The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roy064
Elaborate.

One of the students in the Law Society said that Rootes was known for being full of drunk people :P
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
can anyone help me choose the ones that would be best for me pleassee :smile:

i'll be doing English & preferably want an en suite, a 30 week let and corridors only- don't fancy a flat. i know you can only apply for one 30 week en suite and so i'm thinking Westwood & Rootes. i know westwood is far but i travelled 1hr20 to get to my college with a good deal of walking so i don't care too much and i hear the rooms are massive which I would like. nor do i mind that Rootes is loud or whatever, i'm up for going out and i'm pretty good at making myself work. so right now i've decided:

1. JM
2. Rootes
3. Westwood

any pointers on where else i could apply? i really want something sociable!! picking 5 options is hard when there isn't much to choose from
Reply 4922
Original post by BayBee323
can anyone help me choose the ones that would be best for me pleassee :smile:

i'll be doing English & preferably want an en suite, a 30 week let and corridors only- don't fancy a flat. i know you can only apply for one 30 week en suite and so i'm thinking Westwood & Rootes. i know westwood is far but i travelled 1hr20 to get to my college with a good deal of walking so i don't care too much and i hear the rooms are massive which I would like. nor do i mind that Rootes is loud or whatever, i'm up for going out and i'm pretty good at making myself work. so right now i've decided:

1. JM
2. Rootes
3. Westwood

any pointers on where else i could apply? i really want something sociable!! picking 5 options is hard when there isn't much to choose from

The options left for you to choose from are Bluebell, Cryfield, Sherbourne, Whitefields so you would need two more out of these. Presumably you're looking for a 30-week let to save money so I'll look at that as well.

Bluebell is probably not a good choice - it's the most expensive and it has flats with high security between them. However, it is ensuite and it does have big rooms.

Sherbourne is similar to Bluebell, although it is a bit cheaper, working out at about £600 more than Jack Martin over the whole year. It is further away but you're not worrying about that. Also its rooms are only slightly smaller than in Westwood.

Cryfield is the cheapest option there and has corridors but the rooms are smaller and it doesn't have ensuite.

Whitefields is made up of lots of small buildings so you wouldn't get the benefits of living in corridors. Also it's not ensuite and the rooms are fairly small as well.

Looking at this, I'd say you should put Sherbourne above Bluebell and put Cryfield above Whitefields.

So the choice comes down to either picking two more 'expensive' choices (Sherbourne/Bluebell) or two more 'cheaper' choices (Cryfield/Whitefields) or a mixture (Sherbourne/Cryfield).

You did say you want somewhere sociable so, although Sherbourne doesn't yet have a reputation yet because it's new, I would expect it to be fairly quiet overall so it would probably be better to put Cryfield as your fourth choice. This leaves you with either Whitefields or Sherbourne to go in the 5th position. Out of those, I'd say Sherbourne would probably be better so put that one as 5th choice.
Hey guys :smile:

After agonizing over my accommodation choices for WEEKS now, I finally made my 5 choices! Now I'm going to let things be and let the wind blow where it wants to. Haha.

I noticed that most people here are the same - they are sociable and want to meet new people yet want the occasional peace and quiet for 'me' time and also to study.
So I guess we all want the best of both worlds eh? XD

To those out there who are still trying to make up your mind, just go with the hall that you feel deep in your gut is the best one for you and your goals for the year. Since we have no control over which one we get into, we'll just have to make do with whatever we get anyway. And either way, I do believe that no matter what hall we get into, we will adapt and somehow realize it was for the better in the end!

:biggrin:
"A 30-week let covers term time only, and requires you to vacate your room during the Christmas and Easter Vacation. You will not be able to extend the 30-week let. However you will be able to apply for vacation accommodation on campus prior to the start of each vacation period."

I would just like to know how much would the vacation accommodation be? thanks :smile:
Reply 4925
Original post by xinxin
"A 30-week let covers term time only, and requires you to vacate your room during the Christmas and Easter Vacation. You will not be able to extend the 30-week let. However you will be able to apply for vacation accommodation on campus prior to the start of each vacation period."

I would just like to know how much would the vacation accommodation be? thanks :smile:

According to http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/rootesreception/faq/#vacationaccommodation it's £13 per room per night.
What did everyone put for the question that goes like this;
"Will you accept a mixed/single sex area if your preference is not available?"
I put that I didn't want a single-sex area in the previous question.
I would rather not go in a single-sex place, but would answering yes to the above question give me a better chance of getting one of my preferred residence?
Thanks!
Original post by Jonesy_16_
What did everyone put for the question that goes like this;
"Will you accept a mixed/single sex area if your preference is not available?"
I put that I didn't want a single-sex area in the previous question.
I would rather not go in a single-sex place, but would answering yes to the above question give me a better chance of getting one of my preferred residence?
Thanks!

Not necessarily. Only certain accommodation blocks have single-sex areas (that I'm aware of). Anyway, even if it did, ask yourself whether you really want to be associating with the type of people who would want a single-sex area anyway :yep:
Reply 4929
As I will be coming to Warwick for a LLM this September I was wondering what the chances for postgrad accommodation on campus for me were, being a EU student - and thus not "international enough" to have a room guaranteed :wink:

It would be great if anyone could tell me whether I might have a chance or whether the halls will all be filled with overseas students. If the latter were the case I would maybe have to think about taking up the offer to study at Warwick ...

Thanks in advance!
phews... just finished my accommodation application.
did it so hastily that i can't even remember my answers to the questions about quiet areas and single sex areas.. :smile:
What is the walk back to Westwood like at night from say, the SU? Is the area well lit?
Original post by xinxin
What is the walk back to Westwood like at night from say, the SU? Is the area well lit?

There are several different routes you can take back to Westwood. If you take the one going past university house, yes, it's well lit, the route is through campus which is very secure and the final stretch is along a main road. If you have any worries about getting from central campus to Westwood, the university runs a shuttle bus between the two (though I've never taken it, so I don't know the times or frequencies it runs).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xinxin

Personally I wouldn't walk it alone.

There have been various attacks on that route over the years. However, given the number of people who walk it every day, it is a very low number. Still, better safe than sorry.
Original post by Nirgilis
There are several different routes you can take back to Westwood. If you take the one going past university house, yes, it's well lit, the route is through campus which is very secure and the final stretch is along a main road. If you have any worries about getting from central campus to Westwood, the university runs a shuttle bus between the two (though I've never taken it, so I don't know the times or frequencies it runs).

Original post by georgia

There have been various attacks on that route over the years. However, given the number of people who walk it every day, it is a very low number. Still, better safe than sorry.

Thanks! This has just swayed me away from Westwood =P
Original post by xinxin
Thanks! This has just swayed me away from Westwood =P

I mean, if you end up in it you'll probably be fine and it is most definitely not the end of the world......

......but I wouldn't put it down on an accommodation application myself.
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what have people put in their brief description of themselves? I go to bed and get up depending on what I have going on the next day so I don't really know if I'm a late or early riser :/. Also I can be quiet AND loud depending on the situation :/. Also what have people put for interests?
Original post by JustSayin'
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what have people put in their brief description of themselves? I go to bed and get up depending on what I have going on the next day so I don't really know if I'm a late or early riser :/. Also I can be quiet AND loud depending on the situation :/. Also what have people put for interests?

some of my friends have put that they are into loud music, cooks a lot, plays musical instruments and stuff like that. you can basically put anything about yourself that you want them to take note of..
i personally just put down anything about me that came to mind, so it was a lot of random stuff..
Original post by georgia

da fuq, people at the university attack other students?
Original post by DontBeJelBeReem
da fuq, people at the university attack other students?

No. Just because it's a university doesn't stop anybody else from wondering onto it. Plus, given the proximity to Coventry... I'm sure you can put two and two together :holmes:

You can find articles on The Boar's website (The university's student newspaper) about campus attacks, but there are far more articles on keeping accommodation secure on campus and in the surrounding areas. While I would say stay vigilant, burglary is far more likely on campus than issues with personal safety.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending