The Student Room Group

MA in Publishing at UCL - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by IK237
So how exactly do you view your references on Portico?

Both of my referees just submitted their references this morning.

Underneath 'View my application form' there's a tab that says 'Other documents' - open up the .pdf file and you can see them!
Original post by Ghost6

Edit: What is surprising is that you can read the references of people who checked the 'Do not allow applicants to see the references' box. On the other hand, the references form explicitly says that the data protection act allows applicants to request a copy of the references.

Because if the applicant disagrees with the reference neither the referee nor UCL want to get bogged down in the applicant trying to counter what was said by sending in additional material, additional references etc. However, after the event (or at least the 21 days they have to respond to a DP request) you can see what was said about you after the fact.
Reply 42
Original post by teludaa
Underneath 'View my application form' there's a tab that says 'Other documents' - open up the .pdf file and you can see them!

The only documents I can see are the ones I submitted. Does this indicate that my referees are preventing me from viewing their references?
Reply 43
Hey guys ts kinda like my dream to go to UCL and i was just wondering, do they put any emphasis on certain things like GCSEs, extra circurlars etc. I would love to study Economics or Economics with stats.

Do UCL also favour atate school students over private as i go to a all boys private school called John Lyon in Harrow

I got 6 A*s 4As at GCSE, and i'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy&Ethics for AS and A2. I do quite a bit of extra circurlar like school plays & musicals, I play the piano, I am in my school Football and cricket teams, I am doing DofE Gold, and general duties around the school. Also i may do EPQ, but do you think this is a good idea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thank youu!!
Original post by Wa 007
Hey guys ts kinda like my dream to go to UCL and i was just wondering, do they put any emphasis on certain things like GCSEs, extra circurlars etc. I would love to study Economics or Economics with stats.

Do UCL also favour atate school students over private as i go to a all boys private school called John Lyon in Harrow

I got 6 A*s 4As at GCSE, and i'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy&Ethics for AS and A2. I do quite a bit of extra circurlar like school plays & musicals, I play the piano, I am in my school Football and cricket teams, I am doing DofE Gold, and general duties around the school. Also i may do EPQ, but do you think this is a good idea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thank youu!!

You'd be better off asking in either the UCL forum itself, or the 'Ask A Current Student' Thread - this thread is for people who are applying to UCL for posgraduate courses (so are often doing their undergraduate degree elsewhere).

-----

This thread has finally made me get off my arse and start doing stuff xD I'm currently drafting my PS, have sent off for academic transcripts, and am going to ask my dissertation supervisor about references when I see him Thursday.
Reply 45
Reply 46
Original post by Akkuz
Which course??

Statistics.
Reply 47
Original post by IK237
The only documents I can see are the ones I submitted. Does this indicate that my referees are preventing me from viewing their references?

Not sure because one of my referees also checked the "Do not allow the applicant to see the references" but I can see it nonetheless.
Reply 48
Now I can see it as well.

Sometimes they choose a 9 instead of a 10. Oo
Reply 49
Fully submitted my UCL app now!

Anyone else applying for MSc Management?
Both the tutors I've asked are willing to write me a reference :biggrin:
Feel like I'm actually beginning to get somewhere now. Just got to get on with my statement.
Reply 51
Original post by Akkuz
Fully submitted my UCL app now!

Anyone else applying for MSc Management?

I've applied to MSc management at UCL too! and the same courses you have applied for in Kings and QM. My referees have uploaded their reference recently so now I have to be patient for a response.
Reply 52
Original post by IK237
I've applied to MSc management at UCL too! and the same courses you have applied for in Kings and QM. My referees have uploaded their reference recently so now I have to be patient for a response.

Sweet! I will send you an inbox message :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by Akkuz
Sweet! I will send you an inbox message :biggrin:

where are you studying and what??
Reply 54
I don't think the statement of purpose plays any role whatsoever for taught courses, since basically everyone writes the same. I think grades, and perhaps even more importantly references are the factors that make or break the application.
Original post by Ghost6
I don't think the statement of purpose plays any role whatsoever for taught courses, since basically everyone writes the same. I think grades, and perhaps even more importantly references are the factors that make or break the application.

Yes I agree, personal statement/statement of purpose plays no role for taught MSc courses at any university.
Reply 56
Sent off my applications °.°

Do you guys know how common it is to get invited for an interview for a postgraduate course...? I really suck at interviews, I'm so scared they'll ask me for one -___-;;
Reply 57
Original post by MiaMoo
Sent off my applications °.°

Do you guys know how common it is to get invited for an interview for a postgraduate course...? I really suck at interviews, I'm so scared they'll ask me for one -___-;;

For taught courses it is unusual but for research degrees you should expect to be interviewed
Reply 58
Original post by Ghost6
For taught courses it is unusual but for research degrees you should expect to be interviewed

Don't be so sure... I was interviewed for my MSc in Health Psychology at UCL. A friend who did a forensic MSc at another uni had to have an interview for that as well (both taught masters)
Maybe it's just a psychology thing?
Reply 59
Original post by LydiaM123
Don't be so sure... I was interviewed for my MSc in Health Psychology at UCL. A friend who did a forensic MSc at another uni had to have an interview for that as well (both taught masters)
Maybe it's just a psychology thing?

I expected to be interviewed for my course (as I am sort of changing discipline) but I wasn't. Perhaps it just is a psych thing!

Quick Reply

Latest