The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Spanish Unit 3 12/06/12

Looking through and was surprised not to find a thread already started about this.

How does everyone feel about the exam? What cultural topics are people doing? And does anyone have a hunch about what topic will come up in the translation?

Personally I'm doing La Casa de Bernarda Alba and studying Mexico as a Spanish-speaking region. I reckon immigration, integration or racism will come up but its just a guess.

Scroll to see replies

I was surprised too! Yes I agree with you on the translations - that hasn't come up before. I would love environmentto come up but I doubt it will. If medicine comes up that will be awful!
Reply 2
I've thought that it might be racism or at least something under that topic. Which I would be happy with. I don't really like environment.

Hoping for good essay questions!!
Anyone got any ideas?

I'm doing 'Las Bicicletas son para el Verano' and 'Todo Sobre mi Madre'...
Reply 3
What has everyone been doing to revise? Apart from learning specific vocab and essay plans i have been struggling!
Reply 4
Yep, specification and June 2010 were both environment, June 2011 was public order.
So I'm guessing anything from multicultural society or science/wealth+poverty
Reply 5
Original post by kto5000
What has everyone been doing to revise? Apart from learning specific vocab and essay plans i have been struggling!

Languages are hard to revise for! Its not a specification based subject is it, you learn and accumulate throughout the year I reckon!
Reply 6
Original post by kto5000

I've done essay plans and practice translations. Also done past paper questions, particularly on the questions I find difficult.

But I do agree with TommyCricket languages are SO hard to revise for... It is accumulation over the year and luck on the day really.

Let's hope for a brilliant paper tomorrow!

I think I'd cry if the translation was science :frown:
Reply 7
I'm freaking out now! I really don't know how to revise plus there aren't that many past papers! Anyone got any links to translations etc?
I'm doing Bernarda, get the facts mixed up with the transition - hate it!

I've just been doing all the past papers - AQA, Edexcel, OCR etc. - all the boards and reading through the book for the essay.

Don't sweat - this time tomorrow it'll all be over (nearly!) :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by MissCellaneous94
I'm doing Bernarda, get the facts mixed up with the transition - hate it!

I've just been doing all the past papers - AQA, Edexcel, OCR etc. - all the boards and reading through the book for the essay.

Don't sweat - this time tomorrow it'll all be over (nearly!) :wink:

This time tomorrow it wont have started! :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by TommyCricket
Languages are hard to revise for! Its not a specification based subject is it, you learn and accumulate throughout the year I reckon!

yep, if we don't know the language by now we are stuffed haha
Reply 11
What time is the exam? Has anyone done any past papers? I have a day to revise and I'm not quite sure what to do.
Original post by TommyCricket
This time tomorrow it wont have started! :frown:

Yeh, true :rolleyes: What did you get at AS?
Reply 13
194/200, hoping for an A* if I can :smile:
Reply 14
In my school we've only ever done one past translation :| I'm so grateful it's only worth 10 marks. Any predictions of what might come up for Literature and the arts?
we havent done many translations either...
im doing pans lab and hoping for techniques used or influences, but hopefully not describe and evaluate.
hoping on a nice translation too, really not prepared for science as we didnt look at it even, so hoping for immigration.
i need an A to get an A overall, so im hoping for the best!!
Reply 16
Original post by chucklybunny08
we havent done many translations either...
im doing pans lab and hoping for techniques used or influences, but hopefully not describe and evaluate.
hoping on a nice translation too, really not prepared for science as we didnt look at it even, so hoping for immigration.
i need an A to get an A overall, so im hoping for the best!!

What vocab comes up in the translations? We haven't really done any anthing apart from discursive
Original post by Soph(:
In my school we've only ever done one past translation :| I'm so grateful it's only worth 10 marks. Any predictions of what might come up for Literature and the arts?

Remember that there are two translations, each of which are worth 10 marks each.

I'm only considering doing literature (Allende's The House of The Spirits) for the essay. I've been (I know, I'm sad!) looking at all of the previous questions that have come up for all three languages (same specification) and here's somethings that have never been asked before for Spanish:

1) A question based on an episode or scene, e.g. analyse the end of the book etc. that you have studied, do you think it's an appropriate conclusion to the story? (Questions based on episodes and scenes have come up in French and German, but only for the poet/playwright. However, these categories do seem to share questions.)

2) A question based on the development of themes or characters, e.g. What do you think is the most important theme in the novel etc. that you have studied? How does this theme develop throughout the work? (This sort of thing has come up for French.)

3) Questions based on the success of the author is achieving their aims. e.g. To what extent does the author achieve their aims? (This has come up quite a bit, but never for Spanish, I believe.)

4) Something weird but generic. e.g. How important is love in the work that you have studied? (There have been some very random titles, including one for German asking about 'heroes'.)

I know those questions aren't in a realistic format! Here is the mock that I shall write myself:

Un autor hispanohablante

EITHER (a) En tu opinión, ¿quién es el personaje más importante en la(s) obra(s) del autor que has estudiado? ¿Cómo cambia en la historia? (40 marks)

OR (b) ¿En qué medida juegan los conflictos entre los personages un gran papel en la(s) obra(s) del autor que has estudiado? Explica tus opinions. (40 marks)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Soph(:
What vocab comes up in the translations? We haven't really done any anthing apart from discursive

These are the items of vocabulary from the specimen, 2010 and 2011 in the translations that I found difficult.

It's shamelessly colourful :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by With an Accent
These are the items of vocabulary from the specimen, 2010 and 2011 in the translations that I found difficult.

It's shamelessly colourful :wink:

I actually love you! Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending