The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think I might go too. I shall be back after 8! :biggrin:
I hate coursework. I think that as teachers know you it influences thier marking. I don't really think that it is fair. In year 7, we did these CAT tests, which were supposed to predict your grades throughout your school life. However, in year 7-9 I was a rebel lol. I never concentrated and severely under-performed. All of the teachers hated me :colone:. Luckily, in year 10, I turned a new leaf. My CAT grades, as they were low because I took school as a doss, predicted me D/E in every subject. I excelled these, getting A* in many of my year 10 exams. But I think that teachers are still influenced by these grades and are judgemental about your work. I hope you understand what I am saying. They will mark, stereotyping your work based on your target grade and mark it around your target grade (hence my D in history coursework), and Cs in the English Coursework. Exams, on the otherhand, are marked by someone who doesn't know you, which is much fairer in my opinion as they are going to keep a very open mind, and they are trained to mark scripts, which teachers aren't (as far as I know). I personally think this is why I 'perform' better in exams.

Rant over :colone:

P.S. sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, I am typing this in a rush so I can get back to revision lol.

Tell me if you agree/disagree/ :biggrin:
Reply 8182
Original post by matty123
I

Disagree, most teachings are consistent with their marking and have no choice in the matter since they are moderated, and if their marks are out of line by 3 or more, the entire batch is moderated.

Plus it's good to have a solid chunk of your GCSE grade at an A* or your target. :smile:

1000% agree
Umm would an A* in C1a, C1b, C2, and Chemistry ISA, with only A in C3 constitute an A* overall in GCSE Chemistry (AQA)?
To the Dude above I totally agree I came to my current school in year nine and have been put in the lowest sets I have difficulty trying my best to move up however it seems in yr 11 now it's too late for me. Ok I need some to answer this: I got a C in the maths exam I want to do medicine more dentistry however with my math grade being crap I can't imagine ever doing the career I'm able to resit but in all honesty I have no passion for maths I plan to do only chemistry and biology NO maths can you help a fellow yr 11 out
Will I need to get a C or above in GCSE ICT to do Media Studies at college? I'm also doing Art and English at college and my predicted GCSE grades for those two subjects are good (both Cs). I've got a F in ICT though.
Original post by Sheel1
1000% agree

Plue :nutcase:

and I think I just fully discovered the extent of the smilies:sparta:
Gerard Butler... nuff said
Original post by InvertedLayman
Umm would an A* in C1a, C1b, C2, and Chemistry ISA, with only A in C3 constitute an A* overall in GCSE Chemistry (AQA)?

Yes, you can. I'm in the same situation and I can get a mid C and still get an A* overall. If you achieved 100% in everything, it's even better: you can get a borderline C (60 UMS) and get the required 360 UMS required to get an A* overall. I wouldn't be too cocky though...
(edited 11 years ago)
can somebody help me on this question please? I'm rubbish at Resistance been trying to understand it so i concluded that: if there resultant force = Accleration... BUT if it's in electricity it be the one trying to slow it down. ( is this correct )

Spoiler

Original post by g.k.galloway
Plue :nutcase:

Hehe plue is awesome :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lil-mazie
To the Dude above I totally agree I came to my current school in year nine and have been put in the lowest sets I have difficulty trying my best to move up however it seems in yr 11 now it's too late for me. Ok I need some to answer this: I got a C in the maths exam I want to do medicine more dentistry however with my math grade being crap I can't imagine ever doing the career I'm able to resit but in all honesty I have no passion for maths I plan to do only chemistry and biology NO maths can you help a fellow yr 11 out

I wish to do medicine also. Lots of people who want to do med. take maths for at least AS.. however you are not obliged to. most uni's do want a good gcse grade for maths though and you may need to look at the requirements at your sixth form to take chemistry? at my school you need an A in maths and a B in chem to take chem (weird I know...its due to the maths base in chem).
Whilst you don't enjoy it awfully much you may want to consider pushing for a B...it would really boost your chances as medicine is so competitive and you want to give yourself the best chance...:smile:

(soz for grammar etc...but I really can't be bothered I'm in mid revision mode...)
Original post by Epic Flawless
Yes, you can. I'm in the same situation and I can get a mid C and still get an A* overall. If you achieved 100% in everything, it's even better: you can get a borderline C (60 UMS) and get the required 360 UMS required to get an A* overall. I wouldn't be too cocky though...

Seriously? Wow I mean okay if this is wrong I have myself to blame but baaang, I can just get a B and come out with an A*. Awesome.

I also presume the same works for Physics and Biology. I do have enough time to teach Chemistry to A* but trust me it would mean study till 2am every day until the exam, and I might flop my other exams.

Edit: No I should aim for an A just to be safe though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8192
Original post by justanotherindigo
I'm pretty much in the same shoes as you aswell! But I have a long way to go....

Maths:more practise on geometry then I'm fine
English Lang: Ready
English Lit: Ready (except for poetry!)
Science: okay, not too bad:smile:
History: Ready
Citizenship: Ready
Business: A bit more practise with past papers
Arabic: Need more practise with writing skills:biggrin:

When do your exams start??:wink:
Good Luck!!

you take arabic ? :redface: are you an arab
Original post by g.k.galloway
I wish to do medicine also. Lots of people who want to do med. take maths for at least AS.. however you are not obliged to. most uni's do want a good gcse grade for maths though and you may need to look at the requirements at your sixth form to take chemistry? at my school you need an A in maths and a B in chem to take chem (weird I know...its due to the maths base in chem).
Whilst you don't enjoy it awfully much you may want to consider pushing for a B...it would really boost your chances as medicine is so competitive and you want to give yourself the best chance...:smile:

(soz for grammar etc...but I really can't be bothered I'm in mid revision mode...)

You can get into med. school without even an AS in Maths if you get good grades in all 3 sciences.

By good grades obviously I mean A's and now because of A* at A level, preferably A* in Biology or Chemistry (not sure).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by InvertedLayman
You can get into med. school without even an AS in Maths if you get good grades in all 3 sciences.

By good grades obviously I mean A's and now because of A* at A level, preferably A* in Biology or Chemistry (not sure).

Yep that was what I was saying, Its just that most people do take maths and apparently it does help with chem. etc.
A level wise all uni's now require AAA (i thinkkk) but cambridge and a few others require A*AA.. so yeh - not sure what it has to be in though (*cruises google*)

i've decided to take
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics

(all assuming nothing goes catastrophically down the toilet over the next 5/6 weeks lol)
I hate coursework. I think that as teachers know you it influences thier marking. I don't really think that it is fair. In year 7, we did these CAT tests, which were supposed to predict your grades throughout your school life. However, in year 7-9 I was a rebel lol. I never concentrated and severely under-performed. All of the teachers hated me :colone:. Luckily, in year 10, I turned a new leaf. My CAT grades, as they were low because I took school as a doss, predicted me D/E in every subject. I excelled these, getting A* in many of my year 10 exams. But I think that teachers are still influenced by these grades and are judgemental about your work. I hope you understand what I am saying. They will mark, stereotyping your work based on your target grade and mark it around your target grade (hence my D in history coursework), and Cs in the English Coursework. Exams, on the otherhand, are marked by someone who doesn't know you, which is much fairer in my opinion as they are going to keep a very open mind, and they are trained to mark scripts, which teachers aren't (as far as I know). I personally think this is why I 'perform' better in exams.

Rant over :colone:

P.S. sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, I am typing this in a rush so I can get back to revision lol.

In a way I agree with you but personally I think it's more a case of how harshly teachers mark in essay subjects. For example, my set is the top english set in my year and for most of, if not all of, our controlled assessments since year 10 we've consistently got some of the lowest marks out of all 7 sets, which frankly seems ridiculous since I'd say we're a pretty intelligent group compared to say, set 5 (with all due respect).

Then again, they can't be marked too harshly since they get 'moderated'? Even though nothing ever seems to happen. Looks like it could be a mystery that remains unsolved.

New to this thread btw :biggrin:
Original post by Epic Flawless

Think I'm in roughly the same position as you! :biggrin: Only need two Cs (60 UMS) for A*s in Chemistry and Biology and a B (72 UMS) in Physics, so hopefully three A*s in the bag. Like you said, best not to get complacent though. Are you on the outgoing AQA seperate science spec?
Original post by benpearson1

New to this thread btw :biggrin:

Hello and welcome to the awesomeness that is the Year 11 thread.. (mark II)
:biggrin:

prepare to be dazzled by our existence.....
Original post by benpearson1
In a way I agree with you but personally I think it's more a case of how harshly teachers mark in essay subjects. For example, my set is the top english set in my year and for most of, if not all of, our controlled assessments since year 10 we've consistently got some of the lowest marks out of all 7 sets, which frankly seems ridiculous since I'd say we're a pretty intelligent group compared to say, set 5 (with all due respect).

Then again, they can't be marked too harshly since they get 'moderated'? Even though nothing ever seems to happen. Looks like it could be a mystery that remains unsolved.

That's always happened to me too. The top English set (my class) nearly always have low grades when we do practice papers or whatever, but when we do exams we do fine.
Wo hat jeder gegangen? Es ist so still, dass ich jetzt Deutsch spreche. Das kann nur aber gut fuer meine Deutsche Pruefungen sein!