't seen it on any of the (admittedly few) rankings lists that I've looked at. I still do want to go to a school that is well regarded even if it's not a top school. So, anyway, is Liverpool John Moores well known for Economics?

This is so innocent that it has made me feel bad...

... Honestly now: Have a look at the Russel Group universities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group

They are all very well respected. I can't tell you what kind of university to look for, because I don't really understand the significance of your "3.5 GPA". All of those universities will be looking to take on 1:1 and the best 2:1 students.
I recommend not considering any University which you attend to be second tier. Do the best that you can.

Furthermore, don't be disheartened by rejection. Think of it as a blessing.

They are all very well respected. I can't tell you what kind of university to look for, because I don't really understand the significance of your "3.5 GPA". All of those universities will be looking to take on 1:1 and the best 2:1 students.

Aw what the hell, you crumble after a little bit of pressure! Almost had her going there!!!!
Reply 8
how can you consider the LSE as being a second tier Institution?

You really are clueless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9

Haha yes I am very innocent! The only British universities we know of in the US are Oxford and Cambridge. As an Econ student, I then heard of LSE, and then my semester at LSE taught me a bit more about unis in London, but not much. So I am seriously starting from scratch! I really don't know anything so thanks so much for the help. I'll definitely look to the Russell Group from now on.

My 3.5 GPA means that I have a 2:1, from what I've researched. It seems that a 3.3-3.6 translates to a 2:1 in the british system so it looks like I'm solidly in the middle of 2:1 degree. So I guess for the unis in the Russell Group I'd need really good references, personal statements and internship experience to make myself stand out?
Reply 10
Original post by IK237
how can you consider the LSE as being a second tier Institution?

You really are clueless.

i mentioned that I know LSE would be a stretch. I put it right on my list! And I definitely know it's a tough school because I did a semester there.
Hi Everyone!

So I just need a bit of advice as I am an American and therefore not familiar with the universities in the UK and am definitely interested in attending a postgraduate program in the UK.

So this year, kind of on a whim, I applied to just UCL for Economic Policy. I got rejected and now as I am really serious about postgrad school I need to know what universities may be more "in my league" as I really don't want to face a whole load of rejections when I apply next year.

Some quick stats: From undergrad I have a 3.5 GPA (from what I know this is a solid 2:1 degree in the UK system). I did a semester of Environmental Economics at LSE as well as a semester in Israel. I have had pretty interesting internships in the US, London and in Israel. I'm looking at doing a degree in some kind of Economics (like international economics, development economics, economic policy).

So far my research has shown me that since I got rejected from UCL I should look at schools that are a bit more "second tier." These are the ones I've decided to apply to so far:
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Manchester
Bristol
Leeds

Oh my dear please don't listen to these trolls.
University of the West of Scotland is NOT in the top 50 in the UK and same with Liverpool John Moores.

St Andrews
Edinburgh
Durham
Glasgow
KCL
Bristol
Leeds
Newcaslte
RHUL
Queen Mary
SOAS
Liverpool (uni of)
Exeter
Manchester

those are the ones you should def look at x
Hi Everyone!

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Manchester
Bristol
Leeds

St. Andrews
Warwick
Durham

These are all great universities (I applied and visited them and all).

I assume by second tier you mean anything below the "elite" universities, which is basically Oxbridge and Imperial, LSE and UCL. It's a bit wierd calling universities like Durham "second tier" though.

I wouldn't be put off from retrying UCL, just make a stronger application this time round.
My 3.5 GPA means that I have a 2:1, from what I've researched. It seems that a 3.3-3.6 translates to a 2:1 in the british system so it looks like I'm solidly in the middle of 2:1 degree. So I guess for the unis in the Russell Group I'd need really good references, personal statements and internship experience to make myself stand out?

Indeed.
Reply 14
Thanks everyone for the extra help! I'll definitely add a few of those universities to my list.

I am wondering, though, which schools would you definitely say are "second tier" and which would you say are still "top tier" but just not in the top 5 schools. I guess I just want a clearer idea of which schools would be a stretch (and therefore I'll need to work really hard on obtaining the best references and write the absolute best personal statement) and which schools could be more of a "safety" (a term we Americans use a lot) for someone with a 2:1 degree.

I guess I just really don't want to apply to 10 schools and get rejected from them all so i would definitely like a Safety School or two on the list!
Thanks everyone for the extra help! I'll definitely add a few of those universities to my list.

I am wondering, though, which schools would you definitely say are "second tier" and which would you say are still "top tier" but just not in the top 5 schools. I guess I just want a clearer idea of which schools would be a stretch (and therefore I'll need to work really hard on obtaining the best references and write the absolute best personal statement) and which schools could be more of a "safety" (a term we Americans use a lot) for someone with a 2:1 degree.

I guess I just really don't want to apply to 10 schools and get rejected from them all so i would definitely like a Safety School or two on the list!

KCL War studies department is AMAZING, if you want to go into the field, you'll find nowhere better.

Otherwise, Warwick (**** hole, but great uni) Durham and Edinburgh better all feature on your list. Though, these are all on a similar level to UCL :/

Top Tier: UCL, KCL, LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham, er, many others. :P

Past Oxbridge, in terms of prestige, they're on a similar level. In terms of academic prestige, they're all the same (ish).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by confusedexcited
KCL War studies department is AMAZING, if you want to go into the field, you'll find nowhere better.

Otherwise, Warwick (**** hole, but great uni) Durham and Edinburgh better all feature on your list. Though, these are all on a similar level to UCL :/

Top Tier: UCL, KCL, LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh, Durham, er, many others. :P

Past Oxbridge, in terms of prestige, they're on a similar level. In terms of academic prestige, they're all the same (ish).

Yes! I've heard amazing things about KCL's War Department and I would like to study development, which KCL does have a program in, so I figured I should at least try for KCL since the program is so great.

As for Durham and Warwick, they don't really have the programs I want, so I won't be applying to them. But I'll definitely be applying to KCL, LSE and Edinburgh. I feel like I have a chance to get into maybe one of these great schools because I have some unique internship experiences and I surpass all of their entry requirements (most of them ask for at least a 3.3 or 3.5 in American terms and I have a 3.5).

But I'm still looking for some "safety schools" so that I have some places to fall back on if I don't get into the elite schools.

But really, thanks everyone for everything thus far!
Reply 17
btw where have you studied you undergraduate degree?

Also, how well is the LSE known in the US?
Reply 18
I studied at Boston University in the States. It's ranked 64th in the world on this Guardian list http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/worlds-top-100-universities-2010

I don't think it's too well known in the UK, though.

As for LSE, I'm an Econ student so my friends, professors and I obviously know about it and all know it's an amazing school. but when I went to do my semester there I would tell random people "I'm going to LSE" and many of them would have no idea. So I guess it's well known in the Econ/Political Science field but it's not too well known outside of that.
Reply 19
I studied at Boston University in the States. It's ranked 64th in the world on this Guardian list http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/worlds-top-100-universities-2010

I don't think it's too well known in the UK, though.

As for LSE, I'm an Econ student so my friends, professors and I obviously know about it and all know it's an amazing school. but when I went to do my semester there I would tell random people "I'm going to LSE" and many of them would have no idea. So I guess it's well known in the Econ/Political Science field but it's not too well known outside of that.

Boston is a good University. I'm suprised UCL rejected you. Mabye it was because of the lack of enthusiasm in your personal statement?

Anyway you need to hurry with your applications as places are beginning to diminish especially since some of the top universities have seperate entry points for Domestic and International students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending